• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tek Vest

ruffryder said:
BordnBill said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I will order a Klim Tekvest tomorrow. My rib is broke right by the sternum, so it's quite painful. And being it's my bottom rib, sitting makes it hurt really bad. Someone mentioned they run big. I normally wear medium or large because I have an athletic build. According to Klims sizing chart, I would wear a large based on 44" chest, but my waist is only 34".
Find someplace that sells them locally, get all of your gear and take it with you to try them on.

If it is sized correctly and comfortable, you are much more likely to wear it...

X2. I'm 6'4", waist size 36, 46" chest. There is a fair amount of adjustability in the side straps of the vests. I chose an XL. I could have fit in a L but would have had to let the straps all the way out. With the XL the side straps are adjusted halfway out so there is still adjustability both ways.

BordnBill said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I will order a Klim Tekvest tomorrow. My rib is broke right by the sternum, so it's quite painful. And being it's my bottom rib, sitting makes it hurt really bad. Someone mentioned they run big. I normally wear medium or large because I have an athletic build. According to Klims sizing chart, I would wear a large based on 44" chest, but my waist is only 34".

Quite bragging,,,Chest 44 but my waist is only 34. Dude eat some Cheeseburgers and chilli fries will ya.

swelly said:
BordnBill said:

Quite bragging,,,Chest 44 but my waist is only 34. Dude eat some Cheeseburgers and chilli fries will ya.

I wish I could. I'm actually 5'9" and weigh 195 lbs. so I'm not skinny by all means. Oh, and I assume your joking.

52 chest, 44 waist. Wife ordered my 1st 1 in XL. Plenty of adjustment for my circumference, too short to cover my lower ribs and kidneys. XXL snugged a little and everything is covered properly.... well ALMOST everything LOL.

make sure you take the layers you are going to wear under it with you as well.

Note that I normally just wear a thin wicking layer, then the vest, then my outer layer. Normally that is good enough for most riding conditions. If it is really cold I will put a wool sweater on underneath the vest.

The vests hold a lot of heat in and make you a lot warmer. Something to think about for your layering system.

ruffryder said:
make sure you take the layers you are going to wear under it with you as well.

Note that I normally just wear a thin wicking layer, then the vest, then my outer layer. Normally that is good enough for most riding conditions. If it is really cold I will put a wool sweater on underneath the vest.

The vests hold a lot of heat in and make you a lot warmer. Something to think about for your layering system.

X2

BordnBill said:
swelly said:
BordnBill said:

I wish I could. I'm actually 5'9" and weigh 195 lbs. so I'm not skinny by all means. Oh, and I assume your joking.

Oh yes, I r joking. I am 5' 10" and 220 so I fully understand. Very rarely am I very serious.

Unless I am picking on some Cat Rider on this forum. Won't mention any names, but his initials are MTDREAM.

Now back to the subject at hand.

BoardnBill:

Sounds like everyone's convinced you, and I'll X2 the TekVest. I run the Freestyle TekVest in Large. I'm 6'0" 200lbs, and its about midway in the adjustment range.

I would echo the comments of bringing your normal riding gear and try it on locally, they are a bit bulky to put on under the suit, but when riding, I don't notice its there.

I do have one minor complaint/warning related to cold weather (below -15c) riding, in that you have to make sure your lower layers are enough to avoid any drafting between the vest and your chest and/or tighten the vest accordingly since it is made out of relatively stiff UHMW plastic.

I normally wear a thin fleece below the tekvest when it is really cold out. I forgot it on one ride which caused drafting in cold air from the neck area of my jacket.....not comfortable. Just keep in mind you should adjust the side straps depending on your layering for best performance.

OTM

Normally I wear an underlayer and a long sleeve shirt and my jacket. If it gets below 15F, I will double up on my underlayer, which is still little bulk. So with that said, most likely, underlayer, tekvest and jacket. I tried on the large at my local dealer, and I have it adjusted almost all the way to the tightest adjustment. Seems to fit good. If I lose any weight, it's in my stomach, so worse case scenario, it fits a little looser in the gut area. Does anyone have issues with it creeping up on you during those boondocking dayss? Does anyone notice if it's any harder to put on a backpack with the tekvest on? Beacon under or over the tekvest?

BoardnBill
I've never noticed it creeping after putting it on and letting it warm up. A good fit shouldn't have any problems during any part of boodocking, or when taking off a backpack to dig out your buddies. Most of the times I don't realize that it's on me- it's that comfortable.
Take care-

It is easier with the backpack as the vest helps to distribute the load on your shoulders. Also, the backpack keeps the vest down too.

The beacon goes outside of your tek vest. Technically, I think the beacon is supposed to be outside your outer layer.

I've been wearing a Tek Vest for years and never ride without it. I find it very comfortable. ;)!

Tek Vest Super Sport since many years. Fits perfectly between the fleece jacket and the shell jacket. Will never ride without it.

Funny thing - the grand father of Steve Brand (founder and owner of Tek Vest) is from Sweden and he used to live only couple of miles away from my grand father, before he moved to Canada. Steve was here couple of years ago and went to have a look at his old "hometown".

Back