• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trading a 2005 RS Rage for a 2012 carryover XTX. Questions.

yamajammer76

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Arctic Cat Riot 600 1.75
Well after 7 good years on the Rage I felt it was time to finally get a new sled for the winter. A little background on me... I live in the middle of the Black Hills so that is where I do 90% of my riding since the trails are just outside my door. Snow can get deep here, but usually we have much less snow and more hard packed trails then then in the "real" mountains. I considered going for a 2013 1.75" but the deal is better on the 2012 and my dealer just thinks that the 1.25" might work better for most conditions here. With that said I have never really had a huge issue with the 1.25" on the Rage and it's actually a little shorter track. I have had the Rage out in the Big Horns and never had an issue, but I sort of watched what I was doing. The fact is that the Rage was never really very good in deeper snow, but I managed on it just fine because it always seemed to have enough power to power out of stuff. I would hope the XTX even with the 1.25" will be better then my Rage in the deeper stuff, but still be really nice on the trails.

Anyhow I hope I am making the right decision on the track. I'm really much more of a trail rider then a back country explorer, but I do like to play around in the fresh stuff from time to time. As long as the new XTX is better then my Rage at that I think I will be very happy.

Second I understand that I am trading into a completely different kind of sled and going from a sit down cruiser to a more aggressive sled that is easy to stand on. That is one thing I always hated about my Rage because it was impossible to stand when things got rough. Is the XTX still comfortable for cruising if I feel like it? I know a new Vector LTX was an option, but I am concerned it will be a little like my Rage in the fact that it is just not easy to play on and feels more bulky then I like. How much less does the XTX weight compared to my old 05 Rage? I don't mind the weight of the 4 stroke, but it would be nice to be a little lighter.

How about the set-up and skis? From everything I have read on here it sounds like the Nytro has gotten better year after year in stock form, however some adjustment might need to be made. Do you recommend riding it first and then seeing how it works for me? What about the stock skis? I read the 2012's had a new ski. Are they decent or should I just plan on a set of the new tuner skis like the 2013s?

I don't have tons of cash so the sled is a big investment and I am not going to throw thousands more into skis, shocks or tracks. I guess what I want to know is if the 2012 XTX is a good sled out of the box for the average rider who is used to an old Rage?

Last, I know the fuel tank is small. How is the range? Getting fuel here in the Black Hills isn't a huge issue, but it would be nice to have at least a safe 100 mile range.

Sorry about the long post. I am supposed to pick it up on Saturday and I'm totally pumped!!! Thanks Yama fans!

Get the 1.75 and tuner skis

I bought an 09 XTX last year from Spearfish motors. 1st thing I did is put Simmons skis on, that helped the handling. I wish I had the deeper lug track. The 1.25 is not very good off trail. Can't wait to get my back country track for my nytro!

Re: Get the 1.75 and tuner skis

raptorman2fast@yahoo.com said:
I bought an 09 XTX last year from Spearfish motors. 1st thing I did is put Simmons skis on, that helped the handling. I wish I had the deeper lug track. The 1.25 is not very good off trail. Can't wait to get my back country track for my nytro!

Well I guess as long as it's better off trail then my Rage I will be happy. I'm getting mine down in Sturgis. I have heard good things about those skis, but I'm sort of interested in the new tuner skis that Yamaha has for 2013. They seem to be priced well.

Anyhow I guess I will just ride it and see how it works before I mess with any upgrades. I heard that the 2012s did have a new ski design. I'm not sure how well they work.

If you havent had problems getting your old sled stuck,then I think your gunna really like the nytro,although putting some aftermarket parts on it makes it that much better.but thats with any sled out there.

100 miles will be about all you'll get after the engine breaks in,,tow the ski's out 1/4 inch

mike3577 said:
If you havent had problems getting your old sled stuck,then I think your gunna really like the nytro,although putting some aftermarket parts on it makes it that much better.but thats with any sled out there.

That's true. Well I do run the trails more then I ever go backcountry so that is why I think the 1.25 will be fine for me. I just sort of worry how the slider wear will be on the 1.75 if you do more trail riding then back country.

I have never gotten the Rage stuck that often, but the few times I did... well I did. lol

I'm just excited to be moving up to something much more modern and I hope when I do go play around it will be easier to handle then my beloved Rage. I love her, but she is sort of a boat.

09NytroRTX said:
I love the 1.75 track. Big difference over the stock 1.25.

So am I making a mistake picking up the left over '12? I am just concerned about slider wear since I spend quite a bit of time on some pretty hard packed trails.

Oh well since I pretty much committed to the '12 and the price is better I guess that's what I will have.

