• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Heavy and tipsy feeling...

05_RX1

Extreme
Looking to get some advice here to hopefully correct this because I feel like the sled wants to tip over and go into a barrel roll in turns...

Went for a 230+/- ride this weekend for the first time on my 08 Vec LTX GT...

First impressions were good and I love the power and torque of the engine. Very smooth.

But, let's get back to the topic at hand here...

One thing I really don't like about this sled is that when I go into a turn somewhat aggressively, the sled feels like it wants to tip over. I was having a difficult time keeping the inside ski planted when turning. I weigh about 175-180 w/ all gear on...

Right now I have my transfer rod set at medium, right in the middle of max and min. I have my preload dropped down so that the A-arms are parallel to the ground.

What should I do to keep that inside ski from lifting? It seems like every time I hit a turn that requires some type of body movement to the inside, that the sled wants to flip and I end up lifting that inside ski. And, combine that w/ hitting the throttle, that just keeps that ski up even longer, especially when pulling out and away from the turn. It's quite annoying and frankly, feels a bit uncontrolable. I know I can bring the transfer lower to help eliminate that problem though. I just need to somehow get that inside ski lift from cornering away...She just feels so top heavy and tipsy. So bad that I ended up having to ditch my sled yesterday as it went into a barrel roll, flipped over and fell into a 3 foot ditch and landed on it's nose completely vertical and as it was coming down it landed perfectly right side up (amazingly!) facing back up the trail in the opposite direction I was originally going! Ended up having to tow it out with a CAT!!! Thankfully both sled and rider walked away w/out injury (except for the Yamaha sticker on the side of the cowl peeled off!)

Any suggestions?

all have the same issue w/ the apex's as well(which is the body style of the new 08" vector) and everyone is suggesting doing what you mentioned w/ the front springs and also to put a heavier 13 mm sway bar in place of the stock 11mm bar thats on it and they say its like being on rails. if you go to the apex post, you can read alot about it. pioneer is the company that sells them.

Before the sway bar swap, try setting your control rods to min transfer ... I've found that adjustments here make a big difference on ski lift.

Putting on a set of articulating bar risers helps as well by rolling the bars forward, it allows you to sit further up on the tank.

You also need to aproach corners differently. I'll come into a corner a little hotter than before, then instead of just letting off the throttle, I'll roll off it easily which will then allow the engine brake to kick in. This should help to plant that inside ski. As I begin to come out of the corner, I don't mash the gas until I'm fully lined up. I'll roll the throttle on, then hit it once I'm fully out.

You do have to use some body english when riding agressively, but once you get used to the different riding style it will almost feel like second nature.

Agree with rik. I set my Xfer rod to one up from Min and noticed a huge difference in lift from previous "Mid" position.

The ski lift is a result of body roll...not hitting the throttle and having the weight transfered to the rear.

I'm thinking softening up the front end a lil more and also adding the bigger sway bar.

I really don't know how much bringing down the transfer rod closer to minimum will help...but its worth a shot...IF I could only get that spanner wrench to not slip every freakkin time I try and loosen it. I swear, that thing is like frozen solid on there. I'm pretty close to stripping the stupid thing!

i noticed my apex was easy to turn in the summer and then once i went for s ride its 100 times harder to turn now. i may try warming it up to make sure its not frooze.

Mine is not an Apex but an 04 warrior but they have the same issues of inside ski lift.Try stiffening the front springs i put 4-5 turns on my front springs and it help a lot .I run with 4 lines showing on the transfer rods and have the 13 mm sway bar corners very well now. I went the soft route first but it just got worse because it was body roll which was the issue and going softer up front makes it worse. I broke my sway bar one ride you want to talk inside ski lift and body roll .

I have had the same problem with my Vector, 06 gt, I have not been
able to get the transfer rod adjusted either due to the thing being so tight
and wanting to slip and strip, any suggestions on breaking the dam thing
free would be great!!

Thanks!

Just got back from an 800 mile ride this past week up in Aroostook County, which is argueably the best riding in the Eastern US...Lemme tell ya, it was INSANE! We arrived on Tuesday night and hit the trails Wednesday mornning. Got out there and hit some amazing trails and some not so good ones. Later that day a major winter storm arrived and we got pounded w/ anywhere from 8 inches to well over a foot and a half of fresh light powder. Freshened things up big time.

