• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo or Super charger? Which is more "turn key"?

excav8ter

Veteran
Hey all, I have been wanting a turbo apex for a few years now and finally have the chance and resources to buy one. But the Apex I am looking at may turn out to be too loud for riding in Michigan. I have another topic started here to address the noise issue, but one poster mentioned going with a super charged sled instead of the turbo.
Which is a better way to go for a guy like me who wants a sled that is as "TURN KEY" as possible?

Thanks everyone, I love this site!

Ben

For trail use the SC is more turn key, turbos just create too much heat and the headers will not take the abuse. Rear mount might be a different story like a MCX but then your limited on track size and studs that you can run.

My SC is as turn key as it gets although there is no such thing entirely. Lots of maint with a boosted sled, driveshafts, gears, chain, etc. I find the suspension is also abused because your moving so much faster then normal big bumps come out of no where.

That said its ALL worth it. Just the sound of a bypass on a blown apex is intoxicating. I would never go with less power.

Also something to think about ski doo toughts hp/weight ratio and that 3lbs for every HP is the goal, with my boosted trail sled I run about 2.8 (lower is better, stock is about 5lbs/hp) and yeah I drove the light weight stuff and NO way is it appealing after a boosted apex!

Should have probably clarified the type of sled I am looking at. It's an 07 Apex MTX. I Guess, honestly I ride 50/50 trails and off trail. But mountain riding is my favorite. I know a turbo sled is probably a handful, but I feel the need to get one and try it. I am not a small guy at 225lbs., plus my riding gear and I am 6'4" tall.

Love my S.C...got it cause of the heat and changing the exhaust..thats a no no here in quebec..they can take your sled off the trails for moded exhaust..I am a turn the key guy...and since I got this dialed in..havent had to even touch it in over 1200 kil..going to miss this next year..my son is 6-4 and hes 260 dry..lol..and 16..hes going to ride my yammie..I am going to 2-smoke.. ;):D

quebecmoutainrider said:
Love my S.C...got it cause of the heat and changing the exhaust..thats a no no here in quebec..they can take your sled off the trails for moded exhaust..I am a turn the key guy...and since I got this dialed in..havent had to even touch it in over 1200 kil..going to miss this next year..my son is 6-4 and hes 260 dry..lol..and 16..hes going to ride my yammie..I am going to 2-smoke.. ;):D

I know nothing about super chargers... what kind of attention do they require? Once they are set up do they require a lot of "tweaking"?

install it , set a/f , and go , mine is a 05 carbed , it has maybe 4000 miles , i check belts , pulleys , sc oil , when i change engine oil once a year , it has never let me down , my mpg is better than our rx1 with filters , as with anything you have to check them.

JSJS... I have an 05 RX-Mtn Carbed. How is it for changing elevations & jetting?
I'm also looking at going to a SC next fall. I ride Trails & Lakes in Alberta 2500' then head to the MTNs to ride 6-8000'. Is there alot to pull apart to get to the carbs?

if you change elevation a lot the superchargers can take a bit more tuning because you can't adjust the boost to compensate for altitude so your clutching needs adjustment

So jetting can stay the same it just needs differnt clutching. That will be easy enough once figured out. Flatland cluthcing & Mtn clutching which is something I already have to do.

With a s/c you will need to change jets. I run 135's at sea level,and 130's at 8000'.

Thanks, ratpack.
So it's no different than my stock sled having to do clutching & jetting for where I ride. Just need to get an A/F gauge & run her hard!!

Yep. Last year I tried running 135's at 8500'. Not good. Ripping down a field at 70 mph, let off the flipper and almost went over the bars. It was so fat the thing shut off. Nothing like changing jets on the first day of a trip. When you do it, let me know. I will help you get a good base line. It is turn key. The only thing I've had to do during the year is I broke a blower belt. That was because I OVER tightened it. Broke at 11000',5 miles off trail,40 miles from where parts were. That was not a fun ride. Hopefully my friend Chiefsledhead sees that I admitted to OVER tightening it. LOL. good luck

I would not buy ANY front mount for an apex regardless of what you read on here. Been there done that bought and replaced the melted plastics!

Love my supercharger. Had some other issues after the install but the charger and the motor always ran great, I just had to get the rest of the sled dialed for the extra HP. Probably 500 miles so far of ear to ear grinning. :yam:

Spoke to the guy who built the sled I am looking at.... he knows the owner and rides with him. He has built "several" apex's with this same set up and they have been nothing short of reliable. His Yamaha rep is stopping in tomorrow to see if a muffler can be added as well as to hopefully check the Db. level if possible. i am cautiously optimistic about this.... kinda getting exited about the thought of a tapex.

Back