• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting RS Venture -06

Country
Other
Snowmobile
RS Venture TF -06
Hello.

This might sound like a really stupid question but I cannot find anything about it in the manual so.

My Venture TF -06 is abit hard to start in cold temperatures (starting from -10C and colder).
It hit me that when I turn the key to ON mode - should there be any fuel pump or similar running/priming?
Now I cannot hear anything until I start to crank the engine.

Also how much does the viscosity of the oil affect the starting in cold temperatures?

Thanks in advance.

the 3 cyl always cranks harder in the cold vs 4 cyl. we use 0w40 yamalube synthetic as that is what cranks the fastest. at -30 to -40 it is best to crank it with the boost pack right from the start for the 1st start of the day. do not let go of the key on the fist cough as it will quit and become harder to start. wait until it hits on 3 cyl before you let go of the key.

If its carberated then NO. Only the EFI had a electronic fuel pump. Have you given it full choke?

Okay, thanks!
Yes always using the choke when cold.

the 3 cyl always cranks harder in the cold vs 4 cyl. we use 0w40 yamalube synthetic as that is what cranks the fastest. at -30 to -40 it is best to crank it with the boost pack right from the start for the 1st start of the day. do not let go of the key on the fist cough as it will quit and become harder to start. wait until it hits on 3 cyl before you let go of the key.

Thank you for the answer.
I have no idea what kind of oil the previous owner put in it but next season I will put 0w40.

I have the Noco Boost which i will use if needed, when at home I have the possibility to start it from a couple of different sources but in March we are going offgrid for 1 month to a place with no electricity so I would really like all tips and tricks I can get to get it started cold.

What are your thoughts about Startspray or similar solutions? Do they help at all?

And if I get the chance to heat it with hot water or like a flame from a gas stove where should i aim to put the heat for maximum effect and minimum damage?

As you may notice I really need all the advice.

Need 0W30 or 0W40 oil, is a must for cold weather. Full choke, and crank to start. Start easing off the choke when idle increases, but not too quickly, in small increments. If you need to boost above -20 deg celcius, you probably need a new battery. Quickstart ether spray will make the sled start quicker only if the sled is cranking over quick enough. Need to pop the cover off the airbox, and give a squirt into each of the three air intakes. Then crank immediately. You may need to do this several times before the engine keeps running, so leave the airbox cover off until engine is running well. However, usually only have to do this at the start of the season when all the fuel has evaporated from the carbs.

Need 0W30 or 0W40 oil, is a must for cold weather. Full choke, and crank to start. Start easing off the choke when idle increases, but not too quickly, in small increments. If you need to boost above -20 deg celcius, you probably need a new battery. Quickstart ether spray will make the sled start quicker only if the sled is cranking over quick enough. Need to pop the cover off the airbox, and give a squirt into each of the three air intakes. Then crank immediately. You may need to do this several times before the engine keeps running, so leave the airbox cover off until engine is running well. However, usually only have to do this at the start of the season when all the fuel has evaporated from the carbs.

Thank you for the answer!

I tried starting it today, it's been like -12C the whole day.
I had to crank it (with choke on) 3 times x 10 seconds before it started. It backfired once and started after that.
But 3x10 seconds is kind of the maximum time I can crank it before the battery starts to slow down (the cranking), is that normal or should i look for a new battery?
The previous owner said that he bought the battery in the end of last season and i belive him, it looks new. What i don't know is if it is good enough for starting a 1000cc 4stroke.

I once this season tried starting it without success, it was around (-17C) and the engine cranked pretty fast if you ask me but nothing more happened. After alot of cranking the battery gave up and i hooked it to the car battery - choke on and it started immediately.
Does that mean the main problem with the battery is that it doesnt "crank fast enough"?

