• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

steering

I have seen a post on here about Schmidt Bros. has a shim kit that takes about 95% of play out. I have had the ball joint update done and still have the play, going to try their shim kit next.

It has been discussed here before about the amount of play the Phazer's have in the steering. When you have the sled apart, take a look at the amount of linkage and joints from the handlebars down to the spindles. Each one adds to the amount of play. If your ball joints or any steering joints are worn it will add to the already loose steering. Take a look at a new Phazer if you get a chance. Brand new the steering has a lot of play. The bushings in the a-arms do wear quite quickly. The Schimdt Brothers shims should help and may also want to install the oilite bushings from Ulmer. Here is the link. Look under accessories for the Phazer for the bushings. Some have also added grease zerks to the a-arms. This has been on my list of things to do. Ultimately unless you steering is super loose I do not think it should affect the way sleds handle in general. If that makes sense.

http://www.ulmerracing.com/

4strokepilot said:
I have seen a post on here about Schmidt Bros. has a shim kit that takes about 95% of play out. I have had the ball joint update done and still have the play, going to try their shim kit next.

I added gress zerk like 08RTX did. I have the shim kit in my sled and I loved it, it made cornig at easyier on my, I was putting a little less effort in to turning. It cheaper then the ball joint mod, and if something goes wrong it cost $$$. Also, the USCC would not let me race with the mod. I take some messement of the shim and PM them to you. I am preety sure you can find some washers that size.

t.crawford714 said:
Why is the Phazer so hard to turn other than like Polaris and Ski-doo? Is it because of the play?
No, note becaues of play.
Its not direct like some sleds. It goes into lingages. then also the angle on witch the tie rods are placed, sterring collom and the 90 shaft.

That and the fact that its sitting under a 4-stroke motor rather than 2 stroke which weighs 1/2 as much, lol.

Back