• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbos have ruined me

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
PXL_20230105_223913686_copy_1536x2040.jpg

So I recently picked up an 800 RR and I have been driving it around the yard and not venturing very far with it because it has no gauge. But it's pretty peppy and light.

So then I start looking at mods for the zuke, y-pipe, head mod, pipe, maybe a port. Then I realized that gets me at.most 10-15hp for probably about 1500-2grand and may just take a little life off the zuke.

So yeah turbos have absolutely spoiled me. Probably just going to stud it and maybe play with the clutching and leave the engine alone.

Not all turbos are cheap to mod.

The Doo 900R power adders are spendy.

We are spoiled by the 998. We may never see anything like it again once it’s gone.

My 800 had a SLP single setup, different gearing and clutching and a home made wrap, sled was an absolute riot to ride, on or off trail, light and quick. As you said, dollar per hp was crazy.

Attachments

• 800ZR.jpg
    800ZR.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 45
Got the good 800 in it.. They burned some oil and gas but they lasted!!!!
Yeah we went on a trip last year with a zuke 800 rider and they couldn't believe the oil it went through.

Most of them sell their sleds when they hit 5k. Hopefully this one will go double or triple that.

Vibrates like no other at idle though. I've only owned 600-700 twins and 800 above triples. This is my first big twin.

Vibrates like no other at idle though
Yes they do.. You give some gas and it smooths right out. 10K was common on that motor STILL holding decent compression.(as long as you run good oil). It had its flaws for sure as they all do but I consider it one of the best 800 twins ever built.. They never ran hot and made good power.. lots of oil consumption probably had something to do with longevity and running cool. We always turned down the oil pump rod a few turns on these to get them running less oil. They were very FAT from the factory. All the new twins burn way less oil.. My 2021 8000 runs hot always unless the scratchers are down.. I sure hope new Cat comes with a good 800 class motor.. The "cat built" 800 has been nothing short of terrible IMO..

Cat is making a "bigger than 800 motor" in 2025 but I do wish they would sell either an over bored 600 or an under bored 800, say a 700 size and then sell it.

I said this thing vibrates but I had a Xc 700 twin and it was still smooth. I took an 850 Polaris for a ride and the flipper was vibrating like crazy. We will see how this 800 does but I may be a person that doesn't need a bigger than 600 twin 2 stroke.

Back