• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tapp Primary

Hammer70

GRIPNRIP
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
82SS440/96VMAX/02SRX/08APE/15SRVIPER/17SIDEWINDER
My nephew just showed me this clutch see the crack. These were just redone at tapp last season there a buddy of mine I guess there not built proof either.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-12-14-064128.jpeg
    IMG_2023-12-14-064128.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2023-12-14-064114.jpeg
    IMG_2023-12-14-064114.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 104

Never seen one crack on a 998 but the harmonics are hard on things. Wonder if that was caused by dismantling in the service ?

Never seen one crack on a 998 but the harmonics are hard on things. Wonder if that was caused by dismantling in the service ?

Hope TAPP sees this and comments.

Never seen that before and I wonder the same, from the rebuild or what the installer used to hold the primary when torquing the clutch bolt possibly too?

Just another thing to keep an eye on I guess.

My nephew just showed me this clutch see the crack. These were just redone at tapp last season there a buddy of mine I guess there not built proof either.
How may miles on that clutch?

I can’t answer all I know is he went to go put his clutches on and saw this because he has a 5 day ride in Quebec on Jan 2. I will try to get a hold of him to get answers for you guys.

Tapp is really good at helping out with those issues. Saw a twisted tapp last winter off a tcat here in maine with 360 or 375hp “small tune” on gap big turbo. I believe Dave fixed it for him at no cost.

Can you have a picture taken with cover off showing where crack is generating from... it looks like the cover may not have been seated or torqued on square... or some debris under cover when putting back on.... just a thought..would be nice to see where crack generates from.

Where the clutch is cracked seems odd and looking at the pictures it is obviously cracked in more then one place are the cracks 180 degrees apart?
To me it looks like cracks from harmonics or vibration frequency. Was there not a clutch manufacturer a few years back that stated not to use their primary clutches on the 998 due to premature failures?

Was there not a clutch manufacturer a few years back that stated not to use their primary clutches on the 998 due to premature failures?
STM has that disclaimer. I have seen more than one STM primary and secondary crack, and that was on the 110 Suzuki motor.

Really hard to believe that the TAPP would crack like this under normal operating conditions. First of all it's billet aluminum and not a casting, second it's 3 times more beefy than any stock primary. Something is off on this one.

Back