• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Strange chaincase leak on Attak

suburban said:
There has been a few of these cases reported ( chain case cover seal gets sucked in ) and yamaha is aware there is a problem. The suspect is not enough venting .
Wow i had ours fixed at my dealer and they were not aware of that they did say it was squished by the cover and leaking uppon hard high speed extended runs,but what you are saying makes sense,that is why over the years all of our chaincases were always vented,some with a small hose.

CHAINCASE OIL LEAK

I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY CHAINCASE, I LOST ALL THE OIL IN THE CHAINCASE AFTER TWO DAY OF HIGH SPEED RUNNING 70 TO 130 KPH IN NORTHERN ONTARIO. I CHECKED THE OIL LEVEL IN THE CHAINCASE BECAUSE I COULD SMELL GEARLUBE FROM TIME TO TIME ON THE FIRST PART OF MY TRIP ABOUT 900 KM AND THE LEVEL WAS OK THE SMELL CONTINUED TO BE PRESENT FROM TIME TO TIME SO I IGNORED IT BECAUSE I THOUGH IT WAS JUST THE OIL GETTING HOT AND VENTING ODOR AND THERE WAS NO OIL IN THE BELLY PAN OR UNDER THE CHAINCASE. THE SMELL GOT WORSE THE FASTER I RAN. UNTIL IT RAN OUT OF OIL AND BLOWUP THE CHAINCASE. I HAD TO TAKE A BUS FROM SMOOTH ROCK FALLS TO SPANISH TO GET MY TRUCK AND TRAILER (700KM) DRIVE BACK TO SMOOTH ROCK (700KM) TO PICKUP MY SLED AND DRIVE HOME (800KM) I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THE OIL IN THE CHAINCASE EVERY HOUR.

rhoag said:
I posted a few weeks ago about all the oil being gone and everything in the chain case blew, then towed 40 miles by an F7. WELL HERE IS THE GREAT NEWS I GOT A HALF HOUR AGO. YES I'M YELLING!!! I mentioned earlier that all the parts were on back order. My dealer just told me it looks like the new release date is March 15th. Can you believe this shiiite!! My season is done 5 total rides with 760 miles and only one trouble free ride. My GT is a POS!!! And Yamaha sucks for not having the parts available to repair it. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I sold everything two years ago and planned on getting out of snowmobiling. But. I just couldn't take it when my buddies started calling in October about riding. So I bought the 05 RX1 (which I wish I would have kept) and got back into it. I AM JUST TOTALLY PISSED THAT MY SLED IS GOING TO BE DOWN FROM FEB 11TH TO MARCH ??? Sorry for the yelling, but I feel I have a right to be pissed. If I stay in this sport I sure hope someone else comes up with a performance 4 stroke. I am now going to call Yamaha and complain loudly!

I'm not sure what parts are on backorder, but have your dealer check to see if the parts still needed are in a reverse kit. They could order a kit and use these parts.

Pullinfront

What to look for?

I noticed the smell of gear lube as well this past weekend on my Apex.

I'll definately be checking the chaincase fluid level, but are there any visible signs to look for other than possible fluid under the chaincase and a low fluid level?

UPDATE: I checked the level chaincase fluid level and it is at the level for a non-reverse model, not down lower on the dipstick for the REVERSE models. I'm quite certain I had checked the level after bringing the sled home from the dealer for the first time, maybe at that time I didn't realize the different markings on the stick.

I couldn't see any signs of leakage anywhere of the gear lube, but I did distinctly smell some hot gear lube. Are these cases vented at all, or would it have somehow got by the gasket on the cover?

At this time I want to drain the chaincase and go with synthetic.

Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube should work fine? What are you running in your chaincase?

Also blew my chain case. No signs of oil leaking. Did smell something burning but at the same time friend melted his nylon gloves on his exhaust trying to warm his hands (both of us riding attaks). Dealer had sled repaired in 4 working days-said he had to wait for parts. I didnt consider it much of a wait. Happy as heck.

Sounds like we may have a problem here. Each day I read more posts for blown chaincases. Something is definately different in the chaincases for 06. Never read about any problems the past few years for rx-1's. For the people who have had repairs by dealers, what are they finding and say the cause of the breakdown is?

Wooo Hooooo My sled is done and I am picking it up today. Only been in the shop 18 days since the 12th of Feb. I am going riding this weekend and for the first time in my Yamaha riding life I said these words to my buddy " Bring your tail bag because I will need some of your storage room for extra gloves, because my storage will be full" buddy why's that? "well I don't trust my sled so i'm bringing my tow rope, last time I broke down we didn't have one so we had to travel just to borrow a tow rope" Yep I have 100 faith in my sled and am really worried about next year. Anyway, yes i'm still complaining about this sled and wouldn't recommend anyone buy an Apex for atleast one more year.

rx1pat said:
Sounds like we may have a problem here. Each day I read more posts for blown chaincases. Something is definately different in the chaincases for 06. Never read about any problems the past few years for rx-1's. For the people who have had repairs by dealers, what are they finding and say the cause of the breakdown is?

