• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer Upgrades - Center Spring etc.

Tomelongname

Veteran

Springs, spindles & bumper done. Now rear bumper & skid.

Question: read a lot about the cat center shock spring 95/250 & the 160 for the LTX. Or should I just do shocks and have recalibrated? 64 years and 90% trails in eastern Manitoba

Thanks folks

Shock revalve for your weight,springs and riding style seems to be what most guys are happy with in the end

Last edited:
I Installed a 160# spring on my XTX, but haven't tested it yet. I had to put 8-10 turns on the stock 110# just to lighten up the steering effort and get the skis off the ground a bit under hard throttle. Just playing around in the garage it's seemed to make a difference, been able to drop about 15 psi on my rear float to get the proper set-in and I can actually get the sled to rock back and forth on the center shock. Your LTX should have a 135# so I'm not sure how much of a difference a 160# would make.

i used the CAT dual rate center spring with re valve and softer torsion springs. rides like a caddy

Cannondale27 revalved the shocks on my XF7000, which is an LTX. Totally worth the $$$. He’s very affordable. It made a big difference. I don’t cringe in the bumps anymore. Now all I need to do is upgrade the rear skid parts to steel RR parts.

I used hygears dual spring kit on my 2011 apex xtx and did progressive valveing on shocks and it improved the ride 100%, i kept spring and i am gunna try it on my 19 sidewinder to see how it works.

Back together. Powder coated springs, spindles, bumper, rails ✔ AC Dual rate center spring ✔revalved shocks ✔
20180901_144651_crop_697x467.jpg
20180901_144408_crop_928x452.jpg

Most dual rate spring applications have the softer low rate portion active in normal operating conditions. However it was my understanding that the Cat dual rate center spring was designed for more steering authority not softer ride. Despite this I bought one and tried to adjust it to give me better ride. I did not have much success. After working with it I could see how it could give more steering authority (with more effort). To get more authority you can have less preload on the center spring without the spring getting loose when the track is off the ground and hanging on the limiter strap. However when the spring was compressed with my weight (200 lbs) I was into the high rate portion of the spring. I could not get a better ride with the adjustments I made.

Most dual rate spring applications have the softer low rate portion active in normal operating conditions. However it was my understanding that the Cat dual rate center spring was designed for more steering authority not softer ride. Despite this I bought one and tried to adjust it to give me better ride. I did not have much success. After working with it I could see how it could give more steering authority (with more effort). To get more authority you can have less preload on the center spring without the spring getting loose when the track is off the ground and hanging on the limiter strap. However when the spring was compressed with my weight (200 lbs) I was into the high rate portion of the spring. I could not get a better ride with the adjustments I made.

Now you tell me, darn. Hopefully the revalving will help. It was $50, so it a big expense. Have a great long weekend.

Back