• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Orange flame going to finally ride again...for how long?

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Most know the story, 2017 BTX 153 1.75; but on my 3rd engine but first complete long block from Yamaha (dealer assembled middle engine). Heading up to WI next week and I will be riding BOB but my dad is coming and will break in the winder again, for the 3rd time. Let's hope all the coolant stays in the coolant places LOL

Changes this time:
No flash, stock clutching, OEM BOV, back to as much stock as possible for engine. Still have lots of cooling with my vent kit, BOP OG IC guard, ROV delete, and scratchers will be down the whole time, until Dad reverses and ruins them LOL

710 miles I did a full bleed as it was overheating again just loading in the trailer, it now seems to be air free. I plan to bleed the high maint pos on the trip after a few miles just to be sure, plus I am a expert at it now LOL (I put a vid up on Youtube of how I do it). I put a new belt on it after I blew the oem one 2 years ago at 600 miles

When will I start to get into to actual sidewinder problems? Top gear, etc???

Let's hope it stays together!!!
POS.PNG

Good luck you’ve been snake bit for ever. …….. come on let this Nth time be the charm :)

IMO, here is the secret to success with these sleds.
-address the driveshaft early on
-change the top gear bushing once a season or install a DMC top-gear.
-weld the chain roller bolts or use red loctite.
-address clutch alignment. Some mill them, some remove the washer behind the secondary.

My stock top gear bushing was sloppy by 2k miles. Stock belt lasted 1k miles. I removed the washer behind the secondary and switched to the XS825. I’m getting 3,000 miles out of a belt now.

Good luck with the sled! I hope it works out for you this time.

I was going to ask if you were going to take it with you but was afraid to ask. Hope all goes well for Bob and his sloppy second!

So you back from your trip? How did both sleds run?

If something happens to this engine too you need to burn it and send it back to hell or perform an exorcism at the very least lol, good luck!

So how did it do?
One word...flawless.

It started in -4 like it was in a heated shop
Never saw over 174 with scratchers or 181 without
Heated up at idle cooled right back down when we left (I got used to shutting it off really anytime we stopped for more then 30 seconds)
It felt really powerful, like too good to be true power. My shoulders are sore and its a straight up ripper!
It's also the best riding sled in my fleet, way more comfortable then the ski doo or even BOB in the trail chatter, this was surprising to me.
Hard to handle in the woods in tight trails (BTX 40" front stance, and 153), this is to be expected, BOB is easier for some reason even though its same length track

How big is the tank? I did 120 miles on a tank and put in 8 gallons and I wasn't even on the low fuel light. That's 15 mpg for the math challenged, I have never seen that high of MPG

The sled was such a turd when I bought it new, it honestly felt like a 600, the previous tune fixed that, but this new engine rips! I even texted Ulmer asking if he left me a little spice in this "stock" tune and he of course gave the professional answer that I would be bouncing off the rev limiter if it was tuned as I did go back to all stock clutching. Your right your right...

BOB burned after a meth fire so I got to ride back to back and of course BOB is a beast so much faster, but the flame is no slouch and hooks and books.

To recap:
180 miles first engine was a turd
1st trip tuned - put coolant in oil - considered a factory defect with a cracked head near the oil galley NPT fitting and to tight at the factory
2nd engine - put in ARP head studs - Dealer built (No factory yamaha long blocks), 2nd trip failed with same issue coolant, in oil
2nd engine 1 st repair - removed ARP head studs, check head for flatness, everything looked good back assembled - Failed with coolant in the oil, deemed a cracked head again
3rd new engine - Factory longblock - Waited nearly 18 months - tuned back to stock - Finally a ripper.

I need to pull it in the shop to verify the coolant is still in the right spot LOL but I checked on the last day and all was good.
I put more miles on it then all the other trips COMBINED

Trip Wins Vs Loss
1-3
Here is hoping we get to 500 before winter is over :)

So glad you finally got to enjoy your Sidewinder. Sorry about the Apex, I was really looking forward to seeing videos of it ripping. I would love to see you explain to some guy on the lake that wants to race. "Don't worry about that charge pipe running down the side. It's all stock really!" ;)

Love to see your adventures.

So glad you finally got to enjoy your Sidewinder. Sorry about the Apex, I was really looking forward to seeing videos of it ripping. I would love to see you explain to some guy on the lake that wants to race. "Don't worry about that charge pipe running down the side. It's all stock really!" ;)

Love to see your adventures.
I wanted to capture some good footage as well, the sounds BOB makes are intoxicating. After the fire I just wanted to enjoy riding, but was nervous on the flame until the last day when I started flogging it harder, I did show some mechanical sympathy this time in a effort to end the Orange curse :)

Hopefully this is a rekindling of our relationship LOL

Back