If i buy a new battery what should i look for? Ah? CCA?
Weight of the battery is not an issue for me, i just want the damn snowmobile to start when i need it. :)

that is the main problem with starting the 3 cyl in the cold. stock battery is not quite enough to spin it fast enough to light off. a freind with an efi venture did this for his starting ritual in the really cold temps. he would rotate the clutch by hand until it turned free to get frost off of cylinders. then he would put the boost pack on the battery and cycle the key 3 times to pressurize efi, efi sleds only, and then he would crank it over and hold the key until it fired up on all cyl.

a couple of the old rx1 tricks for the cold starts, witch i researched before i bought my 1st 4 stroke, is to pour boiling water over the carbs before trying to start it to warm up the gas and air in the carbs. when starting like this do not shut off until at full operating temp.

another one is to put a hand warmer element onto the side of the oil tank and run it off of the head light or battery on another running sled. the guy that posted this (if memory serves) would use the trailer light plug on his truck to run the element for about 30 min before he tried to start his sled.

everywhere i am going nowadays has a generator for lights or to top off solar system, so i installed coolant heaters on both my apex. 30 min on old 1000w generator it should crank like it is summer.

Quickstart ether spray will make the sled start quicker only if the sled is cranking over quick enough. Need to pop the cover off the airbox, and give a squirt into each of the three air intakes. Then crank immediately. You may need to do this several times before the engine keeps running, so leave the airbox cover off until engine is running well. However, usually only have to do this at the start of the season when all the fuel has evaporated from the carbs.

That exact procedure almost cost me 2 sleds and a trailer! I was on the second round of spraying some starting fluid in when I tried starting, it backfired out the intake, and caught the airbox on fire! (turns out that the overspray from the ether plus the oil residue in the airbox makes for a nice campfire!) Sprinted into the shed, grabbed an extinguisher, and got it out with minimal damage. Still had to replace the airbox just for cosmetic reasons though.

Now, if I have to use starting spray (which in general isn't a good idea anyway), the airbox lid is always back on with at least 2 clamps on opposite sides holding it. If it does that with the cover on, it will quickly self-extinguish.

that is the main problem with starting the 3 cyl in the cold. stock battery is not quite enough to spin it fast enough to light off. a freind with an efi venture did this for his starting ritual in the really cold temps. he would rotate the clutch by hand until it turned free to get frost off of cylinders. then he would put the boost pack on the battery and cycle the key 3 times to pressurize efi, efi sleds only, and then he would crank it over and hold the key until it fired up on all cyl.

a couple of the old rx1 tricks for the cold starts, witch i researched before i bought my 1st 4 stroke, is to pour boiling water over the carbs before trying to start it to warm up the gas and air in the carbs. when starting like this do not shut off until at full operating temp.

another one is to put a hand warmer element onto the side of the oil tank and run it off of the head light or battery on another running sled. the guy that posted this (if memory serves) would use the trailer light plug on his truck to run the element for about 30 min before he tried to start his sled.

everywhere i am going nowadays has a generator for lights or to top off solar system, so i installed coolant heaters on both my apex. 30 min on old 1000w generator it should crank like it is summer.
Thanks for the input.

Since I dont have electricity during the coming month I think I will use the warm water trick.

Still any ideas on what battery will have the power to crank it hard enough?

And to be honest it actually really pisses me off that a machine that is made for winter doesn't start in winter. I mean -10C to -15C is not that cold. There must be a way to manufacture a snowmobile that can function atleast as good as every car on the planet.

Another thing that helps is just use regular gas as it has a lower ignition point. Premium takes more to light it off. So if your engine doesnt need it don't use higher octane.

Another thing that helps is just use regular gas as it has a lower ignition point. Premium takes more to light it off. So if your engine doesnt need it don't use higher octane.

I use regular gas for it. Here in Finland it is 95 (with 10% ethanol) or 98 (with 5% ethanol) my use manual I think says 88 octane or higher.

So if someone with similar "problems" reads this thread I just wanted to say that:
Today was around -14 degrees celsius, tried starting the snowmobile, cranked it 2 times 10 seconds - not even the smallest hint of starting.
Then i hooked it up to my Noco boost and it did not even start to crank but instead instantly started!

That tells me that the battery is too weak it just doesnt spin the engine fast enough.

Right now i have a quality battery from Exide in it. Practically fully charged. 18A and 270CCA only 8 months old.

That leaves me with 2 options.
- The battery which is as good as new is faulty in some way.
OR
- Fully charged 18A and 270CCA is not enough for a 1000cc 4stroke.

Back