• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sticky/corroded throttle body causing TORS (code 84)

rnoonan

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer FX
After a good season of riding last year with no trouble with the throttle at all, my throttle is sticking pretty badly. Not too surprising, since I needed to do some major repairs on the rear suspension and waiting for some of the parts from Partzilla took forever, so it has been a long time since I fired the sled up and used the throttle.

Squeezing the throttle is really stiff and when released it doesn't return at all causing a TORS error right away. I opened up and removed the airbox and it is clear that the cable is fine and moves totally freely, but the wheel/spring on the throttle bottle is sticking bad, probably due to corrosion. I can close it manually and the TORS error goes away. Seems like the exact issue that I found in a thread in the Apex forum:

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/code-84-tors-throttle-body-corroded.94849/

I'm going to try cleaning and lubricating to see if I can get it working nicely again, but I wanted to post here in order to get any advice or recommendations on where exactly to lubricate, things to watch out for, and what to use for lubrication. The thread I mentioned talks about a product only available at Grainger that doesn't sound like just anybody can purchase, so I think I need an alternative.

Can that wheel be removed for better cleaning/lubrication, or is that probably not something I should mess with. Seems pretty hard to get in there and I don't want to screw up the whole mechanism trying to clean it.

Thanks a lot for any pointers or advice here.

you do not want to use lube on there as it can cause it to gum up worse later. i was told by my instuctors at trade school to only use carb and choke cleaner to lube/clean those shafts as carbs where still around back then and the instructor told us a few of the issues he had with guys using oil on them.

Thanks a lot maim, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I am very much learning on the fly here, so I appreciate the help.

Would brake cleaner be similar to carb and choke cleaner, at least just for initially cleaning things up? I used that to clean up the parts for the suspension work and it worked great and seemed to evaporate away quickly.

For lubricating, I have some SeaFoam Deep Creep. Any thoughts on using that after cleaning? I can return that and get the carb and choke cleaner if you don't think that would be a good idea.

Any thoughts on where to apply? In particular, I was wondering about cleaning/lubing the joints inside the cylinder where the flappers are (not sure if that is what they are called). Should I stay away from messing with anything inside of those cylinders?

Thanks again for the tip.

try the brake clean only and let it evaporate well before starting the engine.

i would not use the deep creep.

you are on the right track with where you want to apply it. i would spray by the throttle plates on the inside and on the outside where you can see the shaft. then work it by hand spraying it with the brake clean until it moves freely on its own.

I finally got a chance to do this last night. To be on the safe side, I went ahead and bought some carb and throttle body cleaner and did essentially what you suggested. It took quite a bit of spraying and manually working it by hand (mostly on the spring mechanism outside the throttle body), but it finally freed up and is now moving nicely.

Thanks again for all the advice, especially the advice to use carb cleaner only. I might have messed things up if I had followed my original thinking!

Back