• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stingray Mods front spring

If your going to put a heavier center spring in I would also recommend doing these other items also.
Larger/stronger upper cross shaft
Stronger lower shock cross shaft
Tunnel savers at the upper cross shaft mount.

The stock shafts will bend if ridden hard thru the junk with a stiffer spring or with the STOCK spring bottoming out.

If your going to put a heavier center spring in I would also recommend doing these other items also.
Larger/stronger upper cross shaft
Stronger lower shock cross shaft
Tunnel savers at the upper cross shaft mount.

The stock shafts will bend if ridden hard thru the junk with a stiffer spring or with the STOCK spring bottoming out.

UGH! Just looking to get a better launch on hardpack & a little lighter front end.
Not looking to be the "mogel masher" king. I'm hopeful bills spring offers some relief.

I ran a 160-lb straight rate Stingray spring on my 15 Viper LTX and never really liked it. It was likely better than the 135-lb straight rate spring that came on that sled but it would still bottom out and I am not a heavy guy (185-lbs). The stock 90/250 spring in my current Sidewinder LTX SE is way better for me.

I have the cat spring. Put it in last year when I had my shocks rebuilt by Cannondale.. Smooth ride with better transfer and helped bottoming a lot. Go easy on the preload so you don’t have a rough ride in the stutters. Too much preload will put you past the first 160 rate in the spring. I think I have about 3 turns of preload.

Bottom out? Wow, must not be the 17 LTX-LE with it’s QS3r. I purposely leave all my shocks at the 2 setting for high speed big bump trails and there is no way it will bottom out, in fact it is a bit too much and I usually will go to the 1 setting on my rear suspension shock for smooth fast trails unless they offer some good air hills or terrain, then it’s back to the 2 setting on that very rear suspension shock, and again I find that just a bit too hard for my 215 lb undressed weight. 3 on any shock? Never

My only reason for trying a different spring for that CENTER shock was to try and stop the wear from the dual spring coupler, on the shock threads and body. So after reading some posts on different springs, I chose to try the Stingray.

Time will tell and I may go back to the original dual spring set up and let it wear, but I will give the Stingray a try but will keep an eye on the shock to make sure it doesn’t hit the shock or reservoir as some have mentioned.

I also heard the same about the Cat spring. Yes, No?

Anyways I have always used my rear springs on the softest setting, so this year I will try the next setting on those rear springs while the rear shock is on 1, otherwise shock on 2 and spring on 1 is already a bit stiff!

I’ve heard of some needing stiffer rear springs, and I have to wonder who put what springs on mine from the factory, because I’ve always thought I would like to try a set of softer rear springs. Must be just me again huh?

The main issue with tunnel issues is the stock spring is not adequate combined with a blown front shock and your asking for tunnel repairs if driven hard. There is vendors selling a heavy duty upper cross shaft. Personally I use the hurricane one. I’ve worked on sleds with the BOPs steel shaft that slides over the stock shaft and it is a Royal PITA if you have to remove it for a track change as the stock shaft usually turns inside the steel tube .

UGH! Just looking to get a better launch on hardpack & a little lighter front end.
Not looking to be the "mogel masher" king. I'm hopeful bills spring offers some relief.
Since everyone in the Midwest comes to ride in the UP we get rough trails most of the winter except on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
We do get those big bumps that pop up in the afternoon that were not there in the morning when we went thru.
Just added the extra shafts and plates for cheap insurance so I won't get stranded.
When your up here riding give me a shout.

Since everyone in the Midwest comes to ride in the UP we get rough trails most of the winter except on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
We do get those big bumps that pop up in the afternoon that were not there in the morning when we went thru.
Just added the extra shafts and plates for cheap insurance so I won't get stranded.
When your up here riding give me a shout.
I know the snow machine is cranking up all over the UP....just after the first.

Back