OK...I've held off posting my "findings" because, frankly, it doesn't seem very believable. However, when my chaincase started smelling (after a long lake pull) and finally made that horrific, grinding noise (that never stopped), I thought that something was broken in that chain case. In my mind, there was NO WAY everything was intact. Plus I was embarrassed that I had potentially neglected checking the chaincase level and allowed it to run dry (I was 1,000 miles into a 1,300 mile trip).

Upon dealer tear down, NOTHING was broken. So where did all the gear lube go???? The dealer called Yamaha, at my suggestion, and was told they have heard nothing about this issue :o|

(As an aside, I KNOW that this forum is monitored by folks at Yamaha and I must admit that while I have not lost the faith, I'm perplexed by the VERY SLOW response to many of this year's issues...to tell a DEALER that they have no knowledge of an issue is just not acceptable)

So, my parts are now in....GREAT dealer in action here! ;)! New chain, sprockets, gears, gaskets, everything they could see as a potential problem or anything that could have been stressed from lack of lube....and will be replaced and ready to go in the next day or so. I am VERY concerned that this is a band-aid fix and the potential for issues of the same type, during next year's riding, are very real.

Hopefully, this summer will be a VERY BUSY TIME for Yamaha service techs writing the numerous service bulletins that are needed.

Snomonut, I guess I'm confused. Why are they replacing parts if nothing is broke? Their conclusion for the breakdown is no gear lube, not a broken chain tensioner or bad gasket. Did you check the gear level when the sled was brand new? Is is possible it came from the factory with no or low gear lube. If it was full when you picked it up the lube has to be leaking somewhere. I talked with a dealer in the UP and he said he sold 75 apex models. None have returned with bad chaincases. I like you am concerened about this potential serious problem. Handwarmers, wheels, don't leave you stranded on the trail and ruin your trip. This problem will.

rx1pat said:
Snomonut, I guess I'm confused. Why are they replacing parts if nothing is broke? Their conclusion for the breakdown is no gear lube, not a broken chain tensioner or bad gasket. Did you check the gear level when the sled was brand new? Is is possible it came from the factory with no or low gear lube. If it was full when you picked it up the lube has to be leaking somewhere. I talked with a dealer in the UP and he said he sold 75 apex models. None have returned with bad chaincases. I like you am concerened about this potential serious problem. Handwarmers, wheels, don't leave you stranded on the trail and ruin your trip. This problem will.

Well, I'm confused too, which is why I haven't posted my experiences here. The case was full when new. The lube was drained and replaced at the break in oil change. I then ran the sled another 2,400 miles, so in my mind, there's no way it wasn't filled by the dealer. There have been no leaks on my trailer bed or garage floor. The ONLY even possible explanation I've seen here is that the cover itself can flex during long, hard runs (which I did plenty of on my last trip 2 trips) allowing the gasket to lose seal....I'll admit to not really checking much on my sled during the last trip, but I would think I would notice a pool of lube on the snow where it was parked each night.

Also, my last two trips have been completely different riding than the first trips this season. I was riding around Voyagers National Park in early February. 20 to 30 mile lake runs at times and please don't scold me about exceeding the 45 MPH park speed limit... 8) Then a trip to Northwestern Ontario and even LONGER runs across Lake Of The Woods at even higher speeds. This is FAR different running than my previous U.P. trips.

As far as to why parts are being replaced, as I indicated, my dealer treats me REALLY WELL! I buy tons of things from them and we have a great, long standing relationship. They pretty well decided that anything within the chaincase that could have been stressed IN ANY WAY would be replaced. They know I ride 3 to 4,000 miles a year....

Snomonut, Does the dealer have a guess as to why the failure occurred. Or is he saying I have no idea. Why do you think the chain case is flexing? This is the second time I have read this. Is this a theory or does someone have proof this is happening. If this is the same case that is on the 05-rx1, then I wonder why problems are showing up on the apex. No problems with the 05 to my knowledge.

rx1pat said:
Snomonut, Does the dealer have a guess as to why the failure occurred. Or is he saying I have no idea. Why do you think the chain case is flexing? This is the second time I have read this. Is this a theory or does someone have proof this is happening. If this is the same case that is on the 05-rx1, then I wonder why problems are showing up on the apex. No problems with the 05 to my knowledge.

Dealer has no clue. I have no clue, because you're right, it didn't happen on the '03 - '05's and I believe the chain case material was changed in '05 with no problems. My guess was strictly a theory that someone else on this site expressed....the lube isn't just vanishing into thin air.....is it!!??

Because the dealer could find no reasonable explanation, I suggested that they call Yamaha. I still find it unfathomable that they would offer no technical help and essentially play stupid.

Please don't anyone misunderstand me here. I absolutely LOVE my Attak. I'm completely and 100% a Yamaha fan. :yam: I just don't understand the lack of communication between the dealers and corporate.

Chaincase update!

I have now put 1000 miles on my sled since this original post and there appears to be no oil loss.

HOWEVER - I have been careful not to exceed 90 mph for more than 1/4 mile or so. Just not worth ruining a trip where you could be 400 miles from the truck!

The dealer used the original gasket and put a layer of silicone in the groove.

I am more concerned about the guys who have lost oil with no visible leaks.

I have only 1-2 more rides, and I plan to change the oil to synthetic at the end of the season.

Back