• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TPI and Jetting

madforR1s

Veteran
We got 15 cm of snow over night, so I got to crack the whip on my 03 RX1 this morning. It was -2 C degrees (just below freezing for you F folks), and when I gave it full WOT, the engine rev'd to 9500 and wouldn't pull. I pulled over and closed the TPI valves and tried it again... Woooh Hooo, the engine barked to life and pull like a bull instantly at ~10,200. Ok, this is good for this time of year, but it is going to be way lean in the colder months, and I am not taking advantage of the extra air of the TPIs when wide open.

I know there are a few posts from 2003 on the topic of jetting and TPI valves, but I thought I would ask and see what size mains people are running. Some suggest 140 mains, others 160s. I know I have to play around to get it dialed in, but what is a good starting point with 3 TPI valves on an stock 03 RX1?

Are you running the stock carb springs??
This could be an issue if so.
I was running 4 TPI w/ 160 mains. RED carb springs.
Would lose power the more I shut the valves.
Ran better than any other stock RX-1 I've come across.
I also ran a TEAM secondary 58-38 .46 red/black
Heelclickers

Otis RX said:
Are you running the stock carb springs??
This could be an issue if so.
I was running 4 TPI w/ 160 mains. RED carb springs.
Would lose power the more I shut the valves.
Ran better than any other stock RX-1 I've come across.
I also ran a TEAM secondary 58-38 .46 red/black
Heelclickers

I'll be trying your set up tomorrow on my 04 Warrior,
I'll let you know how it works!
BM

I ran the Warrior today with 4 TPI valves and the 160 main jets! We just got 10 inches of powder here in CT!

TPI valves wide open, temp around 38 degrees!

It ran good considering the conditions, braking trail, out in an open field.

I saw 10100 RPM,pulled hard, the real test will be in Quebec next month.
I have the Green carb springs, tips removed on primary weights, OSO spring,silver secondary.

Thanks Bob,
so the 160s are doing the trick for you with warm temps and 4 TPI valves. I only have 3 TPIs, so I might start at 150 and see how it goes from there. Why the Red Holtzman springs? Are you at higher altitude than the yellow will allow?

OTIS is color blind or maybe it's the C-12.
I was running the green too, and not the red.
Now I do have a set of green and red for sale if anybody needs a set.
$23.85 includes mailing.
OTIS

Otis RX said:
OTIS is color blind or maybe it's the C-12.
I was running the green too, and not the red.
Now I do have a set of green and red for sale if anybody needs a set.
$23.85 includes mailing.
OTIS

I don't want to hijack this thread but I sent you a PM about the green springs did you get it?

Kyle

Back