• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tuner ski carbide setup?

If you are talking about using the 2" stock carbides on the outside, don't bother. Throw them away and put on a new set of anything other then them. They will be toast in 100mi tops. Really your best option is to buy new skis. The tuners are ok in hard pack, but once you are in a little soft snow they corner like a truck. I as well as many others here switched to Curve skis and I don't think I would run anything else ever again (they would also help your 146" float better in the deep). I don't know how things work in CA but if your dealer has access to Parts Unlimited catalogs, you can get most main stream carbides. Allot of people still using the tuners are using Stud Boy Shaper Bars.

I got my new viper and I see stock it has 2" carbide inside and round out side. Sled had tuner 2 deep keel ski.
I'm planning on getting 6" square from dealer for inside and run 2" round on out side. what are you thoughts on this?
I'm going to use the tuner ski and only has excess to dealer runners.
Do you think this combo well work ok?

No, throw the OEM carbides in the trash where they belong. Here's mine after 270 miles

Attachments

• 20150215_135537.jpg
    20150215_135537.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 404
Good idea factory carbides are good for maybe 200km. One square one round is a good start, you can always go more or less aggressive in the future.
Thanks . I had a venture mp with tuner skis and I put 6000 km of first set of 4" carbides

Thanks . I had a venture mp with tuner skis and I put 6000 km of first set of 4" carbides
I had 6" inside and out on mine and it still wouldn't turn,threw them in the dumpster,the worst ski I've ever had on a snowmobile by far

I know a lot of people don't liker the tuner. But I'm going to use them this year for sure. Just asking if 6" square inside would be a good choice and put the 2" on out side.

I know a lot of people don't liker the tuner. But I'm going to use them this year for sure. Just asking if 6" square inside would be a good choice and put the 2" on out side.
Yes put the 6" inside and the 2" outside, just keep an eye on the 2" factory carbide they wear fast, I run stud boy shaper bars both inside and out, on groomed trails it handles nicely with little to none steering effort. But yes in fresh snow they do tend to push a little, use a little brake or engine braking and it'll be fine, but everybody rides diffrent. Imo there on the sled try them out you might like them.

Yes put the 6" inside and the 2" outside, just keep an eye on the 2" factory carbide they wear fast, I run stud boy shaper bars both inside and out, on groomed trails it handles nicely with little to none steering effort. But yes in fresh snow they do tend to push a little, use a little brake or engine braking and it'll be fine, but everybody rides diffrent. Imo there on the sled try them out you might like them.

What part # are you referring to for carbides?

Thanks

I would see if they sell stud boy shaper bars as opposed to that Yamaha OEM branded junk.

Has anyone tried the snowtrackers with the tuner ski?

Ok, think that I am ready to give up on my Bergtsrom 8" triple points on the inside / hard weld on the outside set-up. I added the 3/8" shims that Scott Bergstrom recommended but the sled still pushes badly in the corners. This set-up worked great on my Apex but it is absolutely not working on my Viper.

I am still not understanding why Bergstrom recommends the more aggressive bar on the inside of each ski. I would think that for a better bite you would want the more aggressive bar on the outside since the ski will roll over onto the outside edge of the outside ski during cornering. Perhaps someone can help me to understand this better?

I am really in need of some advice from any of you who have found a good set-up for the stock '15 Viper ski. I know that there are better skis out there but I am hoping that someone has a proven solution for the stock ski. Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm not sure the exact reason, but if you get one of the recommended setups from Yamaha, it also suggests the more aggressive one on the inside of the skis.

Are you sure the issue is your carbides? It sounds like you don't have enough ski pressure. Have you tried softening the front shock on the skid to get more ski pressure? Or, tightening the limiter strap? Or, add some preload to the front skis? All of these will add ski pressure, and may help resolve your issue. I have used Bergstrom's skegs for years, and have always been happy with how they work, and with his advice. Before you give up, make sure that's the real problem.

The ski mechanically rolls to the inside with a turn, the sled rolls to the outside, that is why the recommendations are for more aggressive inside.

If you turn the skis on cement you will see the ski tip or cant to the inside of the turn.

The tuners are not meant to be an aggressive through the corner ski, they are best at NOT darting or Hunting on the trail so very quiet front end going straight. They do track well in groomed firm snow. If you want a ski to turn under power you need an aggressive deep keel ski that will also hunt and dart more while going straight.

Thanks Yamadoo for the explanation on the ski geometry when turning. Now that I think about it some more it makes sense that the inside runner is more important for cornering.

I pulled off my Bergstroms and they look pretty dull. I am starting to think that the triple points are better on a single runner ski than on a dual runner?

I would like to hear some more feedback from others on carbide set-ups that they have found to work good on this ski.

Last edited:

Back