• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Still losing track clips - solutions?

My sled, mentioned above, has the ProActive CK skid.

I never had trouble with track clips with my previous Monoshock sled - only this ProActive CK.

None of the guys I ride with on Monoshock's have lost track clips either.

I'm still convinced the source of the problem is one of : 1. Overheating the track, 2. Track clips hitting the rail tips.

I'm now running Skidoo 135mm idler wheels in the front 4 idler locations and my hyfax runs extremely cool and there is very little wear in ~600 km (stock it would wear down at least 3mm by now).

I have a new track ready to install before any long rides.

replaced 28 out of 32 at end of last season on my 06 gt. replaced 12 more after about 900 miles this year.

my theory/observation is that heat is the number 1 problem. it accelerates friction/wear. the clips wear prematurely.

The second problem is that the clip guides are contacting the end of the suspension mounting bolts(up near drive axel). there is not enough clearance, especially if the track is not aligned.

so, the clips get worn thin due to heat/friction and the guide clip catches the end of the bolt as you're going 80mph down trail 8 and out spits the clips.

man, am i getting good at clipping tracks.

My sled is still breaking clips, but they are no longer falling off.

Instead, one by one, all of the guide clips are loosing the guide. So far I haven't lost any of the clips that I've installed.

2500 miles on 06 GT and no clip issues yet ?

Changed hyfax at 1500 miles and set track back to yamaha spec's.

Update. With the ZX2 in my Apex I still lose clips. 3,400 miles and all but a couple were gone on my 1.25" Predator that is not studded and is clipped every third.

I can not get new clips to stay on for more then 20-50 miles using a vice style tool. Not sure if I need to try a different tool, I was thinking about the one by sno-stuff as the crimp portion seems to be deeper.

Regardless clips are still flying off. The ZX2 does not have any rail caps that move.

This is with a brand new drive shaft and I am not overheating my hyfax at all. I have over 7,000 miles on my hyfax and no signs of hyfax on the remaining clips.

Any ideas?

i reclipped my attak with the ones i clipped still falling off. i then just bought another track and had no problems at all. i dont think we can crimp as good as factory can. mine was the clip tool that you use the impact on.

mdkuni said:
Update. With the ZX2 in my Apex I still lose clips. 3,400 miles and all but a couple were gone on my 1.25" Predator that is not studded and is clipped every third.

I can not get new clips to stay on for more then 20-50 miles using a vice style tool. Not sure if I need to try a different tool, I was thinking about the one by sno-stuff as the crimp portion seems to be deeper.

Regardless clips are still flying off. The ZX2 does not have any rail caps that move.

This is with a brand new drive shaft and I am not overheating my hyfax at all. I have over 7,000 miles on my hyfax and no signs of hyfax on the remaining clips.

Any ideas?

first idea is look at the track coming off the drivers...and the bend if any when track hits the rails...does it appear to make an unatural bend there...the rails could be still hitting the clips building heat into them..even though mine is a mono 136...Ive always thought the skid needed to be a 1/2" or so further back..

do you have four axle wheels...seems like this helps keep the track oriented right..

I had the 1.25 pred on my sled for just a trial fit...seems like tolerances were a bit tight..I ended up with the 1" pred..

back to your setp..get some measurements....
width of each slide....width of each track opening especially with guide clips..
now the seemingly most important one...width of the slide to slide compared to width of track guide clip to clip side to side....
and width of skid at the front and rear.. maybe there is some interference...is the slide too wide for the window or...the other way...too much side to side movement?

the common theme in clip loss is something build heat into the clips melting them to the slides or something hits them knocking them off..

I have an idea.
My friends 1 1/4" track has ripped lugs off by hitting the tunnel protectors.
My 1" track has about 1/4" worn off some of the lugs because of the tunnel protector rub.
Could your track be balooning nad hitting the TP's, knocking the clips off??
Two different suspensions should narrow the problem, the only thing remaining constant are the TP's and the track.

My two cents

My buddy swears this is caused by billet wheels with no rubber.
Him a and a few others installed the billets this year on thier 07 GTs and they are all losing clips. Last year no one in that group had issues.

mdkuni-
Had the same problem for the last 2 years with intermittent track clips coming off and/or guides busting off. I reclipped the entire track with camoplast clips w/o the guide. No problems since. My Observations:
1)It is not marginal snow conditions
2)Clips are not wearing thin
3) May be caused by studded track (extra weight = increased track whip)

Sled_Doctor said:
mdkuni-
Had the same problem for the last 2 years with intermittent track clips coming off and/or guides busting off. I reclipped the entire track with camoplast clips w/o the guide. No problems since. My Observations:
1)It is not marginal snow conditions
2)Clips are not wearing thin
3) May be caused by studded track (extra weight = increased track whip)

My track is not studded so we can take that out as well.

I have thought about using guideless clips so there would be less contact with the drivers and or suspension. I do not feel it is the clips wearing thin either. I think they are just getting beat up which causes them to spread open and fall off.

What track clip tool are you using?

I use the 2 piece vice type with the threaded rod and crimp them as tight as I can with a 1/2" drive ratchet by hand. I have wondered if Yammi had a some tracks that were not crimped tight enough from camoplast...but some have swapped tracks and have had the same issue, which leads to more of a driver / suspension setup issue.

At any rate, I agree it is a frustrating issue...good part is it will not leave you stranded, clips are cheap and can be replaced without pulling the skid.

My 06 RTX by 900 miles I installed 4 clips, @ 1500 miles installed 11 non guided clips, @ 1900 miles all but 2 were missing. Buddies RX-1 lost all but 3 in same time frame and other buddies attak no track clip issues. We always ride together same conditions. So I don't think the guides are the problem. This is frustrating to say the least !!!

tsiceman, what track are you running? My RTX only has guide clips, no non guided? I'm having the same issues and am still perplexed on what the issue is. I know there are some marks on my guide clips from the bolts but i'm not convinced thats what is making them fall off.

I lost all stock clips, replaced them myself with a plier type tool (junk) lost all those. Had dealer install new clips with the vise style. 800-1000mi later i've lost a few more. I also opened up all windows and went to extroverts.

Seems like the solution should be obvious but i'm still not sure what it is? Anyone tried to contact camoplast?

I lost all my clips on my Ripsaw. Replaced it with Predator & still losing clips. Drivers were turned, new suspension, different track tensions, 4th wheel kit, drop down wheel kits, extra wheels added & fastened rail tips. My friend with same sled & same riding miles has no issues. I'm thinking "energeezer" is right about my billet wheels???

Back