• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about..........jumping ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
X3 not sure why its so complicated, 6000 miles trouble free on my thundercat all while running 270hp.

Regular maintenance, gas and go fast lol.

FYI your sleds about to fall apart.

Buddy has a 2012 f1100 with 12000 miles

Regular maintenance works. The chassis is not that bad

I’m getting rid of mine every two years though or 5000 ish miles myself

Why do people boost these sleds?

Ill tell you why, because they dont make enough power! Manufacturers should take heed and build what people need. I run a measely 300 hp tune because that is the most horsepower I can get on a trailsled to run on pump gas. Sure, it annihilates everything else on snow, but that's because everybody has their head in the sand. Anybody that puts money down for a sled with a meager 165 hp is foolish and getting ripped off. If I could, I'd trail ride at 500 hp, but unfortunately that is not possible as of yet. But I can always hope.

These things sell for 15-20k. There is absolutely no reason why they arent capable of 200 mph right off the showroom floor. Having to pump money into these things after we purchase them to get what we need is absolutely ridiculous!!

Hey Yamaha...we need more power!!

Rant over....
The other manufacturers don’t have there head in the sand ... they can’t build quality 4 strokes ... and the 998 sidewinder motor far from what Yamaha could really put out

Besides bad gas mileage I have had good luck at 3400+ miles. I blew one belt that I'd say was my fault. I also re-did my oil tank seal in the off season, not that big of a deal. And I haven't done any extra maintenance vs. any other sled I have owned.

I also have had good luck with mine , 2300 kilometers and routine maintenance with a coupe of preventive measures. Roll over valve replaced with a hose, chain case roller welded and oil tanked resealed. I did those three mods before i experience any problems. So far really happy with this sled

There are lots of pluses (and minuses) to buying sleds from Polaris or Ski Doo, but the Pro Cross chassis handles better than any other snowmobile I have ever ridden. Granted, I rode my last Polaris back in 2011, so I guess I must have jumped ship before they discovered good handling. There is a legitimate argument that the Pro Cross front end is the best in the business according to some of the experts; I don't know if it is the best, but I know I really like it. The only thing wrong with the Yamaha front end is the Tuner skis that Yamaha puts on their sleds; they are a joke. I added Snow Trackers to my new Sidewinder, and it absolutely rails in the corners, and the steering is light and positive. (Leave it to Snow Tracker to make something out of nothing.) I have the LTX-DX with standard shocks, and it rides softer than my living room couch. Poo & Doo 2-strokes are undoubtedly lighter, and in many people's estimation, lighter equals better handling, but I am in my late 60's and I don't "throw" my sled around corners anymore, I "ride" it, and I like the solid feel of the heavier sled underneath me. For the past 8 years, I have been a died-in-the-wool 4-stroker, and I will never go back to a 2-stroke trail sled. I love the feel and ride of my Vipers and now my Sidewinder.
Couldnt agree more! i to went from 2 stroke cats to the 16 Viper and will never look back. With new skis it corners great and that four stroke power is addicting. Smooth and linear. Cant beat the ride of my LTX DX.

I have really enjoyed the 9 pages I have just read. I couldn't imagine having the amount of time and money into one of these that some of you have into them just to dump it for pennies on the dollar after 2 years. I have 3400+ miles on my 2017 and planning on keeping it. This is the most miles and longest I have kept a sled. I do hear all your complaints and concerns about this sled and I have some as well that are well documented on the forums. I know my next sled will be one that is better on fuel as more of a long distance type of sled probably in the 125hp range. I have had "open" class sleds for quite some time now and I don't need this kind of power to keep up, when everyone I ride with is on a 600 and is getting close to or over 20 mpg to my 10-12 mpg.

You have a unicorn!! Keep it!!

Fleecer really 500hp what ever dude your talking like your lips don't match you must be a big racer guy. Most people can't handle the power of a stock Winder and you want a manufacture to double it. I hope your life insurance is payed up. I don't know we're you ride but around here the only place to use that power is on the lake but is so rough you can't do it anyways.

Up in "The County" in Maine he uses ALL of his 300 hp.
I know because i've ridden with the crazy bastard.
We have trails up there that i've personally seen 124 on my speedo & got bored.
Not that i'm condoning 500 hp on the trail, but FLEECER has been running big power for 20 years now.

The closer you get to Canada the crazier they get. That's why they call them Crazy Canucks...

