• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Swap output gear shaft for non tapered spline

Leannegt

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
RX1
Hi I'm getting ready to start taking out my rx1 motor and hoping someone that knows about different Yamaha motors could tell me if I could change out the reduction gear output shaft that goes to the primary clutch could be changed out for a spline output shaft? I'm thinking of connecting a car transmission to it and before I go and talk to fabricators, I'm wondering if there is something out there that could do the job already.

Sorry another question can anyone tell me if I could setup the engagement at a very low rpm for the best torque?

From my other posts I'm trying to use a rx1 motor in a Opel gt. There is a person on YouTube that did this with an mgb, (I thing or maybe it was a triumph), that was supercharged. It didn't work very well. He used the CVT from the snowmobile to run it and I think it wasn't setup for the correct springs and weights.

I'm hoping to find a twin scroll turbo for good low rpm and higher rpm power with little lag. Is this a waste of time since the singles used are so good?

Based on what stats are out there on the motor, it should do very well. I am worried about trying to figure out how to make it engage at the optimal torque at lower rpm which is why I've thought about changing the tapered output shaft to a spline so I could bolt it to a normal flywheel. There are vw air-cooled tapered flywheels available though. If the motor ran in the opposite direction, I could turn the vw transmission around and connect it to the motor lsimilat to a Alfa romeo 75 transaxle. Changing gear would be a problem though.

I'm hoping to get one last piece of advice before I make mistakes that I could avoid. Like do I need the reduction gear? Could I remove it and connect the output shaft inside directly to a car transmission since it would already have low gears and the higher rpm would allow me a higher top speed on the highways?

I swear I will be asking questions about my arctic cat m1000 now that the snow is coming. No more of these that only have to do with the motor and not the snowmobile.

Thanks.

Back