• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

stud through heat exchanger- question

Tyloooor

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
put a stud through my heat exchanger on Sunday. My overheat light came on and I shut the sled right off.

Let my sled sit for 3 to 5 min to cool down- started it-no temp light came on, but towed it home and it leaked the whole way and is still leaking out

how will I know if my head gasket is finished or not?

Compression test, milky oil.

I'm in the process of taking my engine out because a stud ripped exchanger.

I don't have a 10mm adapter for my tester and I want to do a complete look over of the engine before I put everything back together. It will also be easier to weld when everything is out.

I was reading that you didn't need to pull the motor to get the heat exchanger out- just the subframe and the side piece behind the oil tank

I have a local welding shop that's going to weld it up for me. All i need to do is get the skid, track and drive shaft out

just read a lot of threads, about the head gasket blowing and warping the head

Put a huge gash in the front on my old A/C Firecat after a stud ripped the track.
Cleaned up the jagged aluminum pieces with a Dremel, isopropanol alcohol wipe down then used JB Weld in thin layers to fill the gap.
Didn't even remove from sled.
Took 2 days but set up solid & held for 2 more seasons with no problems.

You will be ok I did sane thing last year no problems... now if us ran it till it sits itself then you got problems like I have now

got her back together last night and took her for a little test ride....seems good so far, but will be taking her for a good ride tonight

Tyloooor said:
got her back together last night and took her for a little test ride....seems good so far, but will be taking her for a good ride tonight

Did you get all the air out & pressure test it as well before riding?

I had it pressure tested at the welding shop

I do believe we got all the air out of it....was a bitch and had to add a lot of coolant- put the sled on little incline , without the rad cap and let it idle to try and get all the air out.

Before I put the skid in, I cracked the plug in tunnel exchanger while I was filling the anti-freeze to insure it was getting coolant.

after sled warmed up- I check both rads- no leaks and they were getting warm

Is there anything else I should check? I don't have a 4-stroke compression tester

You need a bleed down, not compression test. If your confident it didn't get HOT, (you mentioned it leaked on the tow) you "might be ok. It's worth a good run and after a couple of km's or miles you'll know, warning lights or stop and check your overflow. I have a feeling if your sled was that wet, you'll be ok. IMO

My nytro came with a leaking head gasket when I bought it. What a deal. It would sit and idle all day long and not push out antifreeze, but as soon as I went down the trail she would start pushing it out the overflow. I say take a 10 mile run with your unit and see what happens. If it's pushing antifreeze out it's head gasket time.

I went 80 kms or 49 miles last night....no light came on, nor did it puke any coolant....did some tight trails, fast trails, and lakes

I hope it's fine...

I'd say after 80 km's and every things normal you lucked out! The best way to bleed is park the sled in a slight nose up angle, leave the rad cap off and run it until you see circulation for a couple of minutes. Then you'll see if more coolant is required.

Back