• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time to put the sled away.... Till next year....

ttw_walman said:
YAMASLOB

As far as just starting the sled once in a while. I"ve heard (and it seems reasonable to me) that just running your sled does not get the exhaust system hot enough to boil off all the water that is produced during the combustion process. You need to be into the power to get that kind of heat. Instead you would get a lot of condensation in there that could lead to corrosion and subsequent premature exhaust system failure.

P.S. You live in my favorite place in the world. Winter or Summer!! I'm especially fond of Cranberry Lake!!

Really?? It always worked with the 2 strokers, well see I live in Saranac Lake aint to far away, very nice riden over there.

When I start my sleds up every month in the summer I let them run until they shut themselves off. I believe it takes about 5 minutes and the engines get up to operating temp.

Steely Dan said:
When I start my sleds up every month in the summer I let them run until they shut themselves off. I believe it takes about 5 minutes and the engines get up to operating temp.

Shut themselves off? WHAT?

I have always just run my sleds once a month or so. I have done it with 2 stokes and with both my four strokes. I run my RX1 for 10 minutes and it does not shut itself off in that time. In July I will pump out the gas, put it in my car and put fresh gas in the sled. I have never yet had to clean carbs on any of my sleds.

I have always run my sleds every two weeks or close to it with no problems. Also never had to clean the carbs.
I plan on doing the same with the 4 strokes. Usually start by draining all gas and mixing up 3 gallons with stabilizer , which does the off season.

First it isn't proper to compare 2 strokes to 4 strokes.

Then if you guys start your sleds all through the summer and have no problem then I guess nobody can say your wrong but do one thing for me. Smell your oil.

Starting it without letting it run under a normal RPMs and not at operating temperature doesn't burn off excess gas and condensation. IF your oil has excessive amounts of gas in it then it isn't really good anymore. Ask your self another question . Why do engines have breathers. Answer is to vent out contaminates. Under clean air rules they bring it back into the air intake to re-burn it.

Read any car manual and it will tell you to change your oil more often with brief trips especially so in the winter. All car manufacturers could not be wrong about this.

In extreme cases such as when you really flood the engine you will loose almost all oil pressure. You won't see that starting it up for several times during the summer but I can assure you that you are polluting your oil. Best to Fog or throw a teaspoon of oil down the cylinders and leave it sit. I myself prefer the fogging. After you fog pull your plugs and they are pretty wet with the fogging oil which makes me believe that I have also coated my cylinders as well.

I sincerely hope I'm helping and not sounding like some pain in the butt know it all. Just citing the facts that I have read about so many times before.

I did like the idea of Spraying everyting down with Silicone Spray. I spray down some but not all of the parts with Silicone. Greasing to get the water out is also a great idea.

Good points PAMikeC, makes sense. I never start mine during the off season. That reminds me, I still need to summerize mine.

On another note, didn't someone say that seafoam acts as a fuel preservative AND absorbes moisture?

Seafoam does act as a fuel stabilizer. I had e-mail from the Seafoam rep on the use of the product.

I have stored mine two years now one year with stabil and one year with seafoam. Had no problems with start up on either year mind you I have had the fitch in the sled for the two years also.

I like to take the weight off the suspension as well. ;)!

Does anyone know for sure if seafoam also absorbes any water that may get into the fuel (like dry gas does)?

Everyone has their own opinion, but personally I agree that short idling periods are not a good idea for a 4 stroke engine. I do not run mine during storage periods as the oil as well as the exhaust needs running time to disipate the moisture and unburned fuel. Short run periods add moisture as well as corrosives to the crankcase. I like to have a fresh oil change on it right when it's put away, and keep the oil fresh while not in use. I'm sure that running them periodically has it's advantages though. I am not stating that either opinion is correct, just stating mine.

I've never had carb issues on my 2 strokes when stored properly either, but due to the consequences that a partially plugged jet can cause to these vulnerable engines in a lean condition, I pull the carbs down in the fall anyway and spray the passages out. Cheap insurance.

I use WD-40 from a spray bottle on most mechanical and suspension areas, staying away from the clutch and brake.

I my opinion foggin is better than just dropping oil in the cylinders. If you fog the engine, you will not only coat the cylinder walls, but you will also coat other things, such as the valves.

And fogging and engine is most definitely better than occasionally running the engine.

Moisture accumulates best when there is a temperature change. Running the engine until it is hot will most definitely burn off moisture. But moisture will again accumulate as the engine cools down. In doing this you will actually end up with more moisture in the engine versus doing nothing.....

Back