• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tell a cat man what you like and dislike about your Phazer

lets be a little realistic. first you are in MI and i'm in NY, I have better things to do than to drive to mi to see if you can beat me to the first corner on a 50hp bigger sled lol. come on are you serious.

Anyways yes it is just like a dirt bike on snow, ride it like a bike and is a blast.

Vector1 said:
Bring it on, me on my Nytro you on your Phazer and I’ll be out of sight and long gone by the 3rd corner.

Only if there is a lake between each corner.. :tg:

I rode our Phazer for the first time today. After 25 miles on it I can say it is a little different to ride. I was riding a '99 XC 500. I like the ride and the feel of it. It is a quick little thing. Seems it could tip easily if you let it since you sit up so high on it. All in all it handles well, rides great, has plenty of power for me, sounds great and will be fun to ride.

One thing to note, I'm not a speed demon and I don't ride to see how fast I can get to the next corner. I ride for something to do in the long winter months. If that helps.

I'm new here. I have 20+ years of sledding experience, the last 5 years on Z series 2-smoke Cats. We added a new '08 Phazer a few weeks ago.

For the first hundred miles or so I wasn't impressed, especially handling wise, and getting used to all the engine braking. A few tweaks on the base suspension (I'm 220#) to tighten the limiter strap and add some preload to the rear made a HUGE difference.

Now with 300 mi. on the sled I'm getting used to it, actually starting to enjoy it. The ride isn't as plush as the Arctic Cats, and the way it responds to changes in the F/R weight distribution i.e. on/off the throttle takes some getting used to. The power band is great, on the trails it's plenty quick in the 0-60 speeds you encounter. It took me a while to decide, but I think this one's a keeper. It definitely required relearning a few driving techniques to be as smooth and and fast as I was on the Cats.

yep, they are a TOTALLY differnt riding sled than just about anyting else i have ever riden...also a TON more fun

I was a die hard AC man for over 20 years. The Phazer (MTX) takes time to get used to, but once you do, I love it. I am 225lbs and it is under powered for mountain riding if you are used to a bigger sled, but sometimes it makes it more fun. You can't point and shoot on a big hill like you can with an 800, but you can sure have fun working the sled up the hill. You can't beat it out in the trees. I'll be honest, I fell off it in my own driveway last year, just was not used to how it handled, but now that I have a season under my belt, I can't wait for it to snow enough to get it out. I just put a holtzman nitrous kit on it this weekend for those times when it does need that extra grunt to get up a hill or out of a hole. It will be interesting to see how the system works. I also put the X-clickers on there to stiffen the rear suspension. That was probably my biggest beef with the sled was the under sprung suspension. All in all I am very pleased with sled.

I was a die hard AC man for over 20 years. The Phazer (MTX) takes time to get used to, but once you do, I love it. I am 225lbs and it is under powered for mountain riding if you are used to a bigger sled, but sometimes it makes it more fun. You can't point and shoot on a big hill like you can with an 800, but you can sure have fun working the sled up the hill. You can't beat it out in the trees. I'll be honest, I fell off it in my own driveway last year, just was not used to how it handled, but now that I have a season under my belt, I can't wait for it to snow enough to get it out. I just put a holtzman nitrous kit on it this weekend for those times when it does need that extra grunt to get up a hill or out of a hole. It will be interesting to see how the system works. I also put the X-clickers on there to stiffen the rear suspension. That was probably my biggest beef with the sled was the under sprung suspension. All in all I am very pleased with sled.

I want to hear more from you owners/riders on the performance mods and if you feel the improvements were worth the $. I realize that the information is out there in multiple threads (as i have read everything dating back to early 07) but it's good to get it on one thread and hear some updates as you guys have been riding the sleds a bit longer.

PRAV

Dude, just trust me..the Phazer is light years ahead of your cat in every category, except top end..just buy one..there not that expensive..new or used.

BAD :

Needs a better track and skis.

Cold.

Snow buildup (easily fixed though).

Steering is usually all loose and messed up. Balljoints and controls arms are all loose. Overall the steering feels mickey mouse. heh.

Anything over 60MPH the sled feels gutless. Before that though, it will hold it's own.

GOOD :

Fuel mileage is awsome.

I haven't had any starting issues at all, or overheating. I don't have a fan either.

Riding over bumps is where the thing shines. The seating postiion is much better than anything else out there.

The sled really shines once it's setup properly. Track and skis are a must. Re-drilling the front suspension arm about 1" lower does wonders for off trail. Wish it had another 30 -40 HP though. It's a heavy sled compared to a 2 stroke....

I know the TS is asking for mod info, and I can't help there, but I wanted to chime in anyway.

I bought an 07 and it was my first new sled. I was coming from an '87 Indy! The first time I rode it, I felt sick to my stomach. I was totally disappointed by it. I just didn't like the feel of it, and it felt tippy. It was hard for me to control around curves.

Then after about 150 miles, everything changed. I started to get the hang of it. At 300 miles, it felt totally natural. You just have to get used to it. I rode one day with some buddies, all of whom have much faster straight-away sleds than mine. I had to stop every couple minutes to let them catch up, and I'm not a speed demon or aggressive at all. The Phazer can just handle a trail that much better. If you just want to plant your butt on the seat and go, it's not great. But if you ride it like it's supposed to be ridden, it's awesome.

I don't know about this "unbearable noise" stuff. It's pretty darn quiet. It's got a load of grunt on the bottom end, though it does top out around 78-80. And man, you can't beat 20 mpg and no 2 stroke oil!

I keep reading things like, "if you ride it like you're supposed to" or "once you get the hang of it".

What is meant by this? Hanging off it it leaning, somehow using the engine braking to slow down before turns, or what? The imagination runs wild, thanks!

The rougher the trail and the harder you push, the better the sled works. I find myself standing up most of the time, even when cornering. The only time I sit and hang way off the sled is on the tightest of turns. I do not have studs, so I also will use the rear brake to slide the back end around just like a break turn on a dirtbike. For trail riding, especially when it's rough, it can't be beat. I have a couple of friends that I ride with... one has an Attack and the other has an '03 600 Firecat, and if the trail is twisty and rough, I have to wait for them alot! Hit the straights and they are LONG GONE! All in all, if you ride motocross or quads, you will probably really like sled! But, you better be in shape... that riding style takes a little effort! Like others have said, if you want to just sit and cruise, you will probably curse the day you bought a Phazer.

The dislikes... common maintenance like oil changes(with filter) and greasing front suspension is a complete PITA! Also, and this is very minor, but a couple more MPH on top would be nice for those longer straights. However, I wouldn't give up the light and narrow feel for extra MPH or HP!

Back