• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stiff ZX2

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
I have been running my ZX2 for a full year now and love the skid but........I have rode a few other sleds this year and have found that the ride of the ZX2 is quite a bit stiffer and bumpier ride. On the bigger bumps at faster speeds it does good but the groomers haven't been out this year yet and there are alot of washboards on the trails and I have realy noticed how stiff the suspension is. I drove my brothers F1000 and it was so much smoother of a ride that the ZX2. I would like to soften up the ride some so it is a bit more user friendly on the washboards. I ride trails and wide open lakes and I don't jump. 99% of the bumps that I encounter are the washboards on the trails. I weigh about 270ish with my riding gear on. What can be done to the shocks to improve the ride. I believe my preload on the springs are on the 3rd setting. Would lightening the preload help with this or is this more ov a shock revale thing.

spring

Set it to 1 and were are you pins set at.

zx2

That's good so just go to preload 1.

I felt exactly the same way with two years on my ZX2. I just had hygear revalve the shocks and so far with limited miles its much smoother/softer. This is speeds up to 100 in small to medium bumps. i haven't hit any large moguls yet however I'm much happier now with the ZX2.

Good to know, thanks. I will try setting the springs to the lowest setting and give it a try first before I start revalving. Once the weather warms up warmer that -35c.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I talked to Frank at shock tech in Ontario. He said he has revalved several ZX2 shocks because of them being so stiff. He said $60 a shock to service and revalve. Looks like my shocks are heading east in the new year. May as well, temps have been bouncing between -30c to -42c here for the past three weeks and doesn't look like it is going to break any time soon.

You won't regret it. I've had Franks do my mono and this past summer do my ZX2 shocks for the same reason. So far with very, very limited riding, they seem way better. I had extremely stiff springs though. Couldn't make it squat at all when on it. Believe it or not I actually put the springs from my old front shocks on the ZX2 shocks. Almost a perfect fit. Just a bit softer. So far so good....

That's what I want to here. Frank did my wifes mono shock last year also and she is much happier compared to what it was before. He also told me that he could make the stock ski shocks perform way better than stock. I was looking at maybe getting some different onse but he sugested just rebuilding/revalving the stock ones. Says they are actualy a very decent shock but the need revalving from the factory settings. So you put the springs from your ski shocks on the zx2 shocks. I'm 270ish with my gear on so the stock springs should be good. But once I get the shocks back, if it still feels stiff, it's an option to try. I hope this works because I really like this skid but not the stiff ride.

Yes that is what I did. I know it sounds weird, but I saw them sitting on the shelf and thought.... maybe... sure enough, they work well for me so far, but I'm 170 lbs. That may factor into it a bit as well. Frank told me as well a lot of people say that the zx2 shocks are too stiff.

All this stuff is good to know now that they aren't making these skids any more. Eventually parts are going to hard to get so other and cheaper options need to be found. Thanks for the info

Well I'm feeling a little stupid now, but relieved. I was getting ready to take the skid out to send the shocks away for a revalve and did a double look at the spring settings. When I looked before I could have swore they were on the softest setting, but as it turns out they were on the stiffest setting. I turned them to the softest setting and went for a spin. Complete day and night difference. It took the studder bumps way better and my but actualy stayed on the seat for most of them. Had some brutal wind here for the past couple days and it drifted up the lakes real bad and the skid soaked them up and was realy smooth compared to before even at the slower speeds. To be honest I thought the shocks must have had some serious valving in them because I am 265# without any riding gear so I msut be close to 280# with. If the shocks were too stiff for me, the average 170#-200# guy would realy notice it. Any way, I am alot happier with the ride now.

stomper said:
Well I'm feeling a little stupid now, but relieved. I was getting ready to take the skid out to send the shocks away for a revalve and did a double look at the spring settings. When I looked before I could have swore they were on the softest setting, but as it turns out they were on the stiffest setting. I turned them to the softest setting and went for a spin. Complete day and night difference. It took the studder bumps way better and my but actualy stayed on the seat for most of them. Had some brutal wind here for the past couple days and it drifted up the lakes real bad and the skid soaked them up and was realy smooth compared to before even at the slower speeds. To be honest I thought the shocks must have had some serious valving in them because I am 265# without any riding gear so I msut be close to 280# with. If the shocks were too stiff for me, the average 170#-200# guy would realy notice it. Any way, I am alot happier with the ride now.

You must have the hard springs installed because on mine I have the medium springs and with the setting on 4 out of seven... The ride us like a jaguar while going slow then a Porsche
Once I turn up the heat.... Occasional bottom out but only on serious moguls over 3 feet at the bottom of a hill... I weigh in at 210
Glad you have the ride sorted out.
Ps) my printer went south so I have to use a friends to scan the Manuel for the zx2
Will get it done ASAP.....

Back