• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on Vector? (Comparison to RX1's)

I know. I am hoping things change as the motor loosens up.

I was worried about my 05 RX-1 until Bluedog and I lined up together on the lake. He also has an 05 RX-1 and I thought his was a little a faster when we swapped sleds the day before on the trails. However, I got him out of the hole and led the whole time. Weight was probably the reason I beat him, but I learned that my 05 was not slow, but not as fast as my broken in 03.

Thumper1000 said:
Tork, I don't like to disagree with you, but ah yes I must. I have both and the rs has no where near the power of the rx, both 05s, everytime I get off the vector .......

Had I not been there myself side by side (well almost side by ha ha) I would not believe it either. Some other items to consider.
Suisse sledder has ice scratcher like attachments for his simmons. At lower speeds you can see a very strong jet of snow directed at the coolers and hyfax. At 100 I have to think that they cost him 2+ MPH. Also they (Suisse and Bluedog) have studs which help them with the hole shot but cost them a little on the top end. My white knuckle really lets the engine breath better. They say 2-3 HP but it feels like more (I'd guess a good 5 or more HP). Plus shedding the exhaust weight, plus the RS weighing 15 lbs less (some say each 7lbs = 1 HP) also is a factor.

Bottom line
the RX 'feels' fast. It has punch. And it is faster.
The Vector is sneaky fast without the punch feel to it and it is slower but it is not like the X riders are going to have to wait for more than a few seconds for the vector to catch up.
The difference in feel of the 2 is greater than the reality
Mileage is only 6-10% better on the S by the way.

i dont know about htat 6-10%....i think its farther than that. dad on his rx1 and me on my rage same mileage, he had 1 bar left on fuel guage and i had 3 when we pulled into the trailer. to me i think thats quite a difference. he was runnin on one bar for a while, but i was runnin on three for a while too. i think the rage will get 2 bars better than the rx1 will...per tank. thats 2.5 gallons...i think thats way more than 6-10%

We are seeing more like a 15% difference.

pimpedrsrage said:
i dont know about htat 6-10%....i think its farther than that. dad on his rx1 and me on my rage same mileage, he had 1 bar left on fuel guage and i had 3 when we pulled into the trailer. to me i think thats quite a difference. he was runnin on one bar for a while, but i was runnin on three for a while too. i think the rage will get 2 bars better than the rx1 will...per tank. thats 2.5 gallons...i think thats way more than 6-10%

flipper said:
We are seeing more like a 15% difference.

Suisse Sledder and I filled up around 7 times and my vector was only 6-10% better. I used a calculator each time. My mileage was bet 15.6 and 17.3 I have the White Knuckle Exhaust and I was pretty close in performance to the RX sleds. So it is possible that while I am getting better performance, I am also burning more fuel

Not one of you guys even mentioned ride and handling compared to a REV.
The RS is very "sneaky" in my opinion. It's very quick out of the hole and super, super quiet. My wife's with 20 miles on the clock ran 109 mph on the speedometer on good ice, which is very different than hard pack snow. I was breaking trail the other morning and with snow rolling over the front of the hood you could barely distinguish engine noise over the rattling of the primary clutch. This sled is much better in agility and handling than any RX-1 I've ever ridden, but won't come close to the quality time spent on a Rev.
We ride in Quebec in conditions you mention and you already own one of the best sleds built for your style of riding. Given good average trails on an average day the RS wouldn't even smell the 2 stroke of that super french package until the Rev rider stops for lunch.
Of course it is nice not to have to cart all of that oil wherever you go. Also gas mileage on the RS is around 18 mpg (at least ours is).
Don't get me wrong the RS IS a really nice sled. Our group likes to trade sleds during the day and it seems all of us LOVE their turn with the Rev 600 sdi.

ssvolvo said:
Not one of you guys even mentioned ride and handling compared to a REV.
The RS is very "sneaky" in my opinion. It's very quick out of the hole and super, super quiet. My wife's with 20 miles on the clock ran 109 mph on the speedometer on good ice, which is very different than hard pack snow. I was breaking trail the other morning and with snow rolling over the front of the hood you could barely distinguish engine noise over the rattling of the primary clutch. This sled is much better in agility and handling than any RX-1 I've ever ridden, but won't come close to the quality time spent on a Rev.
We ride in Quebec in conditions you mention and you already own one of the best sleds built for your style of riding. Given good average trails on an average day the RS wouldn't even smell the 2 stroke of that super french package until the Rev rider stops for lunch.
Of course it is nice not to have to cart all of that oil wherever you go. Also gas mileage on the RS is around 18 mpg (at least ours is).
Don't get me wrong the RS IS a really nice sled. Our group likes to trade sleds during the day and it seems all of us LOVE their turn with the Rev 600 sdi.

