• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Talk me off the ledge

I have the 2011 xtx and besides the stupid slide issue the sled is perfect best sled i have ever owned or ridden. Absolute groomed trail beast. I also ride with two xf1100 turbos. One has been towed home every trip so far up north and the other has only had minor things like starting the sled and its somehow in reverse. Arctic cat wouldn't get a dollar of my money they still have reliability issues and thats the last thing I want while snowmobiling You would love the new apex!

marq said:
granto211 said:
Plus one of my hid lights dosent work some times so u got to turn the key a few times. It was a great trip to mass city but my sled kinda let me down.

I have some intermittent issues with my HID's too. Are you using the original harness or the new patch cables?

I just talked to Kurt at Sled Start. Apparently certain model year Apex's don't play well with the original ballasts when not connected directly to the battery. When switching between low & high beam the patch cord connection causes the older ballasts low voltage protection circuit to trip requiring that the ballast be reset by cycling the power.

The fix is to draw power directly from the battery with the original wiring harness or to install a newer version of the ballasts that he now has. My issue is completely different but Kurt is making it right with me, just as he always does with all of his customers. As always Kurt has proven to me that he really understands the meaning of great customer service!

To the original post: No sled is perfect, Yamahas as a rule are less prone to problems than other brands speaking from experience.

Always remember The Golden Rule: If it's got tires, tits or tracks, it's gonna give you trouble!

Yes blue dave i know john waldoch very well my father usta be the vp at the truck conversion shop across the street.
I work for peterson companies in columbus so i stop by almost every week and sit on the black xtx on the show floor. The thing with john though is friend or not he is still a salesman trying to sell u anything. Im thinkn seriously about trading my rtx and my raptor he sold me in on trade or else im kinda hoping the both fall of the trailor.

About the gaskets, i put them in probably in march about 1500-2000 miles ago.

Hid -This is the first time i ever had an issue but all i had to do was shut off an start it a few times to get it to lite. Im woundering if its somthing elec because my yamiheater was acting funny too throwing a code for a few hours.

granto211 said:
i stop by almost every week and sit on the black xtx on the show floor.

I have been doing the exact same thing all winter (if you can call this winter)! I was just in there last week sitting on it. I have thought about trading my '07 GT for it but I am waiting to see how low John will drop the price if it doesn't sell by spring. I figure that since it is the same color as my current sled my wife will never know the difference!

I figure that since it is the same color as my current sled my wife will never know the difference![/quote]

mine didnt she didnt believe me when i told her as i bought it when i was gone on a sledding trip i had to point out the diffrences lol

Donuts should last longer than 2,000 miles. I used high temp copper gasket material (squeeze tube from automotive store) and gooped that around the inside of the clamps before tightening them. If that continues to fail after a short time, I've read to grind down the clamp a bit to get tighter clamping force to keep the donuts from vibrating. My HID's are from DDM tuning (online website) 55watt ballasts hooked directly to battery, and haven't ever had a problem with them at all. Cheaper than other sellers, too.... I've owned all brands and am not a fanboy. My firecat was fine, but I have definitely read and seen problems with the 1100 turbos. If you do jump ship, please post back with your impressions and comparisons. Thanks.

P.S. You can't get more reliable than the Yamaha 4 stroke motors... the sled that gets you home at the end of the day is the best one... that's why I'm sticking with my apex for a while. Once you get the factory imperfections worked out, the apex is a great sled. My slides would wear quickly to a point and then stay there for a long time. Keep an eye on that. I see that UlmerRacing's website now also sells oversised wheels for the yamaha sleds. You might want to look into those to help with slide wear. I hope you stay, as this forum is also the best sled forum online, and I've tried most if not all of them.

That white and orange 1100T looks pretty cool. If guys are interested in one I would wait least two years for them to get all the bugs worked out. I would never buy AC just can't trust their quailty, just like I can't trust Skidoo's motors. All manufacturers have issues I don't mind dealing with Yamaha's small ones.

thor452 said:
mine didnt she didnt believe me when i told her as i bought it when i was gone on a sledding trip i had to point out the diffrences lol

Like I said, my wife wouldn't have known the difference either. It sounds like our wive's have about the same observation skills. However you are different than me in that you pointed it out to her even after she hadn't noticed. Now if your wife really is like mine she will expect you to buy her something new now! LOL!

no i told her it was to balance out the new truck i bought before the trip lol

thor452 said:
no i told her it was to balance out the new truck i bought before the trip lol

My wife would certainly notice a new truck even if it was the same color because unlike my sled (and me), she actually would like to go for a ride. LOL!

Back