• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Temp gauge install

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
I installed this gauge and used a hose adapter that worked very well. I like this gauge because it has both temp and voltage even though it is in Celsius and there is Chinese writing on it (I have no idea what it says).

Before installing, I checked which radiator hose to use to ensure I use the hot one. Confirmed that the top hose is the hottest, coolant circulates from top to bottom of radiator. Cut one inch of the hose under the airbox as there is lots of room there for the adapter and sensor.

The gauge's thermometer symbol will start flashing if it goes above 100C and will flash HHH above 110C. Very nice.

Got the gauge and adapter from eBay:

Temp/Volt gauge

26mm adapter

Attachments

• MP Gauge (Medium).jpg
    MP Gauge (Medium).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 861
  • Sensor mount (Medium).jpg
    Sensor mount (Medium).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 881
  • Adapter (Medium).jpg
    Adapter (Medium).jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 784

Very nice install and not a bad little gauge. I assume you got the "C" 1/8 NPT sensor. Were you having overheat issues?

Where are you monitoring voltage? At the Battery?

Yes, got the 1/8"npt sensor to go with the adapter. Didn't have an overheat issue but it does if running on hard pack or ice so I just want to be proactive. Besides, I hate just having an idiot light. It monitors voltage through its power leads which I tapped at the auxiliary power fuse. I do notice the voltage drop a bit when the fan comes on or I turn on the rear hand warmers.

Very good idea, I am going to order one. What possibly get damaged if its overheated?

I've seen one that had so overheated that it lost compression in the rings. Head could also warp. These aluminum beasts are sensitive if overheated but the ECU usually shuts it down before that happens unless there is a catastrophic loss of coolant and it can't shut it down fast enough.

Btw, the gauge works great except it is difficult to see during the daytime. Tilting it up helped a bit. Not perfect but good enough for me.

Voltage is a steady 14.3V unless the fan is on then it drops to 14.2V. Temperature usually stays around 80-82C. I would know it's low on snow when it goes north of 85C. Fan turns on around 90C, turns off at 84C. Temps drop fairly fast when it kicks in but will not be enough if you're making so much power that it can't keep up without snow on the heat exchanger.

Where did you tie in for power?
And where did you put the sensor housing?

I tapped into the auxiliary fuse. For the sensor housing, it's under the airbox, the top hose going to the radiator. Could be different on a Nytro though.

Just an update. That CCC gauge died so I replaced it with a nice little Koso gauge. I unscrewed the old sensor and put in the new one quick enough to not lose too much coolant. Mounted the gauge on the pad with the supplied Velcro.

DSC_0062.JPG

Looks like a nice install Mooseman..have been considering a temp gauge ....had a lot of rain lately that took away quite a bit of snow and left everything hard packed and ice.....some of my friends have gone to ice scratchers to help cool their machines....this has been a strange winter....some days are more like spring...the high warming really gives a kicking to the available snow...also the rain opens up rivers and streams...ponds are not safe either...

I did the original installation by Moose with the eBay gauge and sender. Excellent write up. I did tape up all holes in the display unit so as nothing could enter and corrode it up. Like Mac21 said when we did have lots of snow, the machine was buried several times and so far so good. No problems and after 600Kms this winter according to the display, the average temp was 80 degrees C. 89 the fan would cut in and the idle down after first starting was 53. Haven't been home since the mild weather hit so no hard pack yet.

..Which KOSO gauge model number did you purchase Mooseman?...is it the Mini 3? ...nice install...!

..toqer20003...snow conditions are excellent at this time...hope you get a chance to get out and enjoy some time on the trails..

Good to have a back up display source Moose just case the original dies. Does it use the same sender unit? Mac21, good to know conditions are holding up as it was looking bad when I came to work almost 3 weeks ago. If the weather holds out for Monday, I'll get of Alcatraz and I'd say by Tuesday, I'll be burnin gas all over the west coast NL. Can't wait.

I had to replace the sender. I think I won't need a backup as this one is water tight compared to the first one.

Yeah, our season is done, however short as it was. Only did a total of 750Km. :(

Back