• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Surprised by the 2014 Nytro. Anyone else?

yamajammer76

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Arctic Cat Riot 600 1.75
I have to admit the Nytro coming back to the line for 2014 almost surprised me more then the introduction of the Yamacat Viper. I figured only the Apex-Vector-Venture and possibly Phazer would return.

I was looking at the '14 XTX 1.75 and it actually looks really nice for next year. I like the colors and graphics. It looks like they tried to freshen it up a little bit.

With that said however who would still buy one of these over the new Viper? I mean I love my '12 XTX and I would have no issue buying a '14, but it just seems like people have been so critical of the Nytro I doubt they will sell more then a few hundred copies next year.

I am going to assume the '14 model year is a "using up parts" model. Is anyone planning on a new one? Who knows it could be a more reliable sled then the the first year Viper.

No not suprised at all. Everything carries over from 13. The viper is "testing the water" to see what we think as well as build quality. No viper for me till it gets turbo power.

I was surprised at first but keeping the Nytro still makes sense to me now. I just bought my 2011 XTX and am not in the hunt for a new sled yet but if I was I don't think I'd buy the Viper, especially the first year. I just couldn't get over buying a hybrid sled with another brands parts in it. I bought a Yamaha for the quality and durability and would probably still only buy a fully Yamaha made sled if I had the choice.

My thoughts exactly. I like my sleds to be 100% Yamaha. I'll stick with the Nytro XTX and see how this shakes out.

I must be one of the few guys around who like Nytros. I loved my XTX. My biggest complaint about it and the main reason for getting a Viper over a Nytro is the gas tank. I still cant figure out why Yamaha didnt put a bigger tank on the XTX back in 09. I know lots of guys who either sold their Nytro or wouldnt buy one because of the lack of fuel range.

I am really glad I bought a 2013 RTX now. I will definitely hold on to this sled for a long time. I was holding off on a S/C and 136 stretch to see what Yamaha released...now I will move ahead with it.

I really don't like the plain black Nytro though. the 13 black and charcoal color looked way better. The blue with white for 14 looks good though.

ScottyR said:
I must be one of the few guys around who like Nytros. I loved my XTX. My biggest complaint about it and the main reason for getting a Viper over a Nytro is the gas tank. I still cant figure out why Yamaha didnt put a bigger tank on the XTX back in 09. I know lots of guys who either sold their Nytro or wouldnt buy one because of the lack of fuel range.

Where I ride the 7 gallon tank isn't a problem, but yes even a 9 gallon tank would have been a welcome addition. With that said I love my '12 XTX and plan to ride it several more years. I don't know what it is, but the Tuner skis really work well with this chassis. It handles so nice. I was shocked how nice it rode after hearing some handling complaints out in the Internet world.

Yep it's kind of a quirky sled, but that's what makes it cool to me. It's different and very Yamaha.

I really thought Yamaha would have come out with a factory turbo and supercharger with no price increase. I think it is lame that they just put a Yamaha motor in a Cat chassis. Yamaha could have made a lighter chassis for the nytro easy . They could have designed it to handle better. They could have tweaked the motor for more ponies and still be reliable. Lots of us running full exhaust systems with no problems. I thought the same thing when Suzuki and Kawasaki jumped in bed together and used the same atv just changed plastics.

The aftermarket and riders have showed Yamaha what to do to make their sleds ride better, handle better , funny how they couldn't come up with a better solution. Maybe Cat has a good chassis but I have seen tunnel issues that get bend when the ice freezes under the heat exchanger in the rear and buckles the tunnel. They have a fix which changes the tunnel. They Cat plastic is very brittle. Doesn't take much of a bump to crack it. I have seen this first hand. They will crack around all the rivets in the front nose area under the hood.

I will keep my 2011 MTX Nytro for a long time yet. I went to Yamaha for reliability and durability. If I wanted to fix all the time and worry about things I would still be riding a Polaris or a Cat.

I like my XTX now, but it was alot of time and effort ( and $"s ) to make a safe and fun snowmobile out of that package. The new Viper has the best trail chassis in the business with a Yamaha engine. I cant see anyone buying a Nytro over a new Viper.

mj

ScottyR said:

You need to get a guy with an old ZR cat in your group. The range isn't good but if I'm low on fuel there is usually someone in our group is is lower.

Around here there is only one trail that I know of that would would test the limits. Otherwise it's a non issue here as well.

Fuel is not an issue with me either, yes a bigger tank would be nice, have to wait a couple of seasons to see how it all plays out, I love my XTX. I have a couple of buddies that have the new cat chassis and for me it is not that comfy. Bought the Yamaha for quality not sure I could ride a hybrid.

I love the Viper. I love my Nytro XTX and you could do a lot with the Nytro from all the money saved not buying a Viper. I have really enjoyed working on my Nytro and I will continue to mod a little more each year. If I were going to buy a new sled today it would be between those two but I cant say which for sure. I am glad to see the Nytro back though.

Back