• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuner or Curve XS Skis

Always an interesting question. When I bought my Nytro in 2017 and was about to embark on what I thought was a front end rebuild including skis I asked the same question. Curves or Tuner IIs. Tuner Is are not an option. The answer comes not with the Tuner II skis / plastics but with the skeg system. I went with the full Bergstrom system, triple points inside, wear bars outside, shims, ski savers and reversed new rubbers, oil light bushings, waterproof synthetic grease and spray on adhesive synthetic hinge lubricant. End result is amazing ability to hold any (I mean any) groomed trial line, bar none. So then we have powder, Tuner IIs are narrow, the Nytro 4-stroke front end is not known for its lightness... End result is a diving front end, limited flotation and steering if you "steer" the engine, but if you leverage the rpm / torque curve we enjoy, you can lighten the front end in powder like you do when riding on water, a lot of track / snow movement lightens the front end and counters the dive tendency of the Tuner IIs. My repeated experience in deep snow (3-5' new snow) in Northern Maine, is when the Doos push through breaking trail floating along, and then offer me to make fresh tracks they assume I will be bummed out or stuck... Not. For my setup, get some spin going and the entire sled rides up and the Bergstrom and dual Tuners almost ride the wave but with the same riding the rail feeling of groomed trails, those riding with me on Doos and Curves, etc comment on how do I do it on Tuners, answer is you are de-weighting the skis with rpm and then they are quite predictable. Some here I am sure will say no way, but yes way, with the Bergstrom full setup it works. Without it, when I first bought the sled, no way, diving and no steering in anything over 3".... Ok, my .02 if you ride 60-70% trails.
Horray, that is allot more than 2 cents worth and it makes sense, that is use the power to raise the front end..I will try that advise. I really haven't had any problem with a few inches, just when there is 6-12 inches of fresh snow. I've got tuner 3's on my sled, I will work the weight transfer for cornering once there is snow. I had a Venture TF that wasn't the greatest in deep snow and the SW 2up is better. If trying to finesse the sled with power doesn't work then a wider ski will be in order. I ride mostly groomed trails but jumping over Grafton Notch and into New Hampshire the trails are not always groomed on ITS 82 in this area...the Maine side of the trails are usually groomed nicely but the NH side takes the groomers a bit of time to get to just because their tail system is much larger. Thanks for the good advise!! Joe

Horray, that is allot more than 2 cents worth and it makes sense, that is use the power to raise the front end..I will try that advise. I really haven't had any problem with a few inches, just when there is 6-12 inches of fresh snow. I've got tuner 3's on my sled, I will work the weight transfer for cornering once there is snow. I had a Venture TF that wasn't the greatest in deep snow and the SW 2up is better. If trying to finesse the sled with power doesn't work then a wider ski will be in order. I ride mostly groomed trails but jumping over Grafton Notch and into New Hampshire the trails are not always groomed on ITS 82 in this area...the Maine side of the trails are usually groomed nicely but the NH side takes the groomers a bit of time to get to just because their tail system is much larger. Thanks for the good advise!! Joe

I think the Bergstrom system (https://www.bergstromskegs.com/oui/tuner_skis.htm) maximizes what the Tuners can do. I thought the Tuner II was the latest one that fits our sled's and the Tuner IIIs were for a different ski saddle, but could be wrong. My Tuner IIs were a deal for the pair and flipping the rubber inserts and their shims and triple points / wear bars makes them rail on trails up to 6-8" of snow, slush, ice, anything. Off trail, they are really too narrow for a heavy front ended sled but I have totally gotten the hang of using the throttle to balance out diving into turns. I have heard Curves are really good off and decent on trail. The wider ski floats, would love to try them at some point. Funny my last ride of the season was through Grafton Notch from ME into NH in 12-18" of late season snow on my 1998 VMAX 700 XTC. That sled has USI skis with Duallies on them, great ride! You are right, enter NH and all ungroomed, ME was corduroy. Try the throttle, works for me... Bring on the snow.

7" Powderhounds with the ski rubber flipped and 8" Bergstrom Tripleponts and Skisavers. Haven't found any conditions where these DON'T shine.

7" Powderhounds with the ski rubber flipped and 8" Bergstrom Tripleponts and Skisavers. Haven't found any conditions where these DON'T shine.
That is the exact combination that is on my short list; I am very happy with the Bergstrom triple-points and skisavers. How do you think the Powerderhounds compare to the Curves?

I have Curves on my Apex XTX. They are a good trail ski but nowhere nears good as stock Powderhounds off trail . Took my high mileage Powderhounds off the Apex when I installed Curves. Now, my Powderhounds are not stock. Scott Bergstrom has allowed me to test some prototype products in the past. Along with his bars, I am using add on outer rails that he was developing. Don't recall the name, but I will upload a picture. These effectively add a 3/8" by 3/4" outer and inner rail to the ski. Helps with ontrail bite but really shine offtrail. Powderhounds would occasionally washout when sidehilling or carving. These all but eliminate that. Here's the picture
20201004_135020.jpg

I have Curves on my Apex XTX. They are a good trail ski but nowhere nears good as stock Powderhounds off trail . Took my high mileage Powderhounds off the Apex when I installed Curves. Now, my Powderhounds are not stock. Scott Bergstrom has allowed me to test some prototype products in the past. Along with his bars, I am using add on outer rails that he was developing. Don't recall the name, but I will upload a picture. These effectively add a 3/8" by 3/4" outer and inner rail to the ski. Helps with ontrail bite but really shine offtrail. Powderhounds would occasionally washout when sidehilling or carving. These all but eliminate that. Here's the picture
View attachment 156508
Cool, Scott's system is best I have tried, bar none. The ski savers are a great idea, what a way to save the skis.

