• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

Great tip, had mine apart (for another reason) and had a look....filter is already dented and bottom of block is worn too....more then I am comfortable with.....

I was going to scrap that chinsy wannabe skid plate and bolt on a 1/4 inch thick piece of aluminum plate. Snow came and I never got it on. Guess I will now.

That's funny I've got a 08 with a rod thru the block, same thing happend pin hole in the filter from the SKID plate,we've never seen that before must be abuse SO IT'S NOT COVERED UNDER THE B.S. Y.E.S. WARRANTY.

Anyone have some pictures of the damage and more importantly your fixes? I would like to build a new alum. plate for down there just wondering your ideas?

With the other filter I talked about earlier it has more room but I think there is a need for a different brace

I had the same issue the first ride this year but the sharp edge cut through my oil pan instead of the filter.

I had to replace the pan which requires you remove the whole front end and made a 1/4'' aluminum skid plate that replaces the stock yamaha one.

I would recommend anypone who rides aggressive offtrail to remove and replace the stock skidplate.

And I did have the yamaha aftermarket skidplate when it happened. All three of us who ride XTX's now have the new heavy duty skid plates after seeing this.

If it wasn't for my friend needing to go back to the truck I may not have noticed I had an oil leak, when I moved the sled after he was done we noticed brown snow and then started to dig.

And I know we have a bunch of guage watchers on this forum but My bars obstruct the dummy lights so I got lucky.

I should of said something about this a long time ago, I ended up grinding the aluminum channels down a bunch a year ago because when I was changing oil I noticed that the aluminum channels had been wearing into the oil pan.

But I am conserned about why your motor didn't shut down when it lost oil pressure? When the oil pump chain broke in my motor the motor died, it would restart but I noticed that the valve train started to get a little noisy so I never ran the motor more than a few seconds. 4 strokes rule!!! LOL!

a few weeks ago after a night of heavy duty ditch banging i started my sled to warm it up, went into the shop to open the door and when i got back to the sled noticed a black spot of oil under it in the snow.drove it into the shop right away and put it on the lift,and noticed oil dripping off of the belly plate.took off the belly plate and sure enough the oil filter had a dent in it.work at a metal fab shop,was going to wait till summer to make a new one,probably going to make it sooner.

Sorry to hear this.

I just installed a Roest skid plate. Very nice fit and finish. It replaces the stock plastic plate.

Attachments

• roest skid plate.jpg
    roest skid plate.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 143
2008 Nytro RTX said:
Why didn't your motor shut off when it sensed you lost oil pressure

The sled started to get loud which at first I thought it was the exhaust I had just replaced coming loose so I stopped and looked at it and everything looked ok so I got on the sled went 10 more feet and the oil light came on and maybe 3 seconds after that the motor shut off. I looked at the snow under the sled and it was covered with oil so I had my buddy tow me about a mile back to the cabin. Pulled all the panels off and looked it over and when I tried to turn the crank it was making a crunching noise and it was very hard to turn. I was able to to finally see through the space behind the oil tank that a chunk of the block was pushed out so I knew it was toast at that point. Dealer even said by the time the oil light comes on its to late to save it.

2008 Nytro RTX said:
Correct me if I am wrong,But he was leaking oil. This means the oil pressure and oil level both dropped. I am sure it came up on the dash. Not bashing anyone here,Thank you for the heads up. Just stating my opinion. When the oil level is low the light comes on,I had this happen to me last year. The sled does not shut off

I was at the gas station 1 mile before it blew up and there were no lights on the dash. When I stopped to check why the sled was getting louder there were no lights on the dash because I had just looked down at it when I got back on the sled and drove 10 feet when the light came on and the sled died 3 seconds after it showed the light but it was still to late to save the motor.

Back