• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tweaked sub-frame on '12 XTX

yamajammer76

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Arctic Cat Riot 600 1.75
Well this was my own fault, but I hit a rock under the snow today and after I noticed my left shock isn't in the center anymore. It still has plenty of clearance, but it is back about 1/4" or so compared to the right side. Upon close inspection I noticed a tiny bump in the middle plate circle which usually indicates a slight subframe tweak.

I guess my question is does it hurt just to ride it like this? I mean if it gets worse I would have the thing replaced, but it still handles the same. Both ski tips are still pretty much in-line with possibly an 1/8" or less difference and both spindles are still running close to the same angle. It just seems like if this is something that happens often I might as well just ride it because if I replace it... it will probably just happen again.

Anyhow it's my brand new sled with about 600 miles on it so you know how it goes. Sort of that sad feeling you know it's not 100% correct anymore. I did see a Cat that hit a big one today that had the entire spindle pushed back into the bellypan so at least I am comforted knowing it could have been much worse.

It will be fine. I just took a bar and bent it back straight. rode it bent for over 1000 miles. My 2009 tweaked when I loaded it up... right after writing the check for the sled...
A Grizztracks gusset kit will beef up the sub frame.

I bent mine in the middle of last season and rode the rest of the year out. I fixed it in the off season. Bent it back. Welded in the Grizz gussets and you can't tell it was ever bent. It luckily came out perfect.

I just made repairs for a guy that hit a downed tree on the trail. He hit hard enough to bend the left side Split Rail spindle and a-arm. The impact also sheared the left a-arm mounting bolts and bent the right side bolts. The only damage to the previously gusseted subframe was a couple of egged out mounting holes which I repaired by filling with weld and grinding them back to the proper size. I also welded the the a-arm mounting nuts to the frame to prevent future damage. He purchased a used a-arm for $100 and needed a couple Ulmer bushing. The split rail spindle will be costly but at least there's not the expense of a subframe replacement.

grizztracks said:
I just made repairs for a guy that hit a downed tree on the trail. He hit hard enough to bend the left side Split Rail spindle and a-arm. The impact also sheared the left a-arm mounting bolts and bent the right side bolts. The only damage to the previously gusseted subframe was a couple of egged out mounting holes which I repaired by filling with weld and grinding them back to the proper size. I also welded the the a-arm mounting nuts to the frame to prevent future damage. He purchased a used a-arm for $100 and needed a couple Ulmer bushing. The split rail spindle will be costly but at least there's not the expense of a subframe replacement.

Wow I guess your kit really works. I'm glad I didn't do much damage. I saw a guy on an Arctic Cat a little later in the day that found a huge one in a valley and his whole spindle was mangled back into the belly pan. As for now I'm just going to ride it and if it gets hit again or gets worse I will have a local shop tear it down and I might look into your plate. I think the factory braced it up enough where you will be ok if you never hit anything... however how many people never hit anything?

I know people have criticized Yamaha for these subframes and it would be nice if they came stronger from the factory, but Yamaha is not alone. Ski-Doo has the same exact issue with their "nuns" and "s-modules" and at least the Nytro ones appear much easier to replace. I'm not sure about Polaris and Arctic Cat. I know my Dad tweaked his bulkhead on his Arctic Cat Z1 when he hit a tree. They replaced the A-arms on one side, but the shock is now no longer quite centered. Considering the sled is an '07 they just told him to ride it because replacing a bulkhead on a Twin-Spar is not easy. I had to replace the bulkhead on my '05 Rage when a rock broke off the tab that held the sway bar. That was a $2,000 job, but I claimed insurance. I won't claim insurance unless it gets really messed up. I hate seeing my rates go up.

I hit a culvert going very slow (5-10 mph)with my left split rail ski. Took a chunk out of the inside edge, of the outer rail, and I went over the handlebars! I noticed when i got home, the shock on that side was out of alignment, and sled was sitting lower on damaged side, so brought it in for service.

Twisted front frame, bent a-arms, $2200 plus a new split rail ski.

It was interesting looking at the broken parts, following the path the shock wave took to the frame. There was a bite taken out of the ski, a very small dent (and bend) in the lower A arm, a similar dent (and bend) in the upper a-arm, and a good one inch bend on a frame mounting bracket. It all looks pretty minor, but added up the sled was listing by a few inches!

Got everything replaced in a few days (accident Monday, sled completely repaired by Saturday). Expensive though.

Also lost pressure in left shock, no blown seals, just had to be recharged.

2011 XTX

We feel your pain. It doesn't take much at all to tweak the subframe. Early season last year I was riding on 10" of snow on a road going about 20 km/hr and right ski carbide hooked the edge of a rock on the woods road. When we stopped I just shook my head when I seen the shock off centered. Very "delicate" for sure!

2 years ago i was riding down the side of some railroad tracks, my left ski dug into old rail junk on the side and burned a hole in my ski, it then caught sending me over the bars. I wasn't even going at walking speed, bent the subframe nicely :).

I don't go near tracks anymore, lesson learned. I could only imagine what would have happened if I was clipping along.

Back