At any rate, I STILL have this stupid inside ski lift. I've cranked my clickers to hard and set my springs to soft so that the a arms are parellel. Needless to say, no help. I managed to roll my sled twice and caused some damage...bent the steering column and handlebars and also busted up my windshield/headlight assembly. UGH. I absolutely hate how I can't hit the turns w/ any aggresive speed. I put all my weight over the inside ski and still encounter the body roll.

On another note, I can't seem to break that stupid transfer rod nut free. The thing is on so bloody tight that I am starting to wear down the teeth and I'm afraid I'm going to strip it completely and then be SOL.

I love the sled...fuel mileage is great, ergos are nice, power is good, etc. But damn do I hate that tippy feeling.

Oh yeah, another thing...I have deuce bars on my sled and have my skis shimmed. It helped with darting but I noticed this thing pushed like crazy in the corners until I hit some hardpack. The conditions were groomed packed powder. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the shimmed skis and the longer track resulting in the sled just wanting to go straight, or if it's just soemthng else entirely (maybe transfer rod setting and/or limiter strap setting?), but man, it was not a comfortable feeling in the turns.

Any ideas?

Well I ended up using large channel lock pliers on
the transfer rod locknut and it worked like a charm. I backed
off the transfer to 2 lines from min, moved limiter strap
one hole tighter than stock, and backed off front shock springs,
the good was it stayed down alot better on the turns, but
the negative is the lack of transfer keeps the front end down a
little too much when trying to launch and get air, so I am
going to set transfer at the middle, and put strap back to stock and try it again. (The transfer was set from dealer at 1 line from max, so this should help)

Punchtech...

I have my transfer rod set right in the middle. I'm thinking somewhere between minimum and medium...so like 1/4 transfer essentially...might do the trick?

On another note, this is a dummy question, but nonetheless, a question...LOL...Just so I'm not tightening this stupid transfer rod locknut, what way (if you're on the left side of the sled) are you turning to loosen it? I want to make sure I'm trying to spin it the right way to get it free, instead of actually making the damn thing tighter than what it already is!

05_RX1 said:
Just got back from an 800 mile ride this past week up in Aroostook County, which is argueably the best riding in the Eastern US...Lemme tell ya, it was INSANE! We arrived on Tuesday night and hit the trails Wednesday mornning. Got out there and hit some amazing trails and some not so good ones. Later that day a major winter storm arrived and we got pounded w/ anywhere from 8 inches to well over a foot and a half of fresh light powder. Freshened things up big time.

At any rate, I STILL have this stupid inside ski lift. I've cranked my clickers to hard and set my springs to soft so that the a arms are parellel. Needless to say, no help. I managed to roll my sled twice and caused some damage...bent the steering column and handlebars and also busted up my windshield/headlight assembly. UGH. I absolutely hate how I can't hit the turns w/ any aggresive speed. I put all my weight over the inside ski and still encounter the body roll.

On another note, I can't seem to break that stupid transfer rod nut free. The thing is on so bloody tight that I am starting to wear down the teeth and I'm afraid I'm going to strip it completely and then be SOL.

I love the sled...fuel mileage is great, ergos are nice, power is good, etc. But damn do I hate that tippy feeling.

Oh yeah, another thing...I have deuce bars on my sled and have my skis shimmed. It helped with darting but I noticed this thing pushed like crazy in the corners until I hit some hardpack. The conditions were groomed packed powder. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the shimmed skis and the longer track resulting in the sled just wanting to go straight, or if it's just soemthng else entirely (maybe transfer rod setting and/or limiter strap setting?), but man, it was not a comfortable feeling in the turns.

Any ideas?

FWIW - I disagree (never did agree) with the concept of front ski springs on the softest...think about it. What is going to prevent the front body from wanting to roll? A soft spring or a "hard" spring? Why do you think Pioneer offers only stiffer front end springs??..not softer.

As to the pushing...welcome to the world of Yamaha skis and dual runner bars.

IMHO and you won't want to hear this....unless you're willing to spend some $$ and live with some compromises....you bought the wrong sled. You rode a brand new sled so hard that you rolled it (more than 1X?!!!) and you're wondering what's wrong with the sled?

A Nytro or other brand's aggressive rider sled sounds like it would be more to your liking.

Just my .02!!!

If your on the left side, loosen the nut up and over the top (Basically counterclockwise from either side of sled facing the locknut will do it).
I'm not sure if loosening the front springs helped or it was the transfer
settings, but in theory lowering the front end by softening up the springs
should help the tippyness due to lower center of gravity, shouldn't it?

Back