• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Super Rats vs. Dalton adjustables

I tried a set of super rats last year and found them to very inconsistant compared to the Draggin Flies. I went back to the flies

Well tried with smaller the 2.0gr. balls (69.3gr.total), disappointed again. conditions not great, too warm 0 -+3 C. Lake still good but stickier. Engagement is lower around 3900-4000, shift out at 9800-9900, however it did climb a bit for first time in testing. Tried a helix that looks to be 45-33? out of another clutch kit (that will remain unnamed) so it is unmarked
(as usual) so the angle is a best guess. Stock springs in both clutches.

Results: Lost my hole shot and was looking at his flap by 60. Less hard shifting when back on the gas after backshift. Silver secondary will be in this week, I'll try it and see if there are any improvements. Daltons are ready to go back in lightened up, hopefully it will be a little colder so the engine is making more power. Put on about 40 miles in the trails with this setup but we were riding with a novice, so I only worked it hard on a couple of occasions.

I 'm beginning to question the initial weight of the Rats, (66.9gr. marked / 67.3 actual) for a stock sled. Wondering if their at the sweet spot, before you add any balls? Just a thought. Lord knows I have had enough of them,(thoughts) trying to work through this puzzle.

Cookie ;)!

I'd give the two-speeds a try and sell the rats. I haven't seen a single post where someone has got them dialed in and are faster than anything else out there in a controlled test. I ran the Dalton adjustable weights last and now run the two-speeds. For me the two-speeds have been faster. I'd be happy to help you dial them in if needed. Used sets are a little hard to come by though. I did like the Dalton's as well though and it sounds like you have seen nice gains with them too. I still think the stock weights and mono are going to run you down.. just not til a little later. Corner to corner you will be faster though.

I'd have to agree...I fell for the hype and bought them last year.

Funny...those that were hyping the Super Rats last year seems to have disappeared from this site, hmmm.

I was one of the first to use, and still use the Rats, lol. Does that make me a Pioneer or just stupid? Awwww, I'm just joking. But seriously I do like the Rats and think they are fast, but they aren't pefect either. Some one described them best: they are "jerky" as they shift -- both ways. But backshift especially.

I have planned on re-trying my Drag and Flys here on my next ride just because I can. But that doesn't mean I'm by any means done with the Rats, just want to see what I'm missing to see which I prefer.

I like them too...but I have lost top speed, about 10 mph. I think if I could up the top rpms up about 500, I think I'd gain them back.

I'm considering grinding the tips down to gain rpms, like Yukon Yamaha did, however it's likely that I'm going to get a new sled next year and it'll be easier to unload unmodified Rat weights.

Back