• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To the dealer for a tune for ECP kit... Again, Suggestions?

mikystyle

Veteran
I installed an ECP kit from Tuner and did the proper jetting and adjusted the fuel screws. I took it to my dealer to get the carbs synced up and its still running a little funny. Idles kinda rough like its gonna stall(even when idle turned up) and I cant just hit the thottle as it bogs a bit, I need to feather the throttle a little. Nothing terrible just not quite running right. Anything specific I should tell the dealer to do as this is the second time going in and I want it done right? Thanks guys.

When is the last time you have your carbs cleaned thoroughly?? It does not sound like the ECP kit is at fault here, sounds like there is some dirt/debris in the idle/low speed circuit. I would go through the carbs making sure all the circuits are clear of debris, take the jets and air screws out to blow them out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Also, pull the plugs and look carefully at the color and to see if their are any deposits built up on the tips. A fresh set of plugs gapped correctly usually can solve typical low end bog and lousy idle.

in my opinion, if you can install the ecp kit you can sync your carbs, i think i paid an extra $100 for the sync tool, it takes alot of time at least it did for me my first time , how much time does a flat rate tech spend on it , close might not be close enough, i would rather know it rite than just be told it is

As far as cleaning my carbs when I installed the new jets I used some carb cleaner and checked for debris. I didnt go nuts but everything looked good. Plugs are brand new and were installed at the shop so I would hope they gapped em correctly. My local yami dealer charges $75 for a carb clean/tune which in my opinion is way better than hauling the carbs out and doing it myself (unless your into that) as long as they do it right. Would having them tune it and sync the carbs in Oct. when the temps were 50-60 degrees be an issue considering now its around 10-20 degrees?

are you running the holzman springs with the kit, and if so, what color? the carbs are set to match intake vaccuum and the outside temperature makes no difference. you will probably have to remove and clean the pilot jets, as they have the most effect at idle and low speed.

grader said:
are you running the holzman springs with the kit, and if so, what color? the carbs are set to match intake vaccuum and the outside temperature makes no difference. you will probably have to remove and clean the pilot jets, as they have the most effect at idle and low speed.
Got the silver springs in there. And thats good to know about temp. Like Sled dog said, Ill have to have em test ride it as they probably didnt do that the first time. Thanks guys.

Just a thought, not sure if you have had this problem since you installed ECP but you may have to go to 20 or 22.5 pilot jets and/or raise needle 1 notch. sounds like you could be lean on bottom end. I was on mine. just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Brian...

Just brought it into the shop today but before I had it in i noticed some arching between one of the plug caps and the top of the motor. Could this be contributing to the idle/bogging problem?

mikystyle said:
Just brought it into the shop today but before I had it in i noticed some arching between one of the plug caps and the top of the motor. Could this be contributing to the idle/bogging problem?

That is most definitly adding to your problem. Press the little clip and pull off the wire clip do one at a time. Pull up and twist to take the spark plug caps off. You might as well take your plugs out gap and clean them and reinstall. I use the spark plug tool in your tool box work good for the plugs. Get some dielectric grease and apply some to the outside of the spark plug cap and reinstall making sure to push down fairly hard to put it in place and then plug your wire clip back on. Let us know how that works for you.

Well found out that two of the coils are shot and are $90 a piece. Thought they fixed this in '04?

What do you mean when you say the coils are shot? Do they not fit onto the plugs snugly or it there an electrical problem with them? I have found the top of the spark plugs wear down leading to a less than snug fit but the coils do not wear out.

RX1Jim said:
What do you mean when you say the coils are shot? Do they not fit onto the plugs snugly or it there an electrical problem with them? I have found the top of the spark plugs wear down leading to a less than snug fit but the coils do not wear out.
The fit is fine they are worn out. They are arching to the top of the motor.

They arcing to the valve cover because there is a lot of metal dust in the spark plu well. The metal dust gets created by the coil stick vibrating on the spark plug connection. Take the coils out, take the rubber parts off of them, clean them with a spray cleaner like 409, spray-nine etc., blow out the spark plug well with compressed air and reassemble. The arcing will be gone. This needs to be done on the 03 coils every 1000 miles or so.

Back