• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on the 2016 Viper MTX

So are the a arms narrower then the 15 or is the base of the spindle just skinnyer , they said it goes out to 38 i wonder will purchasing these spindles allow 15 owners to suck it into 36
From what I've gathered to retro fit a 15' we'll need the upper A-arm along with the spindle. I want to say you can keep your bottom A-arm and to get the full narrow stance 34.5" you have to run the new stock ski because they have a wider saddle

I sounds like to me the lower A-arm needs replaced also cause shorter shocks are also being used. I don't think there is that much adjustability in the ski/spindle offset to account for that much difference.

Guys, the 34 to 38 is ALL in the ski. Buy the wide ski and put spacers in to get the same thing.........change skis and lose the 34 to 38.

So are the a arms narrower then the 15 or is the base of the spindle just skinnyer , they said it goes out to 38 i wonder will purchasing these spindles allow 15 owners to suck it into 36

I looked at the demo at the Denver Snow Show last Tuesday night, the adjustability is ALL in the ski for width. Change the skis you have the same width as now. The only advantage to the 16 I could see was some camber change, but you have to give up 2 inches of travel to get it. I for one will not be changing to this setup.

Side note: I adapted old Camoplast all-terrain skis to my Viper so I could do the same thing the 16's did and get an extra inch of spacer, mine is set at 37.

Randy Swenson said on SW you need shorter shocks with the '16 setup. That tells me the lower A-arm is narrower also. I can't see how all of the adjustability is in the ski!

The spindle is different, but ALL the adjustability is in the ski. Put on aftermarket skis and the adjustability is gone. And yeah, sitting next to a 2015 you can visually see the loss in travel associated with the shorter shock. But I am not going to argue, go see one for yourself.

I could be wrong, just how I interpret it. The show came thru SLC on a Tuesday, didn't get to see in person.

I could be wrong, just how I interpret it. The show came thru SLC on a Tuesday, didn't get to see in person.

The Yamaha rep and I stood and chatted for a bit, he also said you could buy the skis and have the same adjustability on a 2015 or 2014. Skis didn't look bad but my Viper at 37 wide is getting tippy on the roads so I for one do not need any narrower, of course your mileage may vary :cool:

Randy Swenson said on SW you need shorter shocks with the '16 setup. That tells me the lower A-arm is narrower also. I can't see how all of the adjustability is in the ski!
I also read on snow west that a shorter shock was needed but if you watch @3:50 in the video below arctic cat talks about the upper a-arm and the spindle but not a new lower a-arm.
If you look at the bottom of the spindles in the pic they angle inside a good bit below the lower a arm and that ski has the widest saddle ive ever seen.
201502271000176_zpslkfppcmd.jpg

The Yamaha rep and I stood and chatted for a bit, he also said you could buy the skis and have the same adjustability on a 2015 or 2014. Skis didn't look bad but my Viper at 37 wide is getting tippy on the roads so I for one do not need any narrower, of course your mileage may vary :cool:
One of the biggest selling points for me on the new front end is getting rid of the bulky snow anchor of a spindle the 15' have on them. The new spindles shouldn't drag so bad during a side hill. For me the skinnier stance is welcomed when the snow gets set up even the 37" stance seems a little wide I struggle to keep this beast on its side while my buddy on his Pro skates around me

Hmm, that's a good video. The new "tuner" ski didn't look to have that much adjustment to it in the other video. Is Cat and Yamaha doing their own skis?

randy let me try the 2016 viper last weekend in revy and i will be ordering the new front end for my 2015 mtx in spring. way easier to initiate and hold a side hill.

Back