• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thundercat died won't run

Rossv123

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Thundercat
I was riding my thundercat today and when I was at about 1/4 throttle it died. It didnt make any weird noises or anything. I tried to restart it and it started but then died when I gave it gas. I checked the oil and there was oil all over the oil tank area. I just checked the oil yesterday and nothing was there. There is still plenty of oil in the tank and no oil light. Any ideas? Thanks.

oil level saftey shut down. most likely frozen vent line and it blew out the oil tank gasket.

Oil in tank area maybe seal between chain case and oil tank?
Won't run - maybe iced up? TORS? How much gas is in it? Throttle cable too tight?

Sounds like throttle switch for TORS. Happened to me when brand new on a wet snowy day. Replaced throttle switch assembly. Fixed. 6,500 miles ago.

Oil in tank area maybe seal between chain case and oil tank?
Won't run - maybe iced up? TORS? How much gas is in it? Throttle cable too tight?
Now this morning I went out and started it and it will engage without dying. I checked the TPS and it reads 0 when im not hitting the gas. The tank is almost full. How do I check to see if TORS is the issue?

Is this machine inside somewhere it's warm if not you need to get it inside and thaw it out, moisture gets in the vacume lines and intercooler hoses and freezes causing all kinds of havoc. If you have it in a heated shop disregard this because obviously that's not the problem. Did you figure out were all the oil came from yet that probably has something to do with the situation.

Is throttle cable too tight? Needs to have at least .030 - .060" play in it.
TPS can only be checked/adjusted using CATT II tool at dealer.

Is this machine inside somewhere it's warm if not you need to get it inside and thaw it out, moisture gets in the vacume lines and intercooler hoses and freezes causing all kinds of havoc. If you have it in a heated shop disregard this because obviously that's not the problem. Did you figure out were all the oil came from yet that probably has something to do with the situation.
It stays in an enclosed trailer I will pull it out and put it in the garage to thaw.

Enclosed trailers can be your issue. Or should I say the climax and final link of your issue. People tend to load them up and the end of a ride right away and the sleds go in really warm, make a ton of humidity and then stuff freezes again when it cools down. My Viper had an issue twice with that. Now I let it cool down outside where the humidity can escape and load it up an hour or so later. No issues since.

Enclosed trailers can be your issue. Or should I say the climax and final link of your issue. People tend to load them up and the end of a ride right away and the sleds go in really warm, make a ton of humidity and then stuff freezes again when it cools down. My Viper had an issue twice with that. Now I let it cool down outside where the humidity can escape and load it up an hour or so later. No issues since.

Good idea on letting them sit and cool before loading. I don’t do that. My sleds live in my trailer year round. On a warm day, it will literally be raining in my trailer then freezes again overnight. I’ve considered adding a fan to one of the vents to help with moisture in the air.

Is throttle cable too tight? Needs to have at least .030 - .060" play in it.
TPS can only be checked/adjusted using CATT II tool at dealer.
I adjusted the throttle cable it has a good amount of play in it now. I also changed the oil and resealed the oil tank. I pulled the sled into the garage and thawed it out. The sled will start and idle fine so I took it for a spin and it ran okay for about 30 seconds then it wanted to die again.

I believe that the seal went out in the oil tank but i'm not sure what causes it. I found a vent tube that melted off in the bottom of the sled but I cant figure out where it came from.

IMO:
This is related to moisture from heat cool/cycles.
You need to drain all your fuel, pull off the intercooler, pressure sensors and lines, charge tubes ect and clean the moisture and oil residue out of everything. It sounds like this is moisture related. Also leave it in a heated garage long enough to let the relays all dry out as well.
If I were you I would also bypass the roll over valve as recommended by many members here to prevent future issues.

I totally agree with sideshowBob on the moisture issue.

Back