No offence here but I wouldn't buy a thing off Bergstrom all he does is slam all the other vendors and doesnt have a good word to say about really anything unless its his own product. The guy seems like a complete jackwagon!!!!!! Id rather drive my sled head on into a tree thank give that guy 5 cents of my money.

No offence here but I wouldn't buy a thing off Bergstrom all he does is slam all the other vendors and doesnt have a good word to say about really anything unless its his own product. The guy seems like a complete jackwagon!!!!!! Id rather drive my sled head on into a tree thank give that guy 5 cents of my money.
Lol... I guess you really like the guy! I can only comment about my experience, professional, shipped product on time, product works as represented. Sounds like you might have more of a back-story, which is good to share as well... I had to laugh, never heard "jackwagon" before, although I can picture it in my mind! I guess that is why they call this a forum and not a vendor ad... all experiences welcome. I like your 2013 XTX, black from Yamaha, I had to make mine black; curious, what are you running for skis and skegs?

Well, that's why we live in America. You're entitled to your opinion. I DO use other products based on ski/sled/conditions. But to base your opinion on what has been written on the internet rather than practical experience is shortsighted. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has come on this site and criticized someone for expressing THEIR experience or setup. I personally won't do that. I base my responses on MY experience and observations. And I'll NEVER tell you that you're flat out wrong if you disagree with me. Every manufacturer highlights their product in an effort to sway your decisions. Scott is supremely confident in his products. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks, I am a big fan of the black for sure! I have the tuners I like them just fine they are very predicable I have the 6 inch carbide inside and 4 inch outside absolutely no darting. Sure they are not the best deep snow ski but that's what the 1.75 track and body lean is for. On this year's list is the trail tank fingers crossed with all the horror stories on here although they say the new gen is ok. I will also be installing Grizz relocator as the OFT was too tall for me and blocked the entire gauge. Really the best mod I have done is the WRP gauge relocate, its awesome and cheap and brings the gauge where you can see it, also the mountain tech skid plate, and the 1.3 gallon mountain addiction gas can for the yamaha rack of course.

Thanks, I am a big fan of the black for sure! I have the tuners I like them just fine they are very predicable I have the 6 inch carbide inside and 4 inch outside absolutely no darting. Sure they are not the best deep snow ski but that's what the 1.75 track and body lean is for. On this year's list is the trail tank fingers crossed with all the horror stories on here although they saw the new gen is ok. I will also be installing Grizz relocator as the OFT was too tall for me and blocked the entire gauge. Really the best mod I have done is the WRP gauge relocate, its awesome and cheap and brings the gauge where you can see it, also the mountain tech skid plate, and the 1.3 gallon mountain addiction gas can for the yamaha rack of course.
You will like the added fuel capacity. I am not sure which "generation" was installed by the prior owner on my 2009 XTX but I checked for the rub points and no issues. I dont notice the size until I see a stock sled and how nicely the plastics fit! I went with the Tuner's as well and the aforementioned full Bergstrom setup (which from personal experience is the best I have ridden on trails); I like that Scott is passionate, could not imagine making my living on sleds though (and sled rider opinions!). I did a "temporary" PowerMADD pivoting bar mount / riser a few years ago... works really well, none of the funky bar motion but maybe I dont know any better! I found a set of the Yamaha gas "bags" that mount on the tunnel so this year I'll have the 10 gal (trail tank), 1.3 gal (mountain addiction in my rack) and two more 1.3 gal if I use both. I think I will only use one as usually the 11.3 gets me "almost" back before borrowing 0.5 gal from my Doo buddy that carries 10 gal extra!

You can see the trail tank does not fit perfect but they maxed it out to add 3 gallons.

2s.jpg 4s.jpg 8s.jpg7s.jpg

Oh im sure Bergtrom set up is geat I don't doubt that, I just think he should focus on his own product but yes the snowmobile market has got to be a tough game so gotta do what u gotta do. I figure I will try to mount the trail tank and if I dont like the fit she's going for sale and I'll stick to the gas can on back. My sled looks like it came off the showroom floor still and I am very fussy with fit and finish. I'm actually leaning towards selling it before I even attempt to install it, it does have the dzuz fasterners though. Hooray you should have enough gas on board to snowmobile across Maine and back maybe we will see each other in Shin Pond this year and I can bum some gas. Last year there must have been nytro ride because I met like 25 nytros in a row it was pretty awesome.

I figure I will try to mount the trail tank and if I dont like the fit she's going for sale and I'll stick to the gas can on back. My sled looks like it came off the showroom floor still and I am very fussy with fit and finish. I'm actually leaning towards selling it before I even attempt to install it, it does have the dzuz fasterners though. Hooray you should have enough gas on board to snowmobile across Maine and back maybe we will see each other in Shin Pond this year and I can bum some gas. Last year there must have been nytro ride because I met like 25 nytros in a row it was pretty awesome.
I do pay attention to the condition as well but she has 15,000 miles on here so not worried about a scratch here and there, she is ridden hard but not put away wet! We typically start at Shin Pond, head up to Deans (Portage) and go into the North Woods from there. Once you are in the woods, as you know, you have what you carry... last few rides, I have had to borrow 1 gal from a buddy to get back to Deans with about 0.5 gal left, so figure start with one gas bag and should be good! The Doos have dual 5 gal rack jugs on their monster, what are they, 156" or maybe larger tracks, they are loooooong so I would never be stranded, but want to carry what I need.

Back