• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Twin Turbo ?

Turbo Tim

TY 4 Stroke Master
Woke up at 4:30 this morning ..............Thinking about Frt mt cpr Turbo , Running back to a Bender rear mount turbo, Low compression pistons ............Here's the big question ......can you use the exhaust from the front turbo to power the rear turbo ,or would both turbos need the exhaust directly from the engine ...........SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS !!! ..........Because right now it sounds like a fun summer project. ;)!

Mazda ran a sequential twin turbo on their 1993 to 95 rotary engines. Any thing is possable $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :ORC

I heard that the latest with the auto industry is that twin turbos arent really an advantage anymore. What would be the purpose?

I think what you do is put a small quick spool turbo first and a large high boost second to eliminate the lag. Sounds like some never ending tuning and engineering.

Ed L said:
Run 2 cylinders into each Garret 25 turbo Quick spool-up and Greater boost. :Rockon:

I wonder if the distance would be a problem , 1 turbo at the front of the sled and 1 at the rear .

What I would do is build a new gas tank. have them sit side by side. I don't think it's a good Idea to run them different distances the problem is going to be HEat. Now you've got 2 1800 degree heat sources

HA! I posted on that subject (twin turbo challenge).
Like i say, tracktor pull's guys are using up to 4 turbos :moon: ,3 stages,
2 into one into one with water injection between each stages (intercooling)..
If i had the do's... to do it i would try a big rear 1st. stage into a smaller
front 2 nd. stage.. Use the rear mount charge tubo cooler (bender) and,
after 2nd, turbo, a air to air...But this would be an overkillllll project
for shure! 30~ 40 psi boost :drink: POOR ENGINE :shock:

My uncle had a 4 charger International diesel Super Stock tractor a few years ago before the alcohol tractors really started to take over. 200 lbs of boost on his Hypermax turbo setup! He sold his tractor over to England where the guy ran it for a few years and now has switched it over to alcohol instead of diesel. Check out the tractor at http://www.tractorpulling.com/info/tractors-ss.html and his is the tractor now named "Red Alert". What these guys do with boost is simply amazing!

redalert.jpg

200lbs...that's retarded!! The boost gauge must look like a monster tach lol.

Twin turbos are rarely worth the effort. Supras and RX-7s both came with twins and anyone who modded them changed to a big single. I do like the idea of a little one up front spooling a big mofo in the back though.

Ed L said:
Run 2 cylinders into each Garret 25 turbo Quick spool-up and Greater boost. :Rockon:

No, 2 Garrett GT15's. Garretts newest little BB Turbo Rated at 200hp. No Lag on this one. Would love to see someone do it. Even on a single kit this thing would rock! 200hp on a front mount, I bet it would run 8-10lbs with Supercharger like throttle response!

Attachments

• gt15.jpg
    gt15.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 87
I always thought it would be really cool to have 4 little tiny turbos, one at each exhaust. Somehting like the little veramic one the seca had.

Back