• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about..........jumping ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya not even any good alternatives out there.

All good points. Don't get me wrong my sled is running fantastic but I don't have anything to gauge it against cause I haven't ridden anything else in a long time. I have invested a lot of time and $$ into this sled. I have it right where I want it. Its really fast and smooth love the engine. The little things drive me nutts and the others seem much more buttoned up.

Oh the thing I really hate is the drone its awful

I am going to borrow my buddies Renegade 850 this weekend and see how I like it.

Im not a 2 stroke guy, only 4stroke for me, but i put 110 miles on one last weekend and it is an incredibly fun sled with some incredible midrange pull.
You will like it

Why wait? Sell your so called junk to someone who will appreciate it. But, once you leave to the smoke side, you can never return. I have been riding Yamaha since 1978. Probably always will.

Disagree, The chaincase (tensioner roller) on the Winder needs attention. The shaft and bearing on the brake side needs attention. The cheap pot metal track adjusters need attention. I could go on and on. Every bit of the Cat, that is Cat, needs modified or re-engineered to last any length of time. Stock or modified, makes no difference. Its an engineering nightmare and an SNAFU on Cats part! And it's uncalled for to be going on for so many years without change. Cat will go under if they don't fix it and fix it fast.
Mike I completely agree,i will have to make this yamacat,last as long as I can though.Now retired and broke from my last heart surgery,so it must last,if I have to drive it slower to save money,so be it. I can honestly say I just don't trust this sled once out on trails by myself now,at first I did,but now with all the soft areas this sled now seems to have,i just lost my trust in it.

They all have their problems. My local AC /skidoo dealer is ranting and raving about how much better the new zr8000 iact sled is in the trail over any sled they’ve ridden. They have always chose skidoo ahead before
I raced cross country for some years on a 600 for Cat and always liked them for trail. I rode a turbo and no thanks on those gutless turds. Lower your sled a half inch and make it turn which you’re halfway there with SRX or tcat. It’s all the hp and handling you need
Just takes a little work to get there
JMO

While I understand that it's all opinion and how you feel on the sled, I'd like to think my $0.02 will help you in your decision.

I came off a 2010 Phazer GT to a brand spanking new 2014 SR Viper XTX SE (way back when they first came out). After having access to my father's RX-1 and Apex for years, the SR Viper felt like the right sled for me (enough power to keep me happy, but not too much where I got into trouble - though that happened from time to time). The SR Viper was excellent for what I used it for and Yamaha stood behind every warranty claim I put in. I absolutely abused the sled (2' to 3' moguls for hours on end at 75+ mph will eventually take it's toll and stuff did break). Yamaha was always there with new parts and footed every bill. The only time I was actually stranded was when the exhaust decided to pop a rivet and start melting - towed it back to the dealership and Yamaha replaced all the melted plastic, put in a new exhaust, and changed the oil from the burnt lines (I literally paid $0 for thousands of dollars in repairs in the 4 years I beat the living daylights out of it). While I know it's not great to hear "thousands of dollars in repairs" for a single snowmobile - trust me when I say the parts that broke should have done just that for the way I ride. And Yamaha was always there - that's the type of company I stand behind.

This past April, after 9,000+ brutal miles and many great experiences, it came time to look for a new steed to replace the tired girl. I looked at all four manufacturers and tried out whatever I could swing my leg over (basically everything but the 850 Patriot - they didn't exist in the wild yet). Coming off the SR Viper and various Apex models, I loved the four stroke torque and that's what I looked for - that arm stretching pull from corner to corner. I also wanted something that could sit quite happily at 80+ mph for long periods of time without missing a beat. I narrowed my search down to a SideWinder (model to be determined at that point) and the Ski-Doo Renegade X 850 E-TEC. But I'll be honest with you, I was REALLY disappointed by that 850. It felt boring to me and the handling wasn't as godly as everyone made it seem - it handled the same as my SR Viper and felt no faster (in fact, it felt slower - not that I could tell because the analog speedometer wasn't working and didn't know how to scroll through the menu otherwise). After taking on ride on a SideWinder, I was hooked. After going through the paperwork with the Ski-Doo dealership, they also showed that warranty work has a deductible (which is unheard of in our world) and they wouldn't take my SR Viper on trade since it wasn't a BRP product.

