• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Swapping from HID to LED. What’s the best option?

Matthew457

Expert
Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro xtx
Last season my HIDs started shutting off randomly sometimes and coming back on. Continually doing this for a couple months. I checked wires, wiggled things around to see if it was a connection problem but couldn’t seem to figure it out. One would just cut out randomly and usually come back on if I restarted the sled. Maybe they just got too hot and wrecked the ballast and that’s the end of them. Rather just buy a whole new set up.
What’s the best option for LEDs in a 2012 Nytro? Is installing the new wiring pretty easy? Just splice it in and rip out the HID wiring? Thanks!

Same thing happened on my apex. One light dying, was not happy with the bulky nature of the wiring. Ripped all of it out and just bought some LEDs off of Amazon. New lighting is pretty good, I initially just wanted lights that work so I could go out on a scheduled ride. I bought some $49.00/set LEDs and threw them in directly, no ballast, direct drop in replacement for the H4. After putting them in I realized they were okay and I haven't felt the need to change them out yet but for $49.00.. they are fine. They have the newer LED updates like optimized position (same as original bolds), better directionality, optimized reflectors, etc.. not the absolute brightest but again, not bad either.

Link to video difference between low beam and high beam. Was too lazy to move the car, but if you want to see more I can make some time tomorrow to do a better test.

Look into replacing your ballasts. HID's will cut snow dust and project farther than LED's. This is especially true in sleds that didn't have projection beam headlights that can take advantage of LED.

Most will agree that Roc's HID's are the best option out there, especially in the japanese sleds. You may not need new HID lamps, just a ballast if it was only one side.

Good luck,

Ditto on what bif stated as if you do have Rock's HID kit, you can just order what needs to be replaced vs purchasing a complete set as I have done so in the past.

Look into replacing your ballasts. HID's will cut snow dust and project farther than LED's. This is especially true in sleds that didn't have projection beam headlights that can take advantage of LED.

Most will agree that Roc's HID's are the best option out there, especially in the japanese sleds. You may not need new HID lamps, just a ballast if it was only one side.

Good luck,
My sled came with the HIDS, pretty sure they are just ones you can buy from most Yamaha dealers. I’ll have a look and see if I can find the brand, or else I’ll just order a whole new kit of HIDs and put them in. Not sure how much of a hassle changing all the wires is. Pretty sure the ballast is wired right in, not sure if you can just cut the wire and put in a new ballast. I’ll have a look in the coming weeks. Anyone have the link for rocs? I can’t find much online, I am in Canada so if that matters or not, thanks!

These are what my ballasts look like so I’m pretty sure this is the set I have…
32530508-570B-4F27-8727-D438CCD42B9A.png

Exactly, Roc is the guy you want to talk to. No Nytro came with HID's the dealers stocked the plug and play kits.

The ballasts are plug and play, there is no cutting. I have installed these kits on four sleds. Those that bought the individual components had success as well. But going to someone like Roc, can help you troubleshoot the issue.

The first thing you should do, is swap the lamps, or swap the ballasts side to side. It will help you determine if you have a lamp issue or a ballast issue. Then you can order the replacement from Roc. Game over.

Good luck.

Back