• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer storage?

I do not really buy into that I dont put my muscle or other cars on jacks and 180# of static wright sittiong on each shock does not present anywhere near the load they are manufactured to handle. If the springs sag at that why are they not crushed when you launch the thing 6' in the air!

So take your pick... For springs, you want them stored as uncompressed as possible. But for shocks, the absolute best is completely compressed. (no chance of rust on the shaft, and no drawbacks)

I was wondering if the sleds can be stored in a covered trailer, which is kept outside?

I'm worried about the heating/cooling cycles throughout the day affecting things.

Just make sure the trailer has a few vents to allow air to circulate. Sure it will heat up through the day but with good vents it will allow that heat to escape when the sun goes down.

The best storage is always an area that's dry and no exposure to uv rays.

Ms

Mine are going into an enclosed trailer with a dehumidifier as I am close to a lake. I do tend to run them every 3 weeks up to temp with the doors open and spin the tracks.

This is good to hear. ;)! I usually store them inside my garage, but I bought a Titan Enclosed this year to go ride trails that I couldn't reach from the home base.

It has a couple of small vents on either side of the trailer.

Apologize for high jacking your thread red dog.

I store my XLT in my enclosed trailer stored inside a bldg, never had a problem, just wish I could some how raise it while it sits on the trailer.

My Vector gets stored in my garage on my lift, and like my XLT, I spray a lot of the sled down with a good lube/protectant like Rust Check, Krown or what ever I have on hand that is silicone oil based.

I spray the suspension, spray shock shafts, exhaust pipe, and most exposed metals on the XLT including a light spray of the entire motor, carb boots, basically everything but the clutches.

My Vec gets the suspension, and all exposed metal as well, except the engine and a few other things that I am not concerned about with it sitting in the garage.

Each sled gets a thorough washing and wax. I spray the suspension/tunnel down with a garden hose to remove any salt and sand that accumulated over the winter, dress the seat with 303 etc etc, put covers on both after completed and dry then basically forget about them until the fall.

P.S. I also do an oil/filter change prior to storage and run some Sea Foam through both sleds.
I also fog both machines.

Attachments

• HPIM1000 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1000 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 116
  • HPIM1927 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1927 (Medium).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0161 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0161 (Large).JPG
    114 KB · Views: 119
I've been storing mine in my garage, but I'm thinking of putting it in the Trailer and keeping it there to free up space.
I'm sure it can get wicked hot in there during the day, but not sure the little vents would keep up?

Black7 said:
I was wondering if the sleds can be stored in a covered trailer, which is kept outside?

I'm worried about the heating/cooling cycles throughout the day affecting things.

monte1214 said:
I'm sure it can get wicked hot in there during the day, but not sure the little vents would keep up?

Heat really isn't a problem, UV from direct sunlight is what does damage. My clamshell has 1 small vent on each side of the trailer, and it actually doesn't get that hot inside.

I have a beautifull red 98 sx 700 drag sled that I ran out of room to store inside a few yrs ago (too many sleds 7) and I put the cover on it and then a blue tarp. When I uncovered in the fall the sheen was gone and the hood is now burnt orange :o|

All I do is clean the sled really well, grease it,treat the gas and put it in the trailer. Then the trailer goes in the garage. No problems so far.

Wash and dry. Fluid Film everything metal. Grease. Buy corn free fuel hi test. Add Stabil then gas. Let run for 5-10 minutes. Splash a little SeaFoam in the tank and top off all fluids. Put dolly's under track and skis and move to the corner of the garage. Drink beer and remember all the good times you had riding this winter. Cry a little when you realize it's gonna be a long 8 months before you can ride again. :drink:

Back