• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tell a cat man what you like and dislike about your Phazer

Prav

Pro
I ride an Arctic Cat ZR 600 right now and I am looking hard at the Phazer... most likely an RTX. I definately want to try something a little different with my next sled and the Phazer caught my eye. There have been many mixed reviews about this sled - Lack of power - no top end speed. I really like the ergos but tell me what the PROS and CONS are of your Phazer.... honesty is a virtue Yammi Riders.

Also - how will this sled compare to the 600 i am coming off of and how will it hang with the mainly 600 crowd i ride with - aggressive trail riding

Thanks for the help!!!

:Rockon:

PRAV

In trails you'll be just fine against the 600's. Had no problems against my buddies with them. In fact I was usually ahead of them. If they are lake racers and like drag racing down long straights, you're not going to have fun. These things have good bottom end to them and pull real good in short hauls, but fall off on the top when you try to do those long straights. When my friends want to do the drag racing I usually would run once get bored with it and pull over and watch them waste gas. Give me a track, a tight trail, or a rough ditch and they just watch my tail light pull away.

PS stock these things have some issues that need to be worked out but once you get them worked out these things work darn good at what they are designed for. Especially if you're used to the posture of a dirtbike verses a traditional snowmobile.

Compared to your ZR600 in tight highspeed corners the Phazer is almost dangerous.Just forget about them.Everywhere else other than highspeed it shines.Reliability of sled is way below average for me but some have had no issues.Working on sled is difficult for some basic things like oil changes and plugs but easier for other things.Setup right you will actually have fun the rougher the trail and you will be able to do rough trail all day long and wake up next day ready for more.Seating position is awesome.Exhaust noise is cool and coming home and being able to hang jacket in house without getting reamed out for stinky 2st smell is nice too.The motor is really a perfect motor.Just fast enough to have fun with but not too fast to get in trouble.Funnest sled I have ever ridden.

I actually did a magazine article one time where I made the bold assertion that all anyone needs is a 500 cc sled and I still think that's pretty accurate. Notice I said "need." Sure, the go-fast guys on the lake like their Apexes or F-1000s, but for all around riding, it's tough to beat a nice, light, 80-90 horse sled that's reliable and fun to ride.

Yes, there seems to have been plenty of bugs with the Phazer to work out, but that's nothing new with any new model sled and couple that with the fact that this is a 4-stroke and that doubles the learning curve. It all depends on what you want to do with your sled and who you want to do it with.

Prav, please enter your location in your site profile so people know the area you are riding.

I rode with another site member one day and he brought his son's Phazer. We did a 200 mile loop and on the trails, I could not keep up with him. Sure, on the lakes I would scream right by him but he was always in front on the trails. He let me take it for a ride and it was a blast to ride that Phazer. Power up 70 mph is spot on.

I have a RTX Phazer and a 08 Nytro. The Phazer is for my kid, but I have been letting him ride the Nytro until I can get rid of the Phazer. As stated by cannondale27 it is dangerous. I have tried everything with the front-end including doolys, but the sled is all over the place and it tips in the corners. On top of the handling issues is the unbearable noise at higher speeds. This sled just wears you out and takes all the fun out of riding. I use to have a ZR, which is a great handling sled, no way will the Phazer ever be close in handling to the ZR.

If you give it a chance it may grow on you.Need to rethink the way you ride.Obviously coming from SRX I had to.If you ever rode a dirtbike its the same way.Sitting so high on Phazer when it tips a little it feels like alot.Let it tip and get on the gas sitting up in the corners a bit sometimes even standing.Is a whole new riding style that may not be for everyone.That is why I said it could be dangerous.I do worry letting anyone new ride my sled just because it is so different.

All this dangerous talk is crazy. The sled's only dangerous if you push it into situations that are dangerous. While it may demand actually thinking about what you're doing rather than just sitting there not concentrating, that's something that can bite anyone on any sled.

You'll have a great time on these machines.

Jon

im not much for trail riding, im more ditches, powerlines, offtrail...but for those short trip on the trail getting to where we need to go, like others said, this sled is a BLAST to ride..lean off it and it corners well...offtrail it is GREAT and very easy to throw around...i think the tippy-ness on trail lends itself very well to toss-ability off trail in the deeper snow....i very rarely ride sitting down and i never get tired....its not a lake racer but 0-65 is tough to beat...extend the track to 136 and i have found engine breaking almost non-existent anymore...i love mine, just need more snow now!!! its a perfect sled for my type of riding..

its the most fun sled i have ever ridden and will hold onto it for a long time...it is purpose built and if you are a "200 mile a day" trail rider this sled is not for you...

see these pics... http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=64167&start=30

that is one reason i love this sled...hangin off the side is fun...riding my phazer brings me back to my days riding my old yamaha blaster 4wheeler...

only complain i have with the sled is the valving on the rear skid shocks...kind of rough in the stutter bumps on the trails...but then again, most of the time i just pin it, stand up and go...but i will be revalving the shocks ASAP or putting something else in there...

best of luck with your decision....

I had a 99 zr600efi...it was a good sled and handled like a good "old school" riding position sled. Then I got a 03 600 REV..that sled was night and day different (in a good way)..to me it was more natural..you rode it more like a quad than a traditional snowmobile..you have to use more body english..more of a participant than a spectator when you ride. Next I bought my 07 Phazer FX..the Phazer takes the REV to the next level. I absolutely love the 4 stroke compression breaking..it is perfect for riding fast on twisty trails. It allows you to carry more speed going into a tight corner because you don't have to brake as soon..the engine braking is awesome for transferring weight to the front to turn the sled. The sled is a great aggressive trail sled and does EXACTLY what it was designed to do. I believe people that have problems riding this sled have bitten off more than their riding style can chew. I'm 41 years old..weight 175..in great shape..and have rode motocross and woods my whole life..The Phazer is the best trail sled I have ever ridden. (F7 absolutely suck in the trails when compared to the Phazer)..my .02 ;)!

Both my son and I have no problems with the Nytro as far as handling, but the Phazer, we just give-up on. The lastest issue of Snow Goer says the same about the Phazer, that its confused handling and the tight and twisty trails were its nemesis.

The concept of the sled seems to be good... possibly ahead of the equipment that's underneath it. With some tuning and rider participation it sounds like it could be a fun sled to own and ride. The top end speed is always fun but not the most important thing to me. A few more questions to keep the good feedback coming.

1. What performance mods have you put on and what have the results been? (clutch kit - studs - fuel regulator - air box mods - piping - no need to discuss turbos, that's not an option for me)

2. What low/mid/top end are you seeing out of these sleds - and yes i realize it's not a top end rocket - i am curious what you're seeing with and without the above mods.

The feedback is awesome fellas......

ok, the phazer is a awesome handling sled. i've had all cats my entire life from zr's , zrt's to firecats and the phazer by far is the most fun. i used to race motorcross and snocross (with race sleds of course) and on the trail or off trail the handling is great. If you can't have fun on this sled you should not being riding or maybe a rhino than you can just steer ;)!

Phazer WR on snow

Ive got around 4000Mls on my o7 FX,and after I learned how to ride the sled (comming off 00SRX) I call it my WR450 on snow.

Back