• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips for Checking the Oil

yamahaguy

Ride SAFE
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha MTX LE with MPI

Does anyone know how much oil you need to add to go from the bottom of the dipstick to the acceptable range?

When I changed my oil I failed to notice that the old filter's o-ring was still there. After I was done with the oil change I lost a bunch of oil on the floor when I started the engine. It didn't look like it was more than a quart on the floor but at this point I've put in two quarts since my mishap and I'm only barely registering on the dipstick.

Does anyone know how much oil you need to add to go from the bottom of the dipstick to the acceptable range?

When I changed my oil I failed to notice that the old filter's o-ring was still there. After I was done with the oil change I lost a bunch of oil on the floor when I started the engine. It didn't look like it was more than a quart on the floor but at this point I've put in two quarts since my mishap and I'm only barely registering on the dipstick.

I would say to try to add 1/2 cup to 1 cup more, then recheck and add another 1/2 cup if needed. You will see it come up slowly. Just don't want to over fill it.

Insure you bring the engine up to operating temperature once you see any oil in the sight glass or on the dipstick. You might also want to pull your sled over a SMALL amount to the right from drivers position to see if your close to sight glass or dipstick level.

When oil heats it will expand so don't wait to bring engine to temp prior to checking oil. It will probably be over filled if you do that!

Back