• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tri- hub help!

picasso

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper R-TX DX
Supposed to leave Saturday. Just noticed hub is blown apart. Got parts coming tomorrow. New assembly. My question is, does skid have to come all the way out, or can I just drop it down to replace? Not sure how the hub comes out.

Loosen up your adjusters all the way out, should come out no problem, remove axle bolts too.

Have left bolt out, right side is spinning. Adjusters loose. That’s how I left it to go order parts. Ordered 2 wheels. Hope that’s all I need, the shaft appears to be ok. Bearings come with each wheel

Last edited:
651573BD-F672-4EA1-AA24-02D747DDAFCC.jpeg
This is what I got

I’ll have to work on it tomorrow night when I get my parts. Looks like from the parts diagram, the bolt that is spinning should pull out. I bet maybe if I take some pressure off the hub, maybe it will then come out. Hopping it will be a quick fix. Wasn’t planning on this at all. Just looked at all this before we rode a couple weeks ago. Actually had the skid out. Every thing felt great. Today I was washing our sleds off and was planning on loading them in the trailer. Noticed about 3 inches of track sag. Was going to tighten up a bit. That’s when i noticed the hub.

So anyways, if anyone has any advice or tips I’ll take it! Time is not on my side right now. Saturday is approaching fast!

I figured at worst maybe I’d just have to drop it partially. I’m glad it’s at least possible then. The bolts seemed a bit stubborn. But I figured I needed to get to the dealer ASAP to get the parts coming. So I stopped.

It helps to release the tension on the suspension springs, beit torsion springs or shock springs. I'm not familiar with the type of suspension a Viper has though. You could also wrap and tighten a ratchet strap around a couple of torque arms to compress the suspension, thus giving more slack in track tension and easier access.

F9EE5776-B82A-4DD4-B18E-42BC70D7B9E4.jpeg
I’ll try that. Seen a video where he used vice grip to hold shaft loosely. I’m hoping to sneak the hub out like this. Maybe take springs loose and drop 2 bolts from skid and lower skid while supporting track

The shaft is the "nut" in this case. Like Allyammies stated run the other bolt tight then loosen the stuck one. the thread locker can make this a bit tricky. Be sure to use blue threadlock when reassembling.

The way you are lifting will tighten the track.

Retighten and bust other side loose. They have blue loctite on them.
Yes, what allysmmies said, you might want to remove the coupler shaft with block's too, that will help spread the rails a bit to help get the trihub out.

The shaft is the "nut" in this case. Like Allyammies stated run the other bolt tight then loosen the stuck one. the thread locker can make this a bit tricky. Be sure to use blue threadlock when reassembling.

The way you are lifting will tighten the track.
Thanks! Not great pic, I’m lifting by grab handle, track is supported by separate strap. This was from when I replaced shock

Still can’t believe how fast that bearing went. 300 miles since I was checking them. I see the rubber wheel has a chunk missing too.

Last edited:
Jt big wheel kit is a great option as well as Larson racing I believe. Great upgrade from the tri hub. May be something for you to consider down the rd. You do pay for what you get as they are more expensive then factory but will outlast by far.

Back