I came off of a 2008 Vector LTX GT ( second gen Rage) and at first I wasn't pleased with my XTX in the deep snow.

Like you said the Vector was manageable off trail, could power through, the XTX was a tank! The first thing I did was put a set of mountain skis on that helped big time! You will be fine with the 1.25" track, I upgraded to the 1.75" 2 seasons ago and it was the best thing I have ever done to any sled I have owned!!! Be warned though, this is an expensive sled to own, mods will drive you crazy! With that said this is the funnest sled I have ever owned too! Love the torque of that Genesis 3 holer!

Well it sounds like new skis will help if I have issues with it stock. The only thing that worries me is that some around here seem to think the Nytro is not acceptable in stock form (or even close to stock form) and it will take thousands to make it work well.

They also have an AC XF 1100 carryover and I used to ride Arctic Cat. I'm sure the cat has a better chassis, however I want a 4 stroke and after riding my Dad's 1100 AC I was not impressed. In fact my '05 Rage would eat it up when it comes to responsiveness and power curve so I can only assume the Nytro has even better power delivery.

I guess I will also have him give me a price quote on a 2013 XTX 1.75" but I know it will be more. It however might be more acceptable out of the box with the new tuner skis, although changing skis isn't a huge deal.

The last thing that concerns me a little bit is that I am buying an orphan. Rumors are still going around that 2013 is Yamahas last year in the snowmobile business, however dealer reps, etc. say that it is a pride thing for Yamaha and there are no plans to stop building sleds. Also if you read any blogs or Facebook posting from factory people it sure sounds like they plan to keep building, racing and improving their sleds.

cheaper ski upgrade is 6.9 pilots, good in the deep stuff push a little bit in corners but no darting. Id ride the sled first and decide what you want it to do better and plan it out for the next year. I have curve skis with the LE and they are fantastic

raginyamaha said:
cheaper ski upgrade is 6.9 pilots, good in the deep stuff push a little bit in corners but no darting. Id ride the sled first and decide what you want it to do better and plan it out for the next year. I have curve skis with the LE and they are fantastic

Thanks for that advice I will keep it in mind. Yes I plan on just taking it out as is and give it a try. The 2012 did have the new trail ski which was supposed to improve darting, etc. over the older ones. If I find too much darting I will look into those skis. I know on every other sled I have ever owned a small amount of toe out is very important. You would be suprised how many people deal with a lot of darting just because their toe out is wrong.

One thing I am looking forward to is I believe the Nytro will do much better when I have to ride the trail back at the end of the day and it is ROUGH. My Rage is impossible to stand on and the old Pro Action skid isn't exactly known for soaking up the big bumps.

I think it will be a good upgrade. Heck I still have carbs!

yamajammer76 said:
09NytroRTX said:
I love the 1.75 track. Big difference over the stock 1.25.

So am I making a mistake picking up the left over '12? I am just concerned about slider wear since I spend quite a bit of time on some pretty hard packed trails.

Oh well since I pretty much committed to the '12 and the price is better I guess that's what I will have.

Biggest mistake I made was running mine with the 1.25 for the first year and stock skis. First Yamaha and I hated it! :o|
Year 2... new backcountry 1.75 , Dual tuner skis, Dupont sliders and scratchers. Now we are talking!! :Rockon:
I run a mixed bag of hard pack trail, back country, hills, etc... it does everything I want it to.
My advise is if you can, get the 1.75 track.

Well I am supposed to pick it up on Saturday. He is giving me a good trade in and the rebates are very good now especially on the 2012. I know the 2013 would be at least $1,000 more and that pushes me pretty hard on the budget.

I guess if the Nytro XTX isn't a very good sled maybe I should just stay on my old Rage, however I just would like something that is a little lighter and sportier in the bumps.

Coming from a 02 viper I can say the ergonomics for the stand up riding are way better on the xtx. Going from one to the other back and forth in the shop it is like night and day difference. Unfortunately I can't attest to the track dilemma as I haven't got to put any seat time on mine outside of the garage. :o|

For what its worth coming from someone who is also on a tight budget and based on the type of riding you do I wouldn't be afraid to take the deal on the 2012, as it seems like a sled you will own for a very long time you can always add stuff here and there as you go while the wallet will allow (and if not well most of my research is showing inexpensive fixes can make significant differences for us on a tight budget). As for the hyfax wear worries, based on the trail riding you do it may be more logical to get a 1.5 lug track down the road rather than the BC. Overall I think the fun factor will be worth it. This is just my opinion though. Ultimately its not any of us who will be riding it but rather you and every rider has their own preferences and feelings.

Back