• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips for adjusting track and alignment?

Dmarks

Veteran
So I'm heading back out to try this again. I'm going to losen my track off and re adjust it over my drivers as the left side is against the left driver but my right one is not pushing it that way. Then I will bring track back to the proper tension of 25lbs pressure 2" down from slider (137 skid). Also did some more reading from the book and it says to check the alignment from the inside wheels and not the outside as I did before with my fourth wheel kit. Bring adjusters to same length to ensure everything is square and then use minor adjustments to get track to ride properly. If I have missed anything with this please chim in. Any help would be great as this is really pissing my off. Thanks

With the 4th wheel kit I use outer belt to wheel as my measure, but either way works. I try to even out my adjusters with the tension set (I run a little snug) and run like that. If it's off I go 1 wrench flat at a time on the side that it favors until it runs reasonably true.

I have a couple quick questions also. I'll try not to hijack your thread Dmarks. I don't have my snowmobile lift at home, all I have is the track stand, so I can't get the track off the ground high enough to use the scale to pull down 25 pounds. Would I be alright to just put a 25 pound weight in the skid and measure my 2 inches from hyfax to track? Also after you guys tension your track and are getting ready to run it around a couple times to check alignment do you tighten the rear axle run it check alignment and then loosen again to make adjustments? That's how I always have done it, I was just curious if anyone left if loose, ran it made adjustments and then in the end tighten the axle up once it's tracking correctly.

Perhaps we over think track adjustment. I use the 2 finger method, mid section, between track and hyfax. The rear hub is snug, but can move while adjusting on the track stand. When close, I take a ride bringing my wrench & ratchet with. For me, it takes some trail tuning. You have to realize that the track will dance a little. As long as it's not totally grind the track clips, on one side, I know I'm good. Sometimes I can get my index finger between the track clip & hyfax. Other times my little finger. But neither hyfax is contacting the track clips.

Back