• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

stator ohm reading Help

BigDogrx1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 rx1
Hello Guys, Iam putting new bushings in frt end, looked at plug from stator and thought to check ohms, repair manual says should read 0.19-0.24
Mine reads 1.9-2.1 and 1.2 outer to outer pins. Any reason or opinions, help would be appreciated, Larry

just a guess, but your readings are both off by a decimal point to norm... Perhaps you set your meter different ???

That's what I wondered to, but I tryed every setting on ohm meter, and had my neighbor (30yr electrician) and he got same reading,

Is the air temp you checked your readings at close to what the book calls for. I was testing a stator last year and I found out that the readings can change with the air temp and the book usually calls for a certain reading at a certain air temp. I also talked to a mechanic about it and he said the best way to see if the stator is bad is to make sure there isn't a short. You shouldn't read 0 ohm's to ground. He said if the reading is off a little that it doesn't mean its a bad stator. He also told the digital meter I used wasn't accurate enough, I needed a analog meter. I don't know what kind of meter you used, but that's what I went through last year trouble shooting my old Viper stator to find out that wasn't the problem and it turned out to be a broken wire. Hope this helps.

Superfan75, thanks for responding, ya book says read at 68deg, it was about 45/50deg when I checked both times.
my meter is a cheap digital one, but neighbors is high dollar one, I don't think it would be a bad wire from my readings, thanks again, guess I need to pull belt and run it up to 5k rpms for a couple seconds to make sure charge is right, book says do it that way, anymore help? LARRY

Superfan75, thanks for responding, ya book says read at 68deg, it was about 45/50deg when I checked both times.
my meter is a cheap digital one, but neighbors is high dollar one, I don't think it would be a bad wire from my readings, thanks again, guess I need to pull belt and run it up to 5k rpms for a couple seconds to make sure charge is right, book says do it that way, anymore help? LARRY
were your reading correct or stator bad?

Back