• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TOP SPEED INFO

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
I've got 2800 miles on my Warrior now and I've done several runs on the lake in front of Real Masse in Quebec. The lake is a 1/2 mile run.
The best I've seen on the speedo was 120 and it was 5 degrees farenheit that morning.
Now here is the interesting part: yesterday I was up there and when I first went out in the morning it was 20 degrees and I ran the lake and the sled had not been running that long and I saw 109 on the speedo.
That afternoon when I got back from trail riding 160 miles and the sled was fully warmed up, I went on the lake, it was still around 20 degrees and it just barely hit 100! So I tried something :idea: I took the sled into some deep snow and hung out for a few minutes in it, making sure that the heat exchangers where getting submerged in the snow, and then I ran it on the lake and it hit 109 under the same conditions! The only difference being the engine temperature had been lowered :shock:

I doubt it had anything to do with engine temp, but more to do with hifax and track temp and lubrication. These are the inconsitancies I'm talking about with trail sleds. Big MPH shifts with things that are easly overlooked. Mike Knapp #17

I will be installing a Temperature gauge to monitor it more closely, but the sled is stock and I don't think its running lean, it runs good!

I think Rx-1's just get heat soaked after a while, there are fastest when you first start out. After driving them hard for a while performance does suffer. This confirms what I was tinking this weekend, no top end after running for a few hours, but felt mutch faster after stopping an hour for lunch.

I'm not too sure on that theory...yesterday we were at the end of a 120 mile run and the last 5 miles were on a road where we did some racing. I hit 122 on the dream meter with a 136 Ripsaw and geared down 2 teeth.

Bob , have Warrior too and I've proven the same . Actually it's where the engine temp. is ,not how long you've riden. Consecutive top end runs will result in less speed ,to a point, each time. They need more cooling capacity for sure , though I've never seen the hot light while doing this , but do smell some anti-freeze.

Yamaha now offers an additional heat exchanger that is added on in the rear, I wonder if this would take care of this issue :roll:

Back