• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed / Service Manual

Monsey

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX DX
I have seen some posts (not many) that refer to the top speed, yet there is very little conversation about it. On a good day, my LTX will hit 93mph, am I the only one that feels that is about 10mph lower than it should be?
For what others have posted, it appears this is the norm, and to top it off, the XTX is in the 80's.

This is not really a complaint, more of a request for understanding. The Nytro is a 100+mph sled, why isn't the Viper? My opinion, this comes down to clutching and gearing. It's not easy to gain 10mph with a simple change, but if the Nytro can do it, then there has to be clear differences between the two (other than the obvious... chassis) that can explain this.

Which leads me to my final point. Is there a Service Manual available for the Viper? I had seen in another post that someone thought it was available as a VIP member here, but there was no confirmation on that.

I know there has been a lot of talk about clutching, some around 8DN belt, some around playing with the overall setup. A comparison to the Nytro would be great. And of course, each model varies on setup, gearing, clutch engagement, this makes it harder to compare everyones results. That's where the manual would be very helpful... it would clarify actual factory setup (knowing some came wrong from the factory) and what the differences are, between models and the Nytro.

You guys getting 100mph+ are doing well and I am jealous. On a lake in Canada (very cold and hard pack) the best I was seeing was low 90's. My rpms were a bit high (9050) but even getting the rpms down to 8700ish I cant see gaining 10mph...I really hope it will because I was getting beat on the top by my buddys 09 Fx Nytro. Ran out of snow around here to do any more testing/fine tuning of the clutching.

scott32 said:
Here's a stock Nytro XTX.... Draw your own conclusions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBGkB_mCa8

Put a gps next to speedometer. My rx-1 with stroked 189 hp (dynoed) apex motor and gearing and overdrive would read 138 with 1 tooth on the gear removed and was 132 on radar. my apexs would read 124 and were 112 ish on GPS and radar. My Viper XTX reads 106 and is about 104 on the GPS. The problem is the Yamaha dreamometer has led a lot to believe they are faster than they are.

Anyone have a video of a nytro with gps #'s

Gps was 101, speedo 103 on my Viper. My Nytro I saw 108 speedo last season but in reality it was about 101-102. The one time I had the gps with on that I got 98 speedo and it was really 93 gps. For what it's worth my first year with the Nytro I could hold it wide open for ever and only see 95 on the speedo . Every year I owned it I bested my top speed, they seem to get faster with age. My 108 speedo reading on my Nytro had a tail wind and was on a ice covered road with studs. My 103 on my Viper was in a groomed ditch that was set up pretty hard. I got 103 going one way and 100 the other direction that day so I suspect that the wind helped me out there as well.

Yamadog said:
scott32 said:
Here's a stock Nytro XTX.... Draw your own conclusions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBGkB_mCa8

Put a gps next to speedometer. My rx-1 with stroked 189 hp (dynoed) apex motor and gearing and overdrive would read 138 with 1 tooth on the gear removed and was 132 on radar. my apexs would read 124 and were 112 ish on GPS and radar. My Viper XTX reads 106 and is about 104 on the GPS. The problem is the Yamaha dreamometer has led a lot to believe they are faster than they are.

Anyone have a video of a nytro with gps #'s
If you listen to the video at the end it says 109mph and 110mph gps Darnello was a member on this site and has a couple vids. We all know the nytro speedo was off about 4mph. the 183 is kph wich is 113.71 mph as per speedo -4mph giving the 109mph. no pipes, no clutch kits, ..stock running on slush ice

Well he says thats about 109 or 110 on gps is that cause he did it another time and if he just did it the gps does not say about 109 or 110 at least mine does not!

Yamadog said:
Well he says thats about 109 or 110 on gps is that cause he did it another time and if he just did it the gps does not say about 109 or 110 at least mine does not!

The xtx in my sig pulls the same #s. Has 4000mile on original belt since 09. It has dusted xf7000s and Vipers. They are dogs in stock form.

Back