• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The jump

While I love everything about 4-stroke's, I too understand the desire to jump. I have 4 machines out in the garage, but I seem to spend more time looking at new sleds than riding what I have.

Part of the lure to new sleds is the deals out there. Non-current sleds are often discounted 30-40%, and there is no shortage of bargins. As well, many first-timers are unloading their almost new sleds because their riding dreams do not match up with riding reality.

And finally (I think), for me, the grass is always greener (snow is deeper) on the other side of the ditch. I want what I do not have and have what I thought I wanted, but...

What I really want is a brand new, never ridden, light, powerful, fuel efficiant sled that can carry two with ease, hit 120 mph on packed snow, blast through deep powder with one ski pointing skyward, pull wheelies at will, carve through tight trails like a rabbit evading a fox, and high-mark 30 feet higher than anyone else on the mountain.
Is that too much to ask?
(I take it for granted that the sled will have electric start without the extra weight of a battery, water cooling that is lighter and less complex than fan, electronic reverse that has no lag time between shifts, a seat that adjusts to whatever height I have adjusted the handlebars and windshield to, and storage where I need it)
Oh, and build everything in N. America, but price it below all offshore built sleds.

This is why I am always looking and prepared to jump. Until then, I guess I could go for a ride.

Mighty said:
The guys that will jump will be the one's that want a lighter sled. I understand where they are coming from. Last year while on my Apex ltx GT, we got to talking to some locals up in the UP that asked if we were tired of the beat up trails and asked if we wanted them to take us on the trails only the locals knew about. We said hell yea and followed. These trails were narrow and all rutted up. It was all I could do to stay on the sled while those two guys were riding back and forth across the trail and down into the ditch and back up again. JUmping stuff and having a ball. They were on a Polaris switchback and Doo 600ss REV. All I could think as I was riding was that was the true essence of snowmobiling I did as a kid. I agree that Yamaha makes the most reliable on-trail sled in the business but not a sled that could do what those guys were doing. So I'm guessing that the guys that jump ship will be going to a sled like those.

The Nytro does this very well.

The Nytro does that better than the Apex, Phazer may do I better than the Nytro (never rode a shorty Phazer). Either way the Nytro doesn't do it "very" well, "fairly" well would be my wording. A funny landing off a ditch can cause serious issues in the front end, no to mention a left side roll and it's dumping oil in to the air box, the Nytro can get a bit top heavy when set up for ditch banging.

Problem is the Apex is a better (non-twisty) U..P sled overall. Which is why you get the original posting, he wants something that is more universal. My guess is that he will like the Doo and probably not return, as if The Doo breaks, there will be two other companies offering more of what he's looking for before he loops back to blue.

As far as I am concerned, it just gives me more time to prefect the ones I have ;)!... Hell I just started collecting... 82 SS 440, Custom 84 Vmax, 2000 SRX, Custom 95 Vmax 4, 96 Vmax4, 06 Super Charged Apex, 09 Nytro XTX, 09 Venture, 2012 Apex SE... I may just buy another Apex or Nytro and turn the sled into the one I want... much cheaper ...Yea Buddy!!!

MrSled said:
As far as I am concerned, it just gives me more time to prefect the ones I have ;)!... Hell I just started collecting... 82 SS 440, Custom 84 Vmax, 2000 SRX, Custom 95 Vmax 4, 96 Vmax4, 06 Super Charged Apex, 09 Nytro XTX, 09 Venture, 2012 Apex SE... I may just buy another Apex or Nytro and turn the sled into the one I want... much cheaper ...Yea Buddy!!!

Very nice collection! :yam: hope youve got snow to enjoy them :Rockon:

yamaha1973 said:
MrSled said:

I go to the snow if I have too... I guess you could say I am a die hard...LOL

:jump:

MrSled said:
yamaha1973 said:
MrSled said:

I go to the snow if I have too... I guess you could say I am a die hard...LOL

:jump:

I couldnt swing a trip this year :o|

MrSled said:

Those are certainly some Hall of Fame sleds there. What's your favorite?

Metallicat said:
MrSled said:

Those are certainly some Hall of Fame sleds there. What's your favorite?

Thats a tough one... I love the apex for the trail but the SRX and Vmax 4 is still so much fun to ride..... even the xtx is hoot off trail... I guess you could say they all have a place.

dilligaf said:
Mighty said:
The guys that will jump will be the one's that want a lighter sled. I understand where they are coming from. Last year while on my Apex ltx GT, we got to talking to some locals up in the UP that asked if we were tired of the beat up trails and asked if we wanted them to take us on the trails only the locals knew about. We said hell yea and followed. These trails were narrow and all rutted up. It was all I could do to stay on the sled while those two guys were riding back and forth across the trail and down into the ditch and back up again. JUmping stuff and having a ball. They were on a Polaris switchback and Doo 600ss REV. All I could think as I was riding was that was the true essence of snowmobiling I did as a kid. I agree that Yamaha makes the most reliable on-trail sled in the business but not a sled that could do what those guys were doing. So I'm guessing that the guys that jump ship will be going to a sled like those.

The Nytro does this very well.
That's EXACTLY the crap I got stuck on yesterday for 50 miles, and I'm proud to say an IQ Shift 600 136 and an Renegade etec 600 saw nothing but Phazer tail lights that whole time :) even switch sleds a few time and they were both suprised how well the Phazer did in that nasty crap. We are talking 1'+ tall sort duration bumps that slow normal people down to under 10mph, we maintained 25-30mph

do not jump the ship....if you ride the trails..yammie is top.. ;)! ..I have had 3 electrical things changed on my new poo-poo...ok its running great and love it...but it was a reminder how good yammie is...but would still not buy a yam unless ridding the trails....2-smoke is the way for that...in tight trees..Love my technical polararisk...but they have isures just like everyone else...but yammies its cause its still the same and it burns slides and etc...but they are still the most reliable and best trail sleds around.....on that note....buying another RMK....lol... :jump:

Lighter sled bs got disproved with On Snow Mags real world test, which I thought was one of the most thorough realistic ones ever. Particularly, the real bump test where the Apex out performed all the other lighter sleds. By all of the chatter over the years it should have never been close. They were surprised as well. For me I'm staying blue with my 05 Rx-1 and will be buying a left over 2011 at a great price. I think i should be riding both 10 years form now.

I am very dissapointed with Yamaha's good enough philosophy with their sleds but luckily A) I can't afford a new sled and B) the other 3 don't make a sled right now that I really want. It has to be 4 stroke for me, and I don't like the 1100 and 1200 engines so I'm stuck. If I COULD afford a new sled right now, I can tell you I wouldn't buy another Yamaha though. Why spend $10-12k on the same exact unchanged sled?

Hopefully we are like the Arctic Cat riders a year or 2 ago before the ProCross and Yamaha comes back to life next year. I won't be in the market for a new sled, but I can't tell you how bad it is to be constantly harassed and laughed at for having a Yamaha.

Back