That's how I picked up my 2019 SideWinder XTX LE. I just got home from putting the 1,600th mile (give or take a few) on it this past weekend and I couldn't be happier with my decision. The handling is incredible - flat cornering, incredible acceleration and deep snow capability, comfortable ergonomics, a top-of-the-line shock package, and that heated seat is amazing (plus the Stealth controls are pretty damn nice). Sure, there are some things I'm going to change (4th wheel kit and longer snow flap off the top of my head), but nothing that's really going to break the bank. I have no interest in boosting power more than stock because that's when stuff starts to break - no different than "chipping" my truck. Hitting a deer at 120 mph is going to hurt just as much as hitting it at 105 mph. My belt hasn't broken. My dealership replaced two of the turbo bolts with easier to use hex heads if I ever need to take the muffler off.

I think the snowmobile is all in what you make of it. For me, that 850 was a dog - terribly disappointing. The electronic throttle on the Ski-Doo four strokes would drive me nuts. The starter on any Polaris sounds like you're trying to grind marbles in a food blender. I never had 99% of the issues found here and on other sites common to the sleds developed through the Arctic Cat/Yamaha partnership. I'm one of the (probably) few people who are glad this partnership came along. In 6 clasps and unplugging the speedometer connection, I have complete access to my motor - that's pretty important to me.

I hope this helps with your decision and look forward to see what you pick up (even it's not a Yamaha o_O)!

Last edited:
While I understand that it's all opinion and how you feel on the sled, I'd like to think my $0.02 will help you in your decision.

I came off a 2010 Phazer GT to a brand spanking new 2014 SR Viper XTX SE (way back when they first came out). After having access to my father's RX-1 and Apex for years, the SR Viper felt like the right sled for me (enough power to keep me happy, but not too much where I got into trouble - though that happened from time to time). The SR Viper was excellent for what I used it for and Yamaha stood behind every warranty claim I put in. I absolutely abused the sled (2' to 3' moguls for hours on end at 75+ mph will eventually take it's toll and stuff did break. Yamaha was always there with new parts and footed every bill. The only time I was actually stranded was when the exhaust decided to pop a rivet and start melting - towed it back to the dealership and Yamaha replaced all the melted plastic, put in a new exhaust, and changed the oil from the burnt lines (I literally paid $0 for thousands of dollars in repairs in the 4 years I beat the living daylights out of it). While I know it's not great to hear "thousands of dollars in repairs" for a single snowmobile - trust me when I say the parts that broke should have done just that for the way I ride. And Yamaha was always there - that's the type of company I stand behind.

This past April, after 9,000+ brutal miles and many great experiences, it came time to look for a new steed to replace the tired girl. I looked at all four manufacturers and tried out whatever I could swing my leg over (basically everything but the 850 Patriot - they didn't exist in the wild yet). Coming off the SR Viper and various Apex models, I loved the four stroke torque and that's what I looked for - that arm stretching pull from corner to corner. I also wanted something that could sit quite happily at 80+ mph for long periods of time without missing a beat. I narrowed my search down to a SideWinder (model to be determined at that point) and the Ski-Doo Renegade X 850 E-TEC. But I'll be honest with you, I was REALLY disappointed by that 850. It felt boring to me and the handling wasn't as godly as everyone made it seem - it handled the same as my SR Viper and felt no faster (in fact, it felt slower - not that I could tell because the analog speedometer wasn't working and didn't know how to scroll through the menu otherwise). After taking on ride on a SideWinder, I was hooked. After going through the paperwork with the Ski-Doo dealership, they also showed that warranty work has a deductible (which is unheard of in our world) and they wouldn't take my SR Viper on trade since it wasn't a BRP product.

That's how I picked up my 2019 SideWinder XTX LE. I just got home from putting the 1,600th mile (give or take a few) on it this past weekend and I couldn't be happier with my decision. The handling is incredible - flat cornering, incredible acceleration and deep snow capability, comfortable ergonomics, a top-of-the-line shock package, and that heated seat is amazing (plus the Stealth controls are pretty damn nice). Sure, there are some things I'm going to change (4th wheel kit and longer snow flap off the top of my head), but nothing that's really going to break the bank. I have no interest in boosting power more than stock because that's when stuff starts to break - no different than "chipping" my truck. Hitting a deer at 120 mph is going to hurt just as much as hitting it at 105 mph. My belt hasn't broken. My dealership replaced two of the turbo bolts with easier to use hex heads if I ever need to take the muffler off.

