• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Subframe number 2

Arnold08

Expert
Well clearly the 09 subframe wasnt the fix. Trails rough this morning and i was doin what the RTX does which is RIP through rough trails. cam flyin around a corner behind my buddy who just missed a big junk of ice I unfortunetly did not i ran right over it with my right ski and new instantly there was a problem. Well i was honest with my dealer about what happend and they said they should be able to get it warrantied since there wre no signs of collisons. at least its the end of the year........

My buddy thought he tweaked his second sub frame but it turned out he stretched his upper arm. Same upright spindle results. PK

loudelectronics said:
Could be worse. I have pulled two ski doos home in the last week cause of blown motors. At least you can still ride it.
this is true saw and apex pulling a brand new i mean brand new 60 miles on it new 09 800 switchback dragon sp with a blwon motor thisis true and im not really complinin i mean it was a big #*$&@ piece of ice ill just get it fixed this summer

Its so nice owning a 4 stroke. Power, reliability.

I have been riding my sled all winter with a bent a arm and sub frame and although you can see it and it looks funny, the sled actually still handles really well. I like you and just waiting for the spring to get it fixed.

I had my '08 RTX subframe replaced under warranty. The replacement subframe came heavily re-inforced from Yamaha - two additional plates added for strength.

Are the '09 replacement subframes coming with re-inforcement or as stock? Not sure if the '09's are different than the '08's from new.

Guys,
Don't be too quick to think that a relaxed caster angle is a bent frame.
If it's not too bad, just pull it back and keep going, but look more at the arms. I thought mine was tweaked a little, but after swapping a lower a-arm, the angle was good as new, and the old arm would not lay flat on the floor.
If you have an issue wih a frame that's not too bad.. My personal opinion is that if you spend the time and money to replace it, you're just going to do it again! Pull it back (come-a long's between two trucks) reinforce the lower mounting holes if you have to, and ride on!!

It's a lot easier to just use a pry bar in between the two a arms to straighten it out. Done it a few times last year, easy as pie ;)!

you shouldnt have to bend subframes/a-arms back in place on a new sled plus the more times you bend it the weaker it will be.I have personally seen the 09 subframe tweak/couple sets of a-arm bushings/lower ball joints and a spindle all need replacement.The front ends of these machines are not engineered properly-plain and simple.

I struck a small rock going onto a lake early in the year, never really notice anything except the mark on my ski. Rode the sled hard that day and the following trip. To my surprise the right shock was getting closer and closer to the upper A arm. So I thought the same thing, another subframe. Straight to the dealer I went, turns out it was a small bend in the upper A-Arm. I would'nt get to happy with the pry until you know for sure, just going to make whatever problem you have weaker.

measure from a fixed point on the sled that you know is straight (ie: the rear suspension front mount bolt) to the front bumper hole on the furthest forward point on the sub frame. if it is equal on both sides the sub frame is ok.

alot of the out of line issues are upper a arms that have been pushed forward. think about it for a second...

the ski hits an object, lower a arm moves backward from the bottom near the ski mount pushing the bottom edge of the spindle back. this puts pressure on the top end of the spindle forcing the weaker upper a arm forward.

this will look like the spindle is more straight up and down instead of tipped back at the top.

one fix is to put a huge pry bar between the lower arm and upper arm, you are prying forward on the lower arm, and back on the upper. this will center the shocks if that is what you are going for.

the other is, buy the upper arm first, lower second, then if you arent centered... buy a subframe.

i have done it both ways. i prefer the straightening method. easier on the pocketbook. but understand this... some you can straighten, others need parts, everyone has to evaluate their own situation, no two are the same. ski

I have to agree with skidooboy in that it should never just be a knee-jerk reaction to a tweaked front end to just yank it back into position.
People on this site have various abilities, and every bent front end is different. Mine was hardly noticeable, and the right lower arm measured about 1/2 inch further back than the right when measured from the rear bumper to the tip of the balljoint. I did pull mine back into position, but I also have experience with frame machines and fabricaon. My sled showed no visible damage and a thorough inspection before AND after showed no signs of worn bolt holes and/or damaged parts.
In no way is anyone telling anybody that this is the way to fix things, but merely to say that's what we did. It may not be right for any application, and any repair made in this fashion is at your own risk. If you do not feel 100% comfortable that you can safely and effectively repair in this manner, please replace, or have a qualified person replace the affected parts.

very well said nate. should have put that disclaimer in mine as well. at least we know, we are both from the "industry" and at least we can fix what WE tweak. ski

i guess i dont understand the logic of bending #*$&@ back into place with a pry bar on a new machine.i just dont believe its something that you should have to keep doing.i have the mechanical aptitude to perform such operations but i feel this is something the yamaha engineers should have figured out.maybe its the japenese white metal that they use.

I don't know what you guys are hitting to bend these frames but I'm amazed... Couple of weeks ago I hit a 4x4 post, I went flying, tore off my windshield and thought I bend my frame, because the ski was pushed back. Turns out I bent the lower A arm, you know the one that looks like a jeweler made :) , I laid a level the A arm and it was about 5/8" bowed out of square.. Sled still drives straight, I may spend the money this summer and fix it but for now it does not pose any issues for me... Just something to keep in mind.[/img]

Back