• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Todays project.

RTX

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 viper rtx
2006 apex rtx
I recently purchased an exhaust can for my sled and while im know it does not need it, i decided to fabricate an exhaust blanket/cover for it.
I found a used cover off of a procross 800 on ebay for $25 shipped
I also purchased a hand sewing tool and some high temp kevlar thread and a button snap kit for a total fof about $25 including shipping. So im into this for about $50
I had to cut the blanket in a few places and sew it up a little but overall im pretty happy with it.
I still have a little sewing and finishing to go but heres where im at.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks great. Should drop inside hood temps.... I am assuming that is the goal

Looks great. Should drop inside hood temps.... I am assuming that is the goal

Yes that is the goal.
To be honest this never crossed my mind untill i was searching ebay and saw the muffler cover priced so cheap i couldnt resist buying it.
At the time i bought it, i had never actually seen one so i really had no idea what i was buying or if it would fit.
I figure If it works, thats great. If not, no big loss.
Right now i think its gonna work out well but i wont really know till we get some snow.

Great job !
I am surprised no one has asked if you can adjust the chain tension with that in place.............LOL just joking it is stinking JULY. But every other exhaust post has that ? so I thought what the heck.

Shame on you Mark, but that is a Good One!!

Great job !
I am surprised no one has asked if you can adjust the chain tension with that in place.............LOL just joking it is stinking JULY. But every other exhaust post has that ? so I thought what the heck.

I realise this is implied as a joke.
Your statement/joke does not upset me but the tensioner topic drives me absolutely insane.
For what its worth, just my 2 cents but i often wonder what all the fuss is all about with access to the chain tensioner bolt.
From my experience on every sled i have ever owned my chain got adjusted at 500 miles and then again at the beginning of every season when i change out my chaincase oil.
Some Guys make it sound like they need to adjust it every ride?
On the viper the chain case cover needs to be seperated in order to drain the chaincase which in my opinion should be done every season. In order to drain the chaincase oil the muffler needs to be pulled for access and the tensioner gets adjusted while the muffler is out. No big deal.
Honestly, i might be the cheapest guy on this site, christ im sewing my own muffler blanket to save a buck but even i can afford to spring for a $15 gasket once a season.
If your putting on super high miles each year and need to inspect your tensioner more often then spring for a copper gasket and some rtv and reuse it. No big deal
And yes, its the evo muffler and the cover does not obstruct the access, lol
Rant over.

I realise this is implied as a joke.
Your statement/joke does not upset me but the tensioner topic drives me absolutely insane.
For what its worth, just my 2 cents but i often wonder what all the fuss is all about with access to the chain tensioner bolt.
From my experience on every sled i have ever owned my chain got adjusted at 500 miles and then again at the beginning of every season when i change out my chaincase oil.
Some Guys make it sound like they need to adjust it every ride?
On the viper the chain case cover needs to be seperated in order to drain the chaincase which in my opinion should be done every season. In order to drain the chaincase oil the muffler needs to be pulled for access and the tensioner gets adjusted while the muffler is out. No big deal.
Honestly, i might be the cheapest guy on this site, christ im sewing my own muffler blanket to save a buck but even i can afford to spring for a $15 gasket once a season.
If your putting on super high miles each year and need to inspect your tensioner more often then spring for a copper gasket and some rtv and reuse it. No big deal
And yes, its the evo muffler and the cover does not obstruct the access, lol
Rant over.

AGREED completely, no rant just makes sense to me

Shame on you Mark, but that is a Good One!!

Dan glad to see others thinking sledding in JULY.

Man the corn is JUMPING out of the ground here hope all is going well for you and Jane at home.

I just thought it funny how it was such a huge topic before, I can see how the after market exhausts make that adjustment easier.

Hmm I wonder if my dealer did the chain tension with spring 'new sled check and summerize' I will have to check with him.

Back