• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taller windshields

NY_Nytro

TY 4 Stroke Master
Website
www.gi-snowmobiler.com
Is the tall Yamaha windshield just taller than the mid height or is the hand area flare wider to give more hand coverage? From pics it appears just taller. Has any held a tall up to a mid to see where you get more coverage?

i have the yammi tall that i put on in severe cold weather, deffinately much better protection on the hands and body. I am 6'-2" and at about 60mph and above there is some turbulance around the back of my head with the high windshield. The other thing i noticed with the tall windshield is that you lose your sense of speed, by that i mean that you don't feel the wind in your chest so you lose your sense of how fast you are going.
all in all worth having for protection from the cold.
in fact when i have the tall windshield on i can't wear a baclava because my head gets too hot, i wear a skidoo modular helmet (5yrs old)

I have 3 follow up questions.

Do you know if the tall windshield fits under the factory cover? Does the tall require support bars? And if so, are they difficult to put on?

Thanks in advance.

The factory tall windshield does require the support bars. I believe Cobra or now PowerMadd windshields don't need the support bars. I think it would most likely provide better cold weather protection as well. I know my Cobra windshield on my Polaris certainly provides more protection than the same size factory shield did. Can't help you with the cover question for sure but I think it will not fit.

Yes the factory cover fits and the tall windshield actually keeps it nice and snug for trailering.
It's not hard to install, but you do have to drill two small holes in your plastic in front of the handlebars for the install. The rods are hollow and you use the rubber expanding hardware similar to the windshield fasteners.
After a while they will slightly dent/push in the plastic around the holes. I just switched back to the short one; hopefully I'll go over it and not through it as I've recently done a few times with the tall one:(
I have to agree with dave_dj1, there is a huge difference in wind pressure with the shorter one. You definitely feel and sound faster with the short one.
Careful with the little plastic screws from the windshield, they cost about $2.50 each here and the rubber inserts are about $3 or 4 each. It'll cost you over $50 each time you go through. But don't use metal ones instead, the plastic ones are designed to break off but the metal ones obviously won't and they'll break up your supporting pieces which are pricey.

you can actualy buy the nylon screws at a good hardware store, i believe they are m5? they may only come in white but who cares,, they are cheaper, about .40 each

I'll second that the xtra tall windsheild with supports fits with factory covers. I have the stock rtx windshield and my dad swapped for the tallest yamaha windsheld and loves it. I figured it makes you a bit slower, but the wind is either hitting your chest and face/helmet or the windshield so it can't slow you down that much.....This is the first sled I've ridden that my crotch is actually cold when riding...sitting down!! my firecat had a pretty low windshield but it must have been more functional.

NY_Nytro said:
Is the tall Yamaha windshield just taller than the mid height or is the hand area flare wider to give more hand coverage? From pics it appears just taller. Has any held a tall up to a mid to see where you get more coverage?

I have an 07 Apex GT and I run the powermadd tall windshield. It fits fine under my factory cover. It is not as cool looking as the factory windshield because the factory windshield has the matching decals but without wind protection I was always cold. I really like my new windshield.

See the Picture of my powermadd windshield.

Brad

Attachments

• DSC01598.JPG
    DSC01598.JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 899
My sled came with the extra tall windshield. I've been running a short one now for a month or so and while it looks better, it is way, way colder.

wildbonz said:
Yes the factory cover fits and the tall windshield actually keeps it nice and snug for trailering.
It's not hard to install, but you do have to drill two small holes in your plastic in front of the handlebars for the install. The rods are hollow and you use the rubber expanding hardware similar to the windshield fasteners.
After a while they will slightly dent/push in the plastic around the holes. I just switched back to the short one; hopefully I'll go over it and not through it as I've recently done a few times with the tall one:(
I have to agree with dave_dj1, there is a huge difference in wind pressure with the shorter one. You definitely feel and sound faster with the short one.
Careful with the little plastic screws from the windshield, they cost about $2.50 each here and the rubber inserts are about $3 or 4 each. It'll cost you over $50 each time you go through. But don't use metal ones instead, the plastic ones are designed to break off but the metal ones obviously won't and they'll break up your supporting pieces which are pricey.
OK so did i get shafted by my dealer,i ordered the extra tall factory shield, # sma-8fa96-40-bk its 17.750 " tall smoked color,and it has three holes in bottom,and no rods or plastic darts or anything came with it,am i suppose to have hardware to mount this monster,thanks. Pete

wildbonz said:
That looks like the tall windshield for an RX-1 but it's not the one for the Attak or Apex.
If you have the RX-1 it should work.

The extra tall windshield I have is the 21 inch model, as seen here;

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=1131&group=S&model=495

The 19" also has support rods.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=1175&group=S&model=495

Yamaha Canada doesn't show a 17.75 inch windshield for an Attak.
Ya i think you are right about the rx1 shield,on my paperwork its states rx1rxw its the 8fa96 number that seems to be wrong,they sold me the 07 apex gt,you would think they would know what shield it needs,as they shipped it down state to me by way of UPS,so i guess i call them and ship it back,good thing i am really in no hurry for my tall shield lol,and the number on the yamaha site for us in the USA show the extra tall shield being 17.3/4 tall and it lists the number as sma-8ft96-40 bk

Back