I think the snowmobile is all in what you make of it. For me, that 850 was a dog - terribly disappointing. The electronic throttle on the Ski-Doo four strokes would drive me nuts. The starter on any Polaris sounds like you're trying to grind marbles in a food blender. I never had 99% of the issues found here and on other sites common to the sleds developed through the Arctic Cat/Yamaha partnership. I'm one of the (probably) few people who are glad this partnership came along. In 6 clasps and unplugging the speedometer connection, I have complete access to my motor - that's pretty important to me.

I hope this helps with your decision and look forward to see what you pick up (even it's not a Yamaha o_O)!
Well said and thanks for the reminder. Yea mine made me walk this weekend but like you its been a hell of a ride and Yamaha did stand behind me too. Was thinking Sidewinder with some dread on the walk. Maybe it is time.

There are lots of pluses (and minuses) to buying sleds from Polaris or Ski Doo, but the Pro Cross chassis handles better than any other snowmobile I have ever ridden. Granted, I rode my last Polaris back in 2011, so I guess I must have jumped ship before they discovered good handling. There is a legitimate argument that the Pro Cross front end is the best in the business according to some of the experts; I don't know if it is the best, but I know I really like it. The only thing wrong with the Yamaha front end is the Tuner skis that Yamaha puts on their sleds; they are a joke. I added Snow Trackers to my new Sidewinder, and it absolutely rails in the corners, and the steering is light and positive. (Leave it to Snow Tracker to make something out of nothing.) I have the LTX-DX with standard shocks, and it rides softer than my living room couch. Poo & Doo 2-strokes are undoubtedly lighter, and in many people's estimation, lighter equals better handling, but I am in my late 60's and I don't "throw" my sled around corners anymore, I "ride" it, and I like the solid feel of the heavier sled underneath me. For the past 8 years, I have been a died-in-the-wool 4-stroker, and I will never go back to a 2-stroke trail sled. I love the feel and ride of my Vipers and now my Sidewinder.
I could not have said it better myself! Love my 4 strokes, will never go back unless forced too. I have a Viper and a Winder, the ride is incredible. It feels like I am not earning my miles, like I am cheating! LOL I have yet to find the perfect sled, and I have been buying them since 77.

I too have a 2019 xtx le . The old Nytro was getting tired and all the hype put me on a Sidewinder. I have about 1000 miles on it. Blew a belt about 500 miles. I think I need a different primary spring, somethings wrong and I am hoping to figure it out without having to chase down the problem with money. But I am now spending money on the Nytro for a back up.

I have a 900t boosted as i'm a TD dealer also .Just moving the 900t around the shop you notice how much better the balance is with the 900t and the 80 lb weight difference as the tires don't look like they're going to pop on the cart .No lag in the throttle ,Wheelies at will ,Gets better fuel mileage than my PT winder and my 2019 850 Doo .I also ride by myself a lot ,but i don't even think of doing that with my winder .If anyone gets a chance to try a 900t that's boosted ,clutched ,and geared correct you should try one with and open mind .I'm not loyal to any brand as i have doos,cats ,yamahas .But for now my winder will just be a dust collector unless someone wants it .

I came off a 2010 Phazer GT to a brand spanking new 2014 SR Viper XTX SE (way back when they first came out). After having access to my father's RX-1 and Apex for years, the SR Viper felt like the right sled for me (enough power to keep me happy, but not too much where I got into trouble - though that happened from time to time). The SR Viper was excellent for what I used it for and Yamaha stood behind every warranty claim I put in. I absolutely abused the sled (2' to 3' moguls for hours on end at 75+ mph will eventually take it's toll and stuff did break. Yamaha was always there with new parts and footed every bill. The only time I was actually stranded was when the exhaust decided to pop a rivet and start melting - towed it back to the dealership and Yamaha replaced all the melted plastic, put in a new exhaust, and changed the oil from the burnt lines (I literally paid $0 for thousands of dollars in repairs in the 4 years I beat the living daylights out of it). While I know it's not great to hear "thousands of dollars in repairs" for a single snowmobile - trust me when I say the parts that broke should have done just that for the way I ride. And Yamaha was always there - that's the type of company I stand behind.

Coming from a guy that jumped ship last year I will say that the above is very well said. Oh, and while I am here....... P.S. I know where there is a really nice, almost new, Switchback XCR 850 for sale. If you think you want to jump ship I am pretty darn sure that the owner would happily come to agreeable terms to take an equally nice, say 19' LTX-LE Winder, off your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back