• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trailer back up lights

Snowseeker

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Vector LTX
Here is something for the trailer section. I have a Triton clam shell and always thought it would be great to install some sort of back up lights that would assist in backing up at night. Seems like most of the time we arrive after sunset. Any suggestions as to what type, style, etc. Summer would be a great time to get this done.

Backup lights are always nice, but they are not part of a 4 wire connection, either you need to switch to a 7 wire setup to get the connection you need, or you need to add a proprietary connection just for them. Napa sells 2 wire connections just like the 4 wire that would be perfect if you went that route. You just have to pull out the tail light and tap into the reverse light power.

For the lights, use LED's, if you want a big light, look for 36W lights in a cast aluminum housing on ebay, here's one style but you'll get the idea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-36W-7-CR...amp-/301059603838?hash=item46188cfd7e&vxp=mtr

Here is what I've been using. Works awesome for plate lights from above, but I've also stuck it all the way across the rear of a trailer (I contact cement or epoxy it in place) 5630 warm white is the "brightest".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-5M-3528-...Domain_0&var=640315557963&hash=item566b142d1c

Backup lights are always nice, but they are not part of a 4 wire connection, either you need to switch to a 7 wire setup to get the connection you need, or you need to add a proprietary connection just for them. Napa sells 2 wire connections just like the 4 wire that would be perfect if you went that route. You just have to pull out the tail light and tap into the reverse light power.

For the lights, use LED's, if you want a big light, look for 36W lights in a cast aluminum housing on ebay, here's one style but you'll get the idea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-36W-7-CR...amp-/301059603838?hash=item46188cfd7e&vxp=mtr

Here is what I've been using. Works awesome for plate lights from above, but I've also stuck it all the way across the rear of a trailer (I contact cement or epoxy it in place) 5630 warm white is the "brightest".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-5M-3528-...Domain_0&var=640315557963&hash=item566b142d1c

Thanks nydiver, yes i know that the wire harness needs to be changed, it is part of the plan. I like the idea of LED's but would like a cleaner mount to the trailer. Does anyone have the original oval style tail lamps that could be mounted the same way they are? If they had those in LED's in a backup light that was what i was thinking of installing. I just don't know if the output would be enough light though.

They do make hella bright led Grote oval style mounts. You'll have to hole saw 2 holes and remove the excess to make the ovals. Not too hard after you've done the 1st one

You definitely want LED lights...much brighter in a much smaller package using much less power.

They do make hella bright led Grote oval style mounts. You'll have to hole saw 2 holes and remove the excess to make the ovals. Not too hard after you've done the 1st one
Thanks nydiver, i'm going to have a look at those lights. It seems like an easy install once the holes are cut.

Your looking for oval worklights. Backup ovals are about 25% as bright as worklights. Grote and truck lite make some in those Grote oval grommet mounts. Somewhat pricy

001.JPG I have installed backup lights on all my trailers, I dont use LED lights, they dont get warm enough to melt the snow and road grim off of them.

alot of light, they are a very nice add on.

all you would need is a flat 5 wire harness that you would install if you have surge brakes to shut them off when backing.

all i did for back lights is add 2 work lights at the top over the rear door and I wired it in with the running lights with an all weather toggle switch on the outside. The only time you need back up lights/work lights is at night so that is why i hooked them with the running/marker lights. I placed my toggle switch at the top on the drivers side so all i need to do is walk to the back flip the switch then back up.works great for loading/unloading at night as well.

Back