Just goes to show ya how opinions can vary. I spent last weekend putting on about 350 miles in 50 degree temps and crappy trails. My buddy rides a 600 GSX and we switched off. Even in the rough stuff, I didn't care for the REV chassis. Center of gravity too high, and while you can make it handle well, it requires a lot of effort and I was sweating like a pig after about 20 miles. Obviously, the rider forward concept is valid because it's sold well, and Yamaha and Polaris both are going that route. I do like the ergos on the Fusion better than the REV, and I'll be interested to ride an Apex (next weekend) and see if Yamaha can do as well as Polaris with the ergos. If so, the total sled should do very well against the REVs.

This past weekend I had the chance to ride both the Vector and the RX-1.
I personally liked the Vector better. It felt a little bit lighter and was much quieter.
It seemed to me like the 2 sleds were pretty equal up to about 80 mph, after that the RX seemed to have a lot more pickup left, whereas the Vector seemed to start to run out of steam.
The thing about the Vector that surprised me was how very quiet it is. It was almost spooky! However, when that motor hits 7000 rpm it has a very nice, sort of "exotic" sports car sound to it. It doesnt have quite the same angry, snarling scream of the RX, but it still has a very nice tone to it, although more subdued than that of the RX.
Thats one thing about the RX-1 that kind of annoyed me a little. You constantly have that sportbike/crotchrocket sound blaring in your head. Dont get me wrong, it sounds far better than any 2-stroke sled does, but it is so very different from what I am used to. I also had a hard time getting used to having the exhaust noise coming from right behind me. I kept getting the impression that someone was behind me (and I mean right on my back bumper) and it would take a little getting used to.
For the kind of riding that I do, tight trails at moderate speeds (30-50 mph) I would go with the Vector. It corners a little bit better, its a little bit lighter, it gets better fuel economy and it doesnt have the constant "waaa waaaa" sportbike sound blaring in your ears.
All in all, both are great sleds, and I would be honored to own either of them someday. Its sort of liking choosing which car you want to drive to work, the Acura or the Lexus. ;)!
Hebi

Thats funny to hear volvo, I spent a day riding with a retried WSA snowcrosser that ran an 05 600 sdi renengade x package and on the trails the 600 sdi pushed in the corners like UPS truck. My vector was spanking him out of the corners and everywhere else until where went off trail where the rev was king with the 136" track and 1.75 " lugs combined with the 15" of travel in the rear. On the trails in the UP though. The vector reigned king over the DOO.

vectorvs rx1

I personally like the handling of the vector over the rx1.The vector feels much lighter than the rx1 exspecially boondocking off trail.It is aslo sneaky power like they say.I don't know if tork and me just have fast one's or what.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats funny to hear volvo, I spent a day riding with a retried WSA snowcrosser that ran an 05 600 sdi renengade x package and on the trails the 600 sdi pushed in the corners like UPS truck. My vector was spanking him out of the corners and everywhere else until where went off trail where the rev was king with the 136" track and 1.75 " lugs combined with the 15" of travel in the rear. On the trails in the UP though. The vector reigned king over the DOO.

Anyone that rides a REV hard knows they need more aggresive skis like SLP SLT skis. I'm surprised your friend didn't have them.

Ran my warrior against a RSventureTF(151 track,wide skis,silver color,not sold in USA)here at sea level in NFLD.That rs ran with me up to 80mph no problem.It also ran neck and neck with a piped 2002 ZR600.So the vector with less mass and drag should be faster.PS got fair amount of snow today,tomorrow,over the hills and far away.

Back