• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starts - Eventually

jkraeger

Veteran
Never had trouble starting my phazer last year. This year its a different story. Every time I go to start it after it sits overnight or for the week it takes longer and longer to start turning over. I turn the key to on and let the fuel prime up. Click it to start and nothing not even a click. I have to do this a couple dozen times and then I'll eventually get a click each time. Do it a few more times and it will turn over and start. Seems like over this season it takes longer and longer to start each week. Once the sled is warmed up it starts fine every time. Do I need new relays? Or is this a starter issue? I was just dealing with the issue but now its really annoying!

I would check the connections at the battery first. Pull them off and clean them. Then put a little grease on them afterwards. You may be buliding up resistance at the connection and can not pull enough current to engage the starter.

I'm experiencing this issue as well. I turn the key and all I get is the selenoid click. We warmed the engine bay with a blow dryer and a blanket before it would start.

it's cold, pull it indoors, charge the battery, start it, pull it outside again, let it sit for a day or so and check your battery again to see if it has charge. mine did the same to me at the start of the season. also check all your relays, and remember just because they look good doesn't mean they are...these things are cheap and it never hurts to have a few extras around incase a fuse fails on the trail (likely wont happen but it's always good to be safe).

So it did it to me again tonight so all I did was put the charger on it for ten minutes in my cold garage and it started right away, so after it was off I double checked the battery connections and they were tight and clean. So this makes me think that I have a battery issue.

Weapon X,

Is your battery still at approx 12.5 volts after it has been sitting for a while? Maybe you could check the voltage when the fuel pump is priming to see if it is pulling it down or put a load tester on the battery to see if it is OK. Just a thought. I personally still would not rule out a bad connection. Pulling it in the garage and putting the charger on it may give it just enough time to warm up a little and make a decent connection again. How about the ground connection to the chassis? What is your battery charging at when the sled is running?

Warmth

It definitely has something to do with the sled being warm. Or like I said a relay warming up enough by applying current to it by holding the key on for extended periods. Or could it be that I'm in need of a new battery? What type of relays are used? Anyone have a part number? Dealer only or auto parts store? this only happens the first time the sled is started after sitting overnight. Doesn;t have to be that cold out either. Out on the trails is starts right up every time.

they're just standard short body fuses, easy to find...hell you should be able to buy them at your local gas station...if not napa has all the fuses and relays you're gonna need

I am still thinking this is a bad connection somewhere. After it starts for the first time of the day the connection has made continuity again and is OK until it sits overnight again. The battery chargers are also probably helping with continuity also. It may also be the starter solenoid going bad. As far as the battery, check the voltage directly at the battery terminals after it sits overnight. Then check the voltage at the battery cables on the battery. This should read approx 12.5 volts at both places. If reading 12 v or less your battery is probably going bad.

Back