Up in "The County" in Maine he uses ALL of his 300 hp.
I know because i've ridden with the crazy bastard.
We have trails up there that i've personally seen 124 on my speedo & got bored.
Not that i'm condoning 500 hp on the trail, but FLEECER has been running big power for 20 years now.

The closer you get to Canada the crazier they get. That's why they call them Crazy Canucks...

I couldn't agree more with seeing 110+ and getting bored as hell on the long railroad beds. The best trails up in The County for a SideWinder have to be the logging roads - nothing but torque and speed from wide sweeping corner to wide sweeping corner!

Why do people boost these sleds?

Ill tell you why, because they dont make enough power! Manufacturers should take heed and build what people need. I run a measely 300 hp tune because that is the most horsepower I can get on a trailsled to run on pump gas. Sure, it annihilates everything else on snow, but that's because everybody has their head in the sand. Anybody that puts money down for a sled with a meager 165 hp is foolish and getting ripped off. If I could, I'd trail ride at 500 hp, but unfortunately that is not possible as of yet. But I can always hope.

These things sell for 15-20k. There is absolutely no reason why they arent capable of 200 mph right off the showroom floor. Having to pump money into these things after we purchase them to get what we need is absolutely ridiculous!!

Hey Yamaha...we need more power!!

Rant over....
ARRR ARRR ARRRR!! Tim Allen would be PROUD!! LOL!!

1800 miles this year in 8 days of riding
I haven’t worked on it or changed a belt when riding. Just turn key and add gas.
I did put different gear ratio in, added studs, added hp, changed weights and springs, etc etc.

I feel bad that you luck is that bad. I’m going to Florida for commodity classic which we won a contest for here in IL btw. Free trips are good.
I’ll probly go up one more time and get my 2400 miles for the year and then put it away.

I have two turbos with a combined 4200 miles that have not broken down on the trail once. Hmmmm

I must have good luck
Some people should not own a four stroke Turbo I guess??

It's good to see those that are enjoying their sled. Although 1800 is not even broken in yet.
After break in.............it may break! Unless steps are taken from this site to rectify POTENTIAL problems.

My hose was ripped under my tunnel last week. When i explained to friends what happened they ALL said "why is there a hose in the tunnel?"
I started the day with a thawed dry sled so a chunk of ice from trail must have gotten in there. THAT can happen to anybody any time! We shouldn't have to call Travis to get a cover to cover up a DESIGN FLAW!

I can give many more examples of what MAY happen..........or you can just BE LUCKY....

BTW:
I may have 12,000 miles on my Winder this year.................if it lasts

P.S: I'm not bitter & really love this sled, i just don't want to rely on LUCK rather a properly designed functional sled

I couldn't agree more with seeing 110+ and getting bored as hell on the long railroad beds. The best trails up in The County for a SideWinder have to be the logging roads - nothing but torque and speed from wide sweeping corner to wide sweeping corner!

I call those the SLALOMS

There are RR beds in the county that have proven mightier then any big hp sled! Have lost many 2 smoke motors up there trying! So live on Fleecer with that dream of tooooo much power for those beds.

After an hour on those beds I am ready for the many race course themed dual lane fields or power lines, which make my mid tuned Max Spool 16 seem like a fricken rocket with it’s insane midrange. With spots offering 1/4 to 1/2 mile of rolling hills and curves, and the ability to see the whole stretch of straight always, rolling hills and slight curves also makes it quite safe to turn on! Way way way too many favorite spots like that to mention up in the COUNTY!!! Rock on crazy Bastards... the best is yet to come for the season in riding.

It's good to see those that are enjoying their sled. Although 1800 is not even broken in yet.
After break in.............it may break! Unless steps are taken from this site to rectify POTENTIAL problems.

My hose was ripped under my tunnel last week. When i explained to friends what happened they ALL said "why is there a hose in the tunnel?"
I started the day with a thawed dry sled so a chunk of ice from trail must have gotten in there. THAT can happen to anybody any time! We shouldn't have to call Travis to get a cover to cover up a DESIGN FLAW!

I can give many more examples of what MAY happen..........or you can just BE LUCKY....

BTW:
I may have 12,000 miles on my Winder this year.................if it lasts

P.S: I'm not bitter & really love this sled, i just don't want to rely on LUCK rather a properly designed functional sled
LOL
Wtf.
Anyway I don’t worry at all when I hit the trail. Yea I know what can break so I drive it in a way not to break it.

You running Stm tunnel protectors